Waterproof reels testing

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Waterproof reels testing

Postby Edstar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm

So after I started offshore kayak fish a couple of yrs ago my estuary and bay reels soon got wrecked. It was time to upgrade but didn’t want to spend too much $$$. And didn’t know what to get. For my spinning option I picked.
Penn spinfisher v around $250
Banex kingpin around $180
And kastking sharky 2. Around $50

Some are water resistant some have sealed drag some are waterproof. All of them have had a tough life offshore and used approx equally. And just rinsed under a hose after use.

So just under 12months in and the first reel to play up is the sharky 2. U get what u pay for I guess. This little reel has been great actually. Caught a few mackerel with it. For under $50 it has a smooth 25kg of drag and meant to be waterproof but not quite. The handle completely seized couldn’t spin it at all. 2 weeks prior it was 100%. So took it apart and found some corrosion on the handle bearing. Water had been getting in where the handle joins the body. So inox it and greased it all up and it good as new. Drag still smooth and handle spinning with no resistance.
So I have a 5000 size reel. But it’s small look more like a 3000. Spooled with 30lb braid under heavy load I feel movement thru the handle. I’m guessing that’s how water enters. So in hindsight if u keep the tightening the handle nut it could be more waterproof.
Overall I still think is a great cheapie especially after the abuse I put it thru. And I would call it water resistant not waterproof. But probably faired much better than my old Jarvis walker.

The spinfisher and kingpin are still going strong so haven’t needed to service them yet. Which is pretty good considering that things get wet.

Edstar.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Re: Waterproof reels testing

Postby Paulioq » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm

interesting read I got penn ssv3500 on a pe2.5 jig stick which makes a great medium size bait combo (longer back end is good to tuck under the arm fighting snapps and reefies). it has had the knob seize on the handle nothing some possum pizz couldn't fix. and the roller has need'd attention but been ok other then that. I have had daiwa reels hold up best of all and not the mag sealed units just scummy 2500 aird x and 2000 exceller I have been very impressed with how they are coping in kayak conditions, with salt spray etc.

never been a beliver that big money buys the best gear have up graded my cheap daiwa's with carbon tex washers I have cut my self(sheets available on ebay) and made ok cheapie reels into something that feels a lot higher end with a simple drag up grade
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Postby Cubits » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 pm

I really rate the spinfisher v. Despite being a shimano guy my whole life, after i went with a squall for my offshore overhead i was pretty sold on penn. Gave the 5500 ssv a shot, and it has been flawless so far this summer.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby Paulioq » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:39 pm

yeah they are good cant say I would buy another one I have a penn battle2 3000 I'm trying to kill at the moment with grassy emperor and snapper but it keeps going. aparantly the gear sets are a bit week and will strip a tooth under high load. I'm trying to find out will let you know. I stick to diawa exclusively now they lay the line on a lot better and penns are renownd for being prone to wind knots just because of the way it lays the line on the spool.(very parallel to each other where diawa has more of a cross so the line doesn't bite into itself)
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby jonnie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Van Staal
the only waterproof reel,thinking i might buy another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7OQmfOkxU
jonnie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South Australia
Kayaks: 4m Cobra

Postby unsinkable 2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Shimano saragosa gets my vote and I've tried a fair few others. The amount of times mine has been thrown in the hatch before the kayak spends a bunch of time upside down in the surf with saltwater and mackerel slime absolutely coating it is a bit ridiculous, and it's still going strong. Has been dunked without trouble too. Opened it up after a particularly slimy session as a precaution and not a drop of water made it inside.
Shimano spheros is the same by all accounts (and extremely similar by design except worse drag washers and a lower gear ratio).

Can recommend without hesitation.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby BrendanH » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 am

Has anyone been using Shimano Stradic CI4s for brackinsh estuary fishing? Any idea how they hold up?
BrendanH
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin

Postby Cubits » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Stradics can deal with a dunk every now and then. I've dipped one a few times, and a gentle hosing off when home (no pressure) always sees it right again. I've pulled it apart and it was all good.

But with depth or force or sand it won't stand up like a more sealed reel. Stay away from the surf and they'll last ages.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Apparently the worm gear in Stradics are more sensitive to developing issues if they get water inside (compared to the locomotive gear in Saragosa's etc.). Can't comment as to how waterproof they are but definitely support Saragosas/Spheros as the most water resistant of the reasonably prices spinning reels available. They also tolerate getting water inside and subsequent cleanup better than most.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby jonnie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

There is the new KastKing Sharky III reel to consider if on a low budget
I just ordered the 4000.I'm interested to see what's it really like
jonnie
KFDU Angler

Postby Paulioq » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:54 am

its a contradiction of terms to say get a good real for cheap money. depends what you call cheap can get a magseald daiwa td sol for $350 or a bg avarages around half that both great reels. not sure why diawa gear isn't more popular you get a lot more reel for the money you pay and I don't like the worn in felling you get straight out of the box with shimano. if you service any reel and keep the lube and grease in good condition any reel is going to last you a while. but its also water in the drag washers and rollers and bale arm that kill a reel quicker then gear damage
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby unsinkable 2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

Paulioq wrote:its a contradiction of terms to say get a good real for cheap money. depends what you call cheap can get a magseald daiwa td sol for $350 or a bg avarages around half that both great reels. not sure why diawa gear isn't more popular you get a lot more reel for the money you pay and I don't like the worn in felling you get straight out of the box with shimano. if you service any reel and keep the lube and grease in good condition any reel is going to last you a while. but its also water in the drag washers and rollers and bale arm that kill a reel quicker then gear damage

Can't fully self-service any magsealed reel as daiwa won't sell the fluid. Big disadvantage IMO.

While gears can take a lot more of a beating long-term than those other smaller parts in a reel, the moment they get salt in them they become unusable until cleaned again. Not ideal to have to service a reel after every time fishing. Gear damage is still the worst thing that can happen though as gears are extremely expensive to replace, unlike a roller bearing or a drag washer (which, if carbon, are also pretty hard to kill).

Daiwa BGs are definitely good quality reels for the price with quality components that can take a beating, but they're definitely not sealed. It is still a case of, as you said, regular servicing and keeping them cleaned and properly lubricated, which in the context of true offshore kayak fishing is a pretty hard ask for the owner. Each to their own though!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby Edstar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 am

jonnie wrote:There is the new KastKing Sharky III reel to consider if on a low budget
I just ordered the 4000.I'm interested to see what's it really like

It’s interesting that the new version is advertised as shielded drag and water resistant. Not waterproof as the old version was advertised as. But after me using it was false advertising.
Hopefully they improved the handle as well. i hate the movement when under heavy drag. It feel like it almost bendable.
Wash it clean it and it should serve u well as a durable reel. Let us know ur thoughts after u broken her in.

Paulioq wrote:its a contradiction of terms to say get a good real for cheap money. depends what you call cheap can get a magseald daiwa td sol for $350 or a bg avarages around half that both great reels. not sure why diawa gear isn't more popular you get a lot more reel for the money you pay and I don't like the worn in felling you get straight out of the box with shimano. if you service any reel and keep the lube and grease in good condition any reel is going to last you a while. but its also water in the drag washers and rollers and bale arm that kill a reel quicker then gear damage

$350 for cheap reel. My wife would have a heart attack. :lol:
Haven’t tried Daiwa my brother in law likes them but I’ve mostly used Shimano until recently. If u think Shimano feel worn out if the box u don’t wanna try my penn. but I think durability is more important for the offshore yakking.

Most reels I think will survive if filled with grease and service regularly. I wasn’t saying I was never gonna service my reels. Just testing the longevity before needing to do so. Especially since I’ve purchase a couple of non mainstream brands. Just putting out some option out there.

Edstar.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Paulioq » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 pm

when people ask how much I pay for my rod and reels I don't usually tell :wink: but I should keep this thread on topic and stay with how waterproof reels are and not the general durability of them and the components. I know maintance is a pain and admittedly all I do is rinse of my reels and line after each use but I do keep some reel oil handy and drag grease and the rollers get oil once a month or every few trips and drags get pulled apart re-greased about every 6months.

I got a few penns ssv3500 ssv4500ll 3000battle2 the ssv's are holding up well(even impressed with them) but they are a sealed reel with gasket and water proof drag but as for the penn battle well its ok but there not sealed starting to feel a bit crunch but I pulled it apart scene no corrosion re greased it put it together and its still crunchy. must be a gear alignment/meshing issue comeing back to build quality. i started of with shimano moved to penns and am now happy with daiwa's

straight from the bureau of usless information: i was cutting carbontex washer for some of my reals one night and a daiwa airdx2500 has 3 washer with a diameter of 17mm and the shimano baitrunner 8000oc also has 3 washers but there 16mm??? biger real with smaller washers???? if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck its usually a duck
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby jonnie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

One time while night beach fishing my Penn 8500ssm had fallen over in the surf,would have been in the water for 5 mins.I opened it up the next morning to find it dry inside.Water doesn't get into a reel that quick.
As for the Kastking which as far as i know has always been advertised as water resistant,ok for a dunk it could probably be underwater for a few minutes like when there's a overturned yak.
jonnie
KFDU Angler

Next

Return to Tackle Talk