Obsessive

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Obsessive

#1 Post by clutch » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Hate to be obsessive, but am looking at Atomic Shiner for tailor, salmon and flathead in Silver Wolf colour, Would you go 60 mm or 75 mm? Thoughts?
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Obsessive

#2 Post by Ads22 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:30 pm

G'day clutch, haven't fished for, or caught Tailor. However, I gather they are aggressive little suckers and I don't think there would be much difference between the two. Perhaps the 75 might get you a bit of extra casting distance.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#3 Post by Green Hornet » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 am

Personally, I'd be looking at getting more than just 1 lure. In harbour/estuary environments, salmon in particular can be fussy little buggers and matching your lure size to the bait they're feeding on is essential.
I wouldn't go any larger than the 75 and try to get a few different ones down to around 40mm. I guess if it could be only one, something around 50mm would be my pick.
Off the beaches they're totally different animals and will pretty much hit anything that moves.

SureCatch Bishops and Knights are a good metal lure and reasonably priced. To me colour doesn't matter because the first thing I do is remove the reflective tape and go full chrome (old school).

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#4 Post by Steve R » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am

I regularly lose many lures to Tailor hitting knots. My record came this year was seven lures in one session. Mostly they hit the trace's FG knot but a couple of times the slice was part way along the leader. You could only guess whether they were hitting leader or the leader was hitting teeth. These were only 35-40cm fish, obviously in a voracious mood. Other times large fish have been lost in a manner that indicted they took the lure deep enough for their teeth to touch the leader during a fight. The point is if you find a school of Tailor, have some inexpensive metal on hand to toss at the EDGE of the school. A lure through the middle of a school is even more invitation to trouble.

A clip that enables a fast lure swap will help keep the lure out of water time to a minimum. In my experience, nothing enables a faster swap the style pictured below. They are also incredibly reliable. If you get genuine Fast Link brand, when they claim 20lb, they mean it. I've had Salmon bend and gradually open over a session 20lb rated rings but never had an issue with a Fast Link clip ... other than loss due to Tailor, etc. :tire:

Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#5 Post by Marty75 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 am

I use a clip with swivel to help with line twist for the longer casts.

Marty

Return to “Tackle Talk”