Small overheads reels

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
savit
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney North Shore
Kayaks: DAG Midway

Small overheads reels

#1 Post by savit » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi All,

I have got several old small overhead reels - Penn 500 / 505HS Jigmasters and Daiwa Firewolf 40H. Drag is limited to 8-11lb with stock washers.

Considering giving them 2nd fishing life mainly due to their 'waterproofness' (bushings). 505HS though has ball bearings and a bit higher retrieve.

Is there anything they can do on a kayak better than spin reels?

Thanks a lot.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Re: Small overheads reels

#2 Post by Paulioq » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:15 am

jump on ebay and grab a sheet of carbontex drag washer material about .7mm then you can cut your own washers and turn an old reel or a cheap reel into something that works and feels great. can do heaps of reels with a a5 size sheet and it will definitely up those drag rateings. also over heads are for live baiting and trolling not sure if the do anything better then a spin reel but is personal preference. if your chaseing bigger targets the extra line capacity is crucial and that's where they out do a spin combo because to have the same line on a spin reel you need maybe an 8000 size which is a lot bulkier then an overhead.

savit
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by savit » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Wanted to upgrade all drag washers for ages - only recently got a tool to measure the washers thickness properly.

Will try Daiwa O/H first (it is almost 200g lighter than Penns) for bottom fishing - to stay in touch better with the bottom (hopefully not permanently).

Will consider Penns when plenty of line will be required. So far I did not have long runs on a kayak - either the catch was too small or drag was too tight.

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#4 Post by Marty75 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 am

I've been wanting to upgrade the drag on my Penn Jigmaster for a while now. Will do a google search on how to do it.

Marty

savit
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by savit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am

Marty, plenty of info on alantani, fishing forums and youtube. Check also what Penn Jigmaster model you have. Usually it is suggested to upgrade drag washers in newer (Chinese built ) Penn 500 as they have stronger internals - and better overall upgrade results. Older (US built) Penn 500 have softer brass components while 505 HS has higher retrieve (and weaker) gear - therefore washers upgrade will impact more drag smoothness rather than stoping power. Do you use your Penn Jigmaster on a kayak for other purposes than livebaiting and trolling?

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#6 Post by Marty75 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am

Hi Savit,

Yep need to check Alan Tani online. I've got a couple of the newer (cheaper) Chinese built ones. Only trolling and live baiting off the kayak, no casting.

Cheers

Marty

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#7 Post by Paulioq » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:03 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbontex-C ... SwcldUY1DI buy that

[googlevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIj532KL3kg[/googlevid]watch this

job done

the reason for .8mm is because your replaceing felt washers that squeeze and compress under drag preasure .8mm will fit no problems

yes some penns like ssv have thick drag washers but there from factory with space for them, thickness doesn't affect the smoothness and the reels I have done are still going strong(greased annually and the washers look untouched after a second year)

even if you don't want to increase your drag preasure it will greatly improve the initial drag feel and and operation and I like mine let off, you can always crank them up if you feel like poping braid.

funny story original shimano baitrunner 8000 has 16mm external diameter washer x3, daiwa aird x 2500 has 3x 17mm washers. lol. makes you wonder how shimano build there reels. a lot of work for a smaller washer pack

Return to “Tackle Talk”