Catching Bream on HB's and surface lures.

This section contains an archive of KFDU's best topics/posts submitted by it's members.

Catching Bream on HB's and surface lures.

Postby T-curve » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Catching bream on HB's and surface lures.

As promised, here's something i wrote up a while back mostly on surface fishing for bream and ive now added some more information regarding hardbodies. There's probably a million versions out there on how people go about it, but once again this is what has worked for me in the past for the areas that i fish. Bream are one of these fish that run hot and cold and what you catch them on one day may be totally different the next. Its just a matter of finding out what makes them tick on the day.

Ill start with the description of the gear i use for both scenarios.

I prefer a 6'8 to 7'3 ft 2-4kg fat taper rod ..makes casting further easier as long as your comfortable using that in a yak and make sure its not to sloppy.

A 1000/2000 size reel with a smooth drag definitely helps.

Anything from 2lb to 6lb braid or you could run 2lb/4lb mono or flouro straight through for certain areas but i prefer braids. (The braid will also help you detect bights if they are being a bit finicky and is very sensitive due to virtually no stretch and i my opinion easier to cast small lures with). Also the same weight for the leader for that matter unless your fishing really nasty country and have to upsize to suit, once again the lighter line allows you to cast further. ( i prefer flourocarbon as my leader and the brand ive been sticking with is sunline FC Hard rock)

Use small lures in the 3.5cm - 5cm range and floating Minnows that can rise to the surface work best.

Now areas i fish and where you should be aiming for are once again areas with STRUCTURE such as fallen timber,rock bars,weed beds and drop offs, gravel and dredge beds, wharves, jetties, moored boats, rock walls, bridges, under overhanging trees and deeper water where a sounder might tell you the story. Oh and better not forget to mention the oyster racks if your game enough...lol. Its simple, all these areas provide food, shade and cover at some stage of the day or year for that matter,hence why the bream are there( Generally in the lower reaches during the cooler months and moving upstream after spawning and as the season begins to warm again) . Tides are another factor that will determine there where abouts also. Now fishing any of these locations may require different techniques depending on there food source, frame of mind, fishing pressure, time of day/tides/weather and the structure you will be fishing etc. But the same approach should pretty much be the same before deciding on what leader/lure etc to go with first. Ive always got more than one rod anyway, you just dont know when you might see some activity that suddenly requires a different approach. Eg..some surface action, might be some bream rounding up prawn on the surface or if you have polaroids, you might see some bream rolling on submerged timber chewing on some barnacles.

Either way, one of those most important factors for me is stealth and something i cant stress enough!! Bream can spook way to easily and being quiet about your approach and keeping your distance from where you want to cast will certainly improve your chances, as long as you are quiet and control your drift and make accurate casts. Keep on the move and keep casting to any likely looking structure. You will rarely catch more then 1 or 2 bream in the one location, but it does happen occasionally on those days where they just about eat anything that's thrown at them...lol. If you have had a shocker in the casting department, wind in and have another go, otherwise your wasting your time!!

Fishing slow is the way to go but mix your retrieves up and lure techniques with plenty of pauses and twitches. There's no real wrong or right way but just think your trying to imitate a wounded or dying fish and if bream think its going to be an easy meal they will grab it.Bream are by nature not big movers and are fairly opportunistic. They wont bother chasing something if it races past so keep the pace slow as you can to keep them interested. The trick is to attract them and then stop the retrieve and allow the lure to rise slowly towards the surface (these are the suspending/floating types of course). But make sure you keep them interested by twitching and jerking the lure here and there and usually during a pause they will nail it. For whatever reason, bream can't stand this and after getting there attention, more often then not just have to have a sample..lol. Also with Hard bodies, let them sit for a sec after you cast, as you may get a surface strike, yes even on a hardbody if there in the mood then twitch them nice and slow with a stop start retrieve amongst and around the structure your fishing. Suspending/floating types are great in rough country and once you get the feel for it you can soon work out what's a fish and what's a snag. If you think your about to get hooked up, just simply stop retrieving and allow the lure to float over the snag. Polaroids really help you look under the surface so you can plan your retrieve.

If you suddenly drop a fish on a popper or hard body in the early stages, don't wind straight in,start twitching and jerking it again, you can pretty much guarantee there will be others following ready to pounce on it.Trying something totally different in hard fished areas may help get results to and it helps to have a few options when it comes to locations so you don't continually flog the same area. That pretty much sums it up on the hard body scene and this last bit i originally wrote for surface fishing but some of it will relate back to the above, so for surface fishing just take note of the appropriate points below.

1. Fish low light periods or areas.

2. Cast well ahead of you as far as you can with accurate casts towards structure/over hanging trees where you think fish are holding. If there is a lot of traffic or someone is ahead of you already working the area where you wish to push into...FORGET IT...move elsewhere. Bream spook way to easily. Even yourself will have to keep on the move as you will rarely catch a second fish in the same spot but it happens occasionally.

3. As stated above, cast accurately, they don't like to move to far away from there den and just let the lure sit for as long as you can in the strikezone, using the the tip of your rod to twitch the lure as if its an insect fallen out of a tree struggling. You can try a retrieve style but make sure you have plenty of pauses. either way, try and keep them interested. If you think you done a shit cast, wind in and cast again, otherwise your wasting your time.

4. Bream have small hard mouths, make sure you have sharp trebles and i replace mine almost every trip depending on how they look after the last session (I regard good hooks as absolutely vital if you want to maximize your bream results). A bream grabbing something of the surface is like us bobbing for apples unlike a bass with its big mouth can inhale the lure.

5. Never strike just because you seen them come up for the lure. Wait until they have actually grabbed it and pulled it under or you line begins to tighten. At this stage you can apply pressure and set the hooks, as you have to make those little trebles penetrate into there hard mouths.

6.Using surface lures around nasty structure will increase your chances of getting the fish out as opposed to pulling them out from the deep, that's assuming they are taking that type of lure on the day. but if there not...lock the drag up and be prepared to lose a few lures in the process.

7.In the end stealth and long casts are the key.

8.Get out there and practice, its the only way :wink:
Cheers
Adrian

Tarpon 100

T-curve
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Midnorth coast

Return to The 'Lock Box'