Bass in the Steep Country

This section contains an archive of KFDU's best topics/posts submitted by it's members.

Bass in the Steep Country

Postby jonesy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am

[Mod Edit Original Story Here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5318]

Unfortunately for some reason I can’t remember where I was last week :shock: (due to being blindfolded and threatened with grievous bodily harm if I revealed the location of this little piece of heaven). :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK the plan was to have a mates chopper drop our gear into the area and then hike in Tuesday morning, spend 3 days on the river then hike out Friday :cool: , unfortunately 1 of the guys had to pull the pin due to last minute work commitments so it was now down to the 2 of us the real bummer was he was the 1 with the chopper, so now we had to make the call on whether or not we wanted to carry all our gear in on foot AH WELL no pain no glory lets go for it. :[]:

The 3 of us to got together and packed our gear Monday night and made sure we had everything covered without doubling up, BUGGER I forgot my tent :oops: hmmmnn weather looks good she’ll be right hope there’s no mozzies, food wise we grabbed pasta for dinners, and muesli bars for lunch exciting stuff (had to cut down on weight so we could get a bottle of rum each):evil:
Also formulated backup plans in case something went wrong (EPIRB packed and chopper would come looking for us if they hadn’t heard from us mid afternoon Friday).
Time to sit back and have a quiet beer and show off some toys I’d bought with me amongst comments of GEE WIZ I’d leave that behind and take a tent. :lol: :lol: Was all excited and the alarm went off way too soon.

Alarm bells started to ring when we dropped off the pick-up vehicle early Tuesday morning :shock: WOW this is some rough looking country 25-30kg pack and 14 kg yak and at least a 500 metre drop into the gorge ah well too late now we’ll just take it easy how bad could it be anyway. :++: :++:
4 ½ hours later after travelling through some of the roughest and unfriendliest country I’ve ever had the misfortune to walk through we are sitting on a ledge overlooking the river 20 metres below with a sense of so close yet so far.
The decision is made to throw the yaks onto a sand spit then my paddle so we can scramble down through a crevice in the rocks (sleeping bag soon followed the yaks) unbelievable we’ve made it and my legs are shaking (more so from fatigue than excitement). :lol:
Speedily pumped up the yaks organised our packs in drybags, set up rods and we’re off didn’t take too long to find our little friends.
Setting up camp the 1st night, our bottles of rum copped a flogging that night but we reckoned we deserved it.
YAK's :- Australis Bass , Adventure Fish , "09" Outback
YAK PB's:- Murray Cod 730mm, Trout Cod 690mm, Yella 570mm, Bass 410mm
jonesy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere theres water !!!!!!

Re: My latest Bass adventure

Postby jonesy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Water level was a fair bit lower than we thought it would be so most of the rapids we had to rope through or manhandle the yaks.
Some we could play on.
We managed to catch quite a few Bass each ranging from 100mm through to the biggest being around the 420mm mark but not wanting to muck around too much with cameras and hooked fish we didn’t get a hell of a lot of pics, most of my fish were caught on the one Mudguts scatter brain with a few falling to surface poppers and small Oargies and 1 to a small spinnerbait which was an absolute horse but he managed to rub my leader across something sharp and disappear with some new jewellery. :grr:
We ended up arriving at our destination 1:30 pm Thursday so we dried and rolled up our yaks had some lunch repacked our packs and made the decision to get to the top of the gorge before nightfall with half of the hike out of the way tomorrow would be easy. As luck would have just as we were preparing to tackle the walk out we heard a chopper heading in our direction our jubilation at not having to carry our gear out soon disappeared as we watched the chopper fly overhead and continue on its merry way (was so cruel).
The walk out was supposed to be easier but our legs were still sore from the walk in and had some much steeper short climbs but we made it to the top with no water left we pushed on and made the car just on dark with my legs refusing to go any further 4 hours of torture the pics dont do it any justice :roll: .
Neither of us could walk properly for a couple of days and to be honest my legs are still a bit sore but you know what? it was all worth it some of the most breath taking scenery I’ve ever seen certainly special.
YAK's :- Australis Bass , Adventure Fish , "09" Outback
YAK PB's:- Murray Cod 730mm, Trout Cod 690mm, Yella 570mm, Bass 410mm
jonesy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere theres water !!!!!!

Return to The 'Lock Box'