Scotty rod holder install

This section contains an archive of KFDU's best topics/posts submitted by it's members.

Scotty rod holder install

Postby WayneD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 pm

[Mod Edit Original Post found here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3057]

Here is how I installed my Scotty rod holders with extensions and flush mount base.

I took Steve’s idea and decided to use some cutting board as backing to give it extra strength. So to start with I marked out the size I would need on the board.

DIY 002 (Medium).jpg

I then used a holesaw to drill out the the middle for the base to fit through. After drilling out the middle hole I could then fit the flush mount over the top of it to mark out my four bolt holes.
DIY 003 (Medium).jpg

After drilling out the four bolt holes I then placed them where I wanted to on the yak and marked the centre of the big hole, then out came the holesaw again.
DIY 004 (Medium).jpg

DIY 005 (Medium).jpg

After drilling the main hole I then placed the flushmount on the deck and once again marked the four bolt holes that I had to drill.
DIY 006 (Medium).jpg

Next I placed some Selleys All Clear around the bolt holes and around the base of the flush mount.
DIY 007 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Re: Scotty rod holder install

Postby WayneD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Fit the base to the yak and place the cutting board backing on the inside and tighten all the nuts and bolts. I used nylon lock nuts to secure it so there is no chance of them vibrating loose while towing it on the trailer. Vice grips were an invaluable tool when tightening them due to space constraints and reach limitations.
DIY 008 (Medium).jpg

And here is the final result. Very happy with them and they handled a couple of mega bass at Wivenhoe the other day.
DIY 009 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10
WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Return to The 'Lock Box'