Non Permanent 'Wet mount' Sounder Install'

This section contains an archive of KFDU's best topics/posts submitted by it's members.

Non Permanent 'Wet mount' Sounder Install'

Postby Bart70 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,

In response to a request in another thread I have put together some instructions on fitting a sounder using a 'wet mount' and also in another part, how I got the cables out through the hull and mounted the sounder itself.

This mount is particularly useful for anybody who wants to share a transducer between yaks or other craft so does not want to permanently 'glue' their transducer to the hull of their yak.

I have put this together previously in other areas around the net....figured after an earlier enquiry that it could be of use here.

Usual disclaimers apply - whilst I have used this method several times each individual must decide if it is for them and suits their needs.

In this post I am going to cover off making and fitting off a 'wet mount' transducer to the internal floor of the yak. Please ensure that before embarking your have also read the accompanying threads to ensure that you can fit the 'bung hole' fitting for the transducer cable to pass through the hull (and that you brand of transducer cable will fit thru the bung hole). This install is for an Eagle Cuda 168 or 242 model sounder. I also understand that many other Eagle and Lowrance sounders use the same transducer and will certainly fit through the bung hole used for the cable exit point.

First things first - the transducer mount needs to be installed inside the hull. This mount is made from a piece of latex/foam that comes as part of a kiddies flotation vest that can be purchased for around $20 (similar material to roll up camp mattresses). The vest contains 4 layers or pieces of this foam - enough to make 8 transducer mounts for an Eagle/Lowrance sounder. Place the transducer on the foam, trace around it and cut the shape out with a sharp knife or whatever works for you (I used a steak knife). Cut the outside of the foam piece to size to suit where in the hull you intend to mount it.

Transducer1.jpg

Childs foam flotation vest (with completed mount alongside)

Transducer2.jpg

Mark out transducer....

Transducer3.jpg

Hole cut out - nice snug fit!

Next step - find a suitable mounting location. As this holder will require a small amount of water to be poured into it (to make the transducer work) I mounted mine directly below the centre hatch in all my Hobies - easy to access on the water should you need to adjust or put more water in. Hold the mount on the floor of your yak and push the transducer in - it should be firm enough that the transducer does not move around. The latex foam does a great job at gripping the transducer!! If you find it is still a bit tight, take it out and trim back a little further.

Once you find the locations, Put a thin but solid bead of Selleys All Clear on the underside of the latex piece - completely circling the transducer hole you cut in it. This will ensure that once mounted the ''cuttout'' will hold water. The latex is non absorbent and the Selleys All Clear will prevent water running out underneath.

Firmly place the foam mount into position on the inside of the hull and let the All Clear go off. You may need to apply a little pressure or put something on top to hold it but in most cases it will hold itself in place. Is usually usable within 12 - 15hrs.

Transducer5.jpg

Foam sounder mount glued into hull.......

Once gone off, you should find that the transducer will push into the firmly and be held in place by the pressure of the surrounding foam cut out.

A quick couple of scoops of water with your hand into the mount when launching, then push in the transducer and you will find that the water displaces all air between the transducer and hull and the sounder works beautifully.

Transducer6.jpg

Transducer sits snugly - pour water into mount before fitting transducer

Stay tuned for Part 2 that will outline how to install a bung hole for the cable to exit the hull so that the head unit can be mounted. Will hopefully get this done in the next day or 2.

Cheers,

Bart70
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yaks: 2010 Hobie Pro Angler, 2009 Hobie Outback, 2007 Hobie Sport.

Yak PB's: Flathead 55cm, Salmon 62cm, Tailor 55cm, Bream 35cm, Blackfish 39cm, Snapper 36cm, Trevally 35cm, Sole 30cm, Whiting 38cm
Bart70
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast

Non Permanent 'Wet mount' Sounder Install - Part 2

Postby Bart70 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 pm

Ok....back again.

Providing the first half has gone ok your are now ready for the head unit/cable install.

Now for the cable exit - you will need to have an exit point for the transducer cable from inside the hull to outside where the sounder head unit will be. This exit point needs to be watertight when a sounder is not installed, and as good as watertight when the cable is installed. To achieve this I bought a standard Ronstan screw in bung (drain) fitting. Most K-marts or marine stockists have these. This is mounted adjacent to where you will be mounting the sounder. I also purchased a rubber 'stopper' bung that also fits into the bung hole fitting.

Cable4.JPG

Pic showing standard drain bung fitting installed (RAM mount is for sounder head is also installed)

In the additional purchased rubber bung I drilled hole/s (depending on sounder make) for the cables to pass through. I then 'slotted' the bung so that the cable can be pushed through the bung into the hole drilled through it. This will allow you to mount the rubber bung 'over' the cable. You can then press the rubber bung into the drain fitting on the hull for a 99.9% watertight fitting. When not using the sounder, the rubber bung is removed from the cable, the cable passed back through the bung hole and the screw in bung fitted for a 100% watertight fitting.

Cable2.JPG

Rubber bung with holes and slot for cable to pass thru

Cable5.JPG

Cable/Bung tightly pushed into bung fitting.

As for fitting the sounder head - I use RAM mounts as shown in the photo (upper bracket looks a bit ordinary - is from a different brand mount...please ignore!!).

Cable6.JPG

Sounder mounted, cable installed - ready to fish!

I have a 7ah SLA battery (4ah would also suffice) in a zip up lunch bag in the front hatch - 2 spade lugs fitted to the sounder power cable (fuse incl) with a shot of lanox on the terminals for protection.

Battery.jpg

I have a 7ah SLA battery (4ah would also suffice) in a zip up lunch bag in the front hatch - 2 spade lugs fitted to the sounder power cable (fuse incl) with a shot of lanox for protection.

So in short, to fit up once the install is completed - half cup of water in the transducer mount, firmly and snugly push the transducer into the mount. Remove the screw in bung and feed the transducer lead through the hole - fit the rubber bung around the cable in the appropriate location - screw the rubber bung into the bung hole fitting. Fit sounder head unit to RAM ball and plug cable in - connect spade lugs to battery terminals. All set to go in about 90 seconds if your quick!

Whilst this setup allows you to move the transducer in and out of the hull so it van be used on other craft, I tend to find that if I am not needing the move the transducer I leave it all in place between outings. Just give the sounder plug a quick shot of Lanox every now and then.

I have fitted this now to several Hobies.......Sounder signal, IMO, is better than with the permanent ''All Clear'' transducer hull fixings I have done.

Hope this is of assistance to anybody who wants to mount a sounder on their yak but also want to share transducers between yaks or other craft.

Cheers,

Bart70
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yaks: 2010 Hobie Pro Angler, 2009 Hobie Outback, 2007 Hobie Sport.

Yak PB's: Flathead 55cm, Salmon 62cm, Tailor 55cm, Bream 35cm, Blackfish 39cm, Snapper 36cm, Trevally 35cm, Sole 30cm, Whiting 38cm
Bart70
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast

Return to The 'Lock Box'