Midcoast Outing - Lake St Clair 13-15 OCT 17 - All Welcome!

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.

Re: Midcoast Outing - Lake St Clair 13-15 OCT 17 - All Welco

Postby arpie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 pm

....I forgot to bring a fork last month. Had to eat tin food out of the tin with a bait knife, ended up cutting my lip pretty bad....

:lol: :lol: I have heaps in my camper in case you forget again! Just as well you remembered the tin opener! Mind you - those fishing knives would probably open a tin as well!! :wink:

....Maybe you need a fish finder finder.......

:lol: :lol: Shame I just can't 'whistle it up' like some 'key finders'! :beye: It's a Garmin 300C

I've found a way bigger one (lowrance - used for offshore) but don't have a battery strong enough to run it! :lol: :roll:

cheers

RP

Oh dear - I've opened a can of worms in the garage ..... I am digging thru boxes from my Wilderness Island trip, a barra trip, my bass trip up north a few years back & just general 'fishing stuff' and found about $500+ worth of new, unused lures!! It's a bit like Xmas, really! :lek:
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby newknees2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 am

Hello everyone,
What a great weekend @ Lake St Clair. A few of us arrived on Thursday to be greeted with gusty westerly winds & cloud so the afternoon was spent settling in. :glad:
Friday dawned with clear skies & a nice light breeze. Others started to arrive & hit the water.
The fish certainly liked the conditions & everyone was soon onto some nice Bass, me included. :grin:
After a nice leisurely morning session lunch was enjoyed as a few others turned up.
Friday afternoon was similar to the morning with some nice fish landed including a few Yella's. The majority of the Bass were in the range of 30cm to 38cm with a couple of 40>42cm thrown in.
A very enjoyable evening was spent with everyone in good humor [some more humorous than others] around Blackant's camp.
Saturday morning saw storm clouds rolling in & annoying rain squalls passing over at regular intervals. The smarter [or should I say the older] members, including yours truly, decided to sped quality time together sitting under canvas while the, lets say, younger members braved the conditions an ventured out. the weather did not worry the fish as good catches were reported from all who ventured out. :glad:
A quieter night was spent, again @ Blackant's camp.
Sunday dawned with a little cloud & fog which quickly cleared & everyone was on the water. Again the fish were co-operating & some great fisf were landed. I managed to land my PB Yella @ 49cm, I was a happy chappy. All tolled I landed a total of 17 Bass & 5 Yellowbelly. :grin:
After all had returned to shore & had some breakfast it was time for presentations, which I will let PF elaborate on, then pack up & say goodbye to everyone.
I am sure everyone who attended had a great weekend, some having achieved some 1st's which I am sure they will be posting to tell you about. :gu:
We are now looking forward to our next major outing which will be @ Forster/Tuncurry next Feb/March. We will advise in the near future so don't miss out on this one. :glad: :glad: :glad:
I would like to thank everyone who attended for their great company & good humor over the weekend & look forward to meeting up again @ Forster. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards,
Knees.
P.S.
Added a couple of photo's to encourage a few more to attend next year :wink: :wink: :wink: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of
"A BAD DAY FISHING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK"
newknees2
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

Postby johno » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

Yes , it was agreat weekend at lake St Clare ,landed my first 2 yellow bellies and a few bass too. See you at Belmont for the Xmas outing then tuncurry next year, thanks again to the organisers for a bueat weekend. Beast wish John.
johno
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle LakeMacquarie

Postby katostrom » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Knees
Here's the photo's of that PB Yellowbelly of yours.
Three Yellowbellys for me, first time ever for me so mighty impressed, great weekend, will sort photos and post something soon.
Regards
Terry
Edit; fixed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
katostrom
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Hunter Valley
Kayaks: Mirage 530, 14' glass canadian, ebay 2.8m SOT

Postby Blackant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm

G'Day everyone,
Yes it was a great weekend. Arrived Thur arvo and after setting up and meeting some people I haven't met it was time to sit back with a coldie and prepare to hit the dam next morning. Well I haven't seen the bass so hungry. I caught 8 the biggest 35cm. The fish were certainly on the chew and I think it was because of the pending drop of barometer pressure. Happy with that. Didn't fish Fri arvo. Sat dawned with rain rain did I say rain so as Peter said the more senior ones :grin: stayed in camp. :lek: It was a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit cold so Johno and Bob fired up their fires. No pics everyone has seen a bass or yellow. If you haven't come along to the next one. Hope to catch up with everyone at Tuncurry.
Cheers everyone
Blackant :devil:
Greg
07 Hobie Outback
PB from yak - 33cm Whiting - 70cm Flathead - 51cm Bass - 52cm Yellow Belly

Member of
TEAM GREEN GINGER
TEAM OLD FARTS

Those things that are precious are only saved by sacrifice - Private David Webster
Blackant
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: All over Australia

Postby rocky » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Nice fish Pete, looks like you all had a top weekend. You have one up on my trips I there as I have not caught a yellowbelly in there. Will catch up in December if you are around.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback & Yellow Pacer
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Area, Anywhere.
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's Pacer

Postby justforfun » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi everyone its been awhile since I did a report due to a couple of virus and injuries but all good now .
I arrived at St Clair late Friday evening and By the time I got sorted out everyone was coming back in as I was super keen not having been on the yak for 5 months out I ventured picking up fish on the sounder but couldn't entice a strike out of any of them so after two and a half hours headed back in to talk to everyone only to hear everyone had landed fish so off to bed for an early start in the morning.
Waking in the early hours to a light drizzle that got steadily worse I got dressed in the appropriate attire {wet weather gear} . I headed out and hooked up almost immediately to a bass and heading in a different direction to everyone else ended up catching 10 bass and 2 silver perch which was a first for me .
P1010164(1).JPG

P1010176(1).JPG

After having a snooze and an early tea I once again headed out in the wet and the wind heading for an area I knew would be protected from the wind as I was keen to try the fly rod out as it has been awhile since it was used. Arriving at my chosen spot I soon had a couple of fish landed then I tried the fly rod while leaving a lure out behind me hooking a nice bass fairly quickly on the fly I was soon in a bit of bother as I had only bought my small short handled landing net and had allsorts of trouble landing the fish but eventually managed to and as I was photographing the fish the other rod started singing as a fish took line it was my biggest fish for the trip,while taking a photo of the fish there was a big splash where the fly had been laying on the surface of the water and hence the incomplete photo of my biggest fish for the trip as I moved to grab my fly rod before it disappeared over the side releasing the fish and then landing the next one on fly again with some difficulty I put the fly rod away without realising I had cut the tail out of the photo the next 45 minutes was just about a fish a cast landing about 25 fish for the night
P1010162(1).JPG

P1010163(1).JPG

The next morning I was out early and landed another 6 before calling it quits head in and pack up .
I would like to thank B.C.F FOR DONATING A ROD AND REEL PACKAGE for the biggest fish and the Mid coast organisers for organising that and the other gift vouchers .Cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Great weekend with great company!
Will put up a full report and more pics when I get back from the South Coast...

IMG_17102017_125704.jpg

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby Crok » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi All
As everone has already said what a great weekend, lots of fish caught by all :grin: :grin: lots of stories :?: :?: and joking around the fire :lol: :lol: sun, rain and wind :roll: :roll:.
I arrived after lunch on Friday in enough time to set up camp, have a chat with everyone and get ready for the afternoon session. :blah: :blah:

Fishing Friday arvo, Saturday morning and arvo then Sunday morning averaging about 10 fish per session, consisting mostly Bass and about 6 or 7 Yellas. I used Deep divers, chatterbaits and surface lures it was great fun.

It was also good to see / hear of others catching their first bass or yellas and then PBs as well.

Anyway here are some pics.

20171013_181604s.jpg

20171013_183729s.jpg

20171013_185131s.jpg

20171013_192002s.jpg

20171013_192501s.jpg

20171014_055145s.jpg

20171014_055645s.jpg

20171014_075530s.jpg

20171014_080920s.jpg

20171014_142836s.jpg

20171015_061156s.jpg

20171015_061208s.jpg

It was great to catch up with everyone and look forward to the next one.

cheers
Crok
Yak PB: Whiting 40cm, Bream 39cm, Flathead 75cm, Salmon 49cm,Gold Spot Cod 38cm, Bass 54cm :-), Snapper 35cm, Tailor 47cm, Yellow Belly 53cm, Murray Cod 53cm.
Member of
Crok
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Hunter River.
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

Postby arpie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Guys

It was Lots of fun attending this year's annual Lake St Clair Bass Bash .... I missed out on last year's event ..... so was keen to finally get there again as it was a while ago since my last trip!! Many thanks to NewKnees for organising the Bass Bash - and all the guys for helping me out, both on the water and off ..... the sharing of knowledge was just awesome - everyone helping everyone get onto fish - it was just terrific! Well done, guys!

And a HUGE congrats to NewKnees for his PB Yella at the dam - coming in at 49cm!! That was HUGE!!

I've been to LSC once or twice before - but had never landed a bass - only a yella .... so I was keen to break the Donut & find some bass!! I'd packed a heap of blades, SPs, Topwater, Divers, 'jigs' ..... you name it, I had it!! Eventually, it was 3 or 4 lures that landed me the fish!! :wink:

I arrived on the Fri afternoon & was keen to hit the water, but it was stinking hot & everyone said to wait til it was a bit cooler & later in the afternoon ....... which was hard to do!! :lol: Then, of course, the wind blew up BIGTIME, which was a bit annoying! :beye:

Pdf & Newknees had had some success with diving lures on the opposite bank, so when I finally hit the water - that was where I headed & shortly after, I'd hooked my first bass! As it turned out - the first of MANY! :gu:

Initially, heading out after 4.30pm, I started casting at the shoreline near camp, trying to get a fish ... but it was hard work! Pdf/Paul was getting hookups on his paddle tail so I tried SPs - for ZIPPO! I changed to a bade - and finally got a hit (but no hookup!!) Finally I realised (and accepted) that if I wanted to get into fish - that I would have to troll deeper diving lures parallel to the bank/gutters to get the hits! Almost immediately, I started getting fish! :grin:
PA130009.jpg

PA130014.jpg

I think I landed about 3 fish on the first outing, including a 'mystery' fish - it ended up being a Silver Perch (very small!) - so happy to have busted my donut!! Heading back, we gathered around Blackant's tent & cooked a late dinner (Bacon & Egg Wrap - the story of my weekend food!)

It is AMAZING just how hard these natives HIT the lure!! I could have sworn it would be a 40cm+ fish - but often it was way below 35cm or even less!! Tho I found that, in general, the Yellas put up more of a fight than the bass!

Next morning, it was raining - pouring, actually ..... I pondered about not going out - but was there to fish!! So I pulled on my (what I thought was) my wet weather jacket but didn't bother about putting not the WP trousers. BIG MISTAKE! The temp had halved, the wind had increased & the windchill factor was quite high! I ended up being totally saturated, even under the jacket! :roll: Crok had fished topwater nearby & landed 3 fish to 35cm! He also said that he had seen a bigger fish 'bloop' ..... so after he left the area, I headed in & shortly after, I I cast a deep diving Greedy Guts towards the shore for an instant hookup - I reckon I'd found 'his fish'!! Yeehaw - good fish!! :grin: It went 40.5cm & my biggest of the weekend! I was happy to have a decent fish as my 2nd 'bass' for the fishing comp! :gu:
PA140025.jpg

PA140030.jpg

Shortly after, another 'cast to' fish was landed on the GG!
PA140033.jpg

I had stuck it out for about 3hrs before finally heading back to shore, absolutely frozen! I had another 5-6 fish to add to my tally, including my biggest of the day & the most 'weird' shaped one!! It was quite stunted! Also taken on the GG. It's belly was SO FAT!! A 'real' Greedyguts! :lol: I had a late breakfast & then put my feet up for some kip, as I hadn't really slept very well the night before! :beye:
PA140040.jpg

Later that afternoon, even tho it was still raining a bit - I headed out again in the hope of some more fish - this time with some better gear on ... and I wasn't to be disappointed!! The fish were REALLY on the chew!! It was almost a fish a cast at one stage, including 2 yellas that went 35cm & 36cm & a couple of double hookups of smaller fish - as I was trolling 2 lures at once!
PA140043.jpg

And another one!
PA140051.jpg

As I wasn't getting any hits on cast & retrieve - I joined the rat pack & started trolling the bigger deeper diving lures ..... and put on the old 'Sydney Blue' ..... with almost instant success - with fish from 35cm & smaller jumping on board!
PA140055.jpg

In good condition!
PA140059.jpg

Then a baby! :lol:
PA140061.jpg

Double Hook up
double hookup.jpg

I hooked a couple with 'facial disfigurement' .... not sure if they were birth defects or injuries sustained as they were hooked & released ..... looks like their upper lip had disappeared!!
PA140080.jpg

Another one with a cleft palate!
PA140022.jpg

Sat night & a couple of SERIOUS Camp Fires ....... very nice builds by Jono & Bob!!
PA140082.jpg

Pete/Newknees
PA140086.jpg

Blackant/Greg after some Green Ginger! :wink:
PA140085.jpg

Pdf/Paul
PA140087.jpg

Bob & Jonno
PA140088.jpg

Kev/Crok with Bob & Jonno
PA140092.jpg

Part 2 coming up shortly!!
Last edited by arpie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arpie

Postby arpie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Part 2

So, on Sat night, the fish were on the chew & I reckon I landed at least 20+ bass, yellas & Silver Perch ..... definitely a record for me! :gu:

Next morning (after ANOTHER sleepless night! :( Mainly cos I was still very cold & the doona I had on my bed the night before just wasn't warm enough for the drop in temperature! :bye:

Heading out on Sunday morning ...... I was trying VERY hard not to get a 'stuff up' like occurred the night before (ion the dark .....) you really do need to learn how to 'turn corners' when you are trolling more than 1 lure!! :roll: The safest thing is to wind one IN before turning the corner - cos one of them will surely hook up the other!! And you'll end up with this:
PA140094.jpg

Whilst the fish weren't as plentiful as the night before ...... I still managed to get a few ...... I was trolling a 'Sydney Blue' & a 'Sydney Black' ...... to see which one was the more popular - because the evening before, the Sydney Blue won hands down, whilst on Sun morning, it was the Sydney Black that won hands down! Weird!
PA150096.jpg

This one REALLY wanted it!!
PA150097.jpg

PA150099.jpg

I hooked a couple around this size ...
PA150103.jpg

I caught up with Noel/JFF after I hooked this one .... A nice bass in the mid to high 30s
PA150105.jpg

On the way back to camp - I hooked up to 2 nice fish!!
PA150111.jpg

The other one ...
PA150114.jpg

Well done to Noel/JFF - for winning the 'Biggest Bass' comp - and taking the lovely Rod & reel Home ...... tho I seriously reckon Crok should have put his hand up re his very nice 43.5cm bass as well! :wink:

We have a new 'perpetual trophy' for our St Clair Bass Bash ..... I've donated a "Billy Big Bass'' - as the donor - I was able to chose the recipient for this Bass Bash ....... and because Crok shared so much knowledge (particularly putting me onto my 'PB Lake St Clair'' bass!!) I decided that Crok should be the inaugural winner this year!! He will be the 'chooser' of NEXT year's recipient! :lek: hehe - it is quite a funny trophy - with 2 songs available to play ...... I hope Crok doesn't get too sick of everyone pushing the button when they go past it! :lol:
PA150128.jpg

'The Gang'!! A great bunch of fishos!
PA150127.jpg

Well done, guys on another Mid Coast gathering ..... looking forward to the next Forster one, in March next year!!! Keep an eye open for the dates - ANYONE can attend ...... when the date goes up - make sure you put THAT one on your calendar! It'll be the Big 4 over at Tuncurry, which gives access to some brilliant fishing water!! :wink:

cheerio for now - and thanks for a great weekend, boys - all up, I reckon I landed more than 40 fish ..... including 3-4 Yellas, 2 Silver Perch & a HEAP of bass!! I well & truly put my LSC Donut to bed!!

Roberta

arpie

Previous

Return to Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club