Midcoast Social Outing - Feb 17 - Valentine - Reports

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Midcoast Social Outing - Feb 17 - Valentine - Reports

#1 Post by pdfarrell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi Midcoasters,

Our February Social Outing for 2019 will see us heading to Valentine on Sunday 17th February.
We will be launching at the Bennett Park Boat Ramp on Dilkera Avenue.
Amenities are available.

The target species for the Social Angler of the Year will be Whiting.

As always, all welcome to join us, and if you want to join the Midcoast Club, just ask and consider it done!

I will be launching at first light, and fishing south down toward Green Point...

Please indicate below if you plan to attend.

ValentineMap.jpg

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Re: Midcoast Social Outing - Feb 17 - Valentine

#2 Post by rocky » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 pm

I will try to get to this one as I get back from NZ on the 14th and no one has told me of other plans for the 17th but subject to change.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

Reg
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook, hunter, manning rivers
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13

#3 Post by Reg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 pm

I'll be there.. never fished whiting, so will be a learning experience
Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

#4 Post by newknees2 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 am

Will be there, will be away up the coast from this Sunday but will be back in time for this one. :grin:
Regards,
Knees.
Member of

Crok
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Hunter River.
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

#5 Post by Crok » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Sorry guys I am out for this one, have a good day.
Cheers
Crok
Yak PB: Whiting 40cm, Bream 39cm, Flathead 75cm, Salmon 49cm,Gold Spot Cod 38cm, Bass 54cm :-), Snapper 35cm, Tailor 47cm, Yellow Belly 53cm, Murray Cod 53cm.

Member of

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#6 Post by pdfarrell » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am

Remember to keep an eye out on the forum or Facebook on Saturday night for the Unique Fishing number.
Again, the Social Angler of the Year Target will be Whiting, and you'll need the number included in your pics to score points.
If the Whiting aren't on the chew, Valentine at this time of year is good for a few squid... :wink:

Will update the Social Angler of the Year leaderboard tomorrow afternoon and post it up.

See you all Sunday morning. Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
PF

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#7 Post by pdfarrell » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

The UFN for tomorrow is 489.

Cheers,
PF

Reg
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by Reg » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Another awesome morning for a fish, arrived a bit earlier than planned but caught with Paul who also made an early start.
Both headed out just on first light, headed south. I've never fished any of Lake Macquarie so these social trips are a great opportunity to step out of the comfort zone.
When setting up for this trip I noticed I dont have a lot of whiting lures but hedged my bets and used what I had to hand... I started off fishing the surface using an old school popper and a kokoda cicada swapping between the two for a while had a couple of misfits casting away from shore but no hook up.
As the sun broke I switched to a rough old squidgy from the "ol faithful" end of the tackle box and a Zerek Fish trap, again switching between the two.
I caught two very small flatties fishing what seemed to be a popular sandy patch. A couple of young fellas pulled up and one of them dragged in a nice flathead on his first cast (envy set in) :devil: ...
Didn't have any real success after that, hooked more oyster/clam clumps than anything else, but as always getting out and having a crack is what I enjoy... good size fish is tasty bonus.

Shame about the jet skiers, would like to see some water police around as some of the proximity and speed rules were definitely being pushed..

Anyway really looking forward to our March trip.. cheers Reg.
Member of

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Re: Midcoast Social Outing - Feb 17 - Valentine - Reports

#9 Post by pdfarrell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Just marking this space... report to go up as soon as my video is edited and uploaded.
2 whiting, 1 @ 24cm and 1 @ 34cm....
Ting34.jpg
Full report and video to come. Thank for coming guys!

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#10 Post by rocky » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Turned up just before 6 to see Paul heading out in the half light, got my yak unloaded and set off around the boats hoping to pick up a whiting or two on vibes or blades as I have done in the past but not even a touch so headed off in the same direction as Paul mixing surface and blades in the deeper water still no Whiting but did manage 3 good flattys 2 in low 40cm’s and a 60cm fish plus a couple of Bream around 30cm a squid on a blade so set out a squid jig but only caught a small detimined squid that kept coming back until it was pinned. Reg was that you in the slayer?? Paul Hope to catch up before I head off again.
76A7D29C-067E-4C39-BD52-C7B7FFB40C56.jpeg
Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

#11 Post by newknees2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 am

Sorry fella's for not getting on the water yesterday, picked up some sort of stomach bug. :grr:
I was all packed & ready but was feeling very ordinary when I got up @ 5 A.M. After trying a remedy to settle my stomach I managed to at least drive down to the launch spot & catch up with Rocky. Unfortunately even though the spirit was willing, the body was not, returned home & spent the best part of Sunday in bed. :cry:
Glad to see at least a couple of the target species were landed, well done Paul. :grin:
Regards,
Knees.
Member of

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#12 Post by pdfarrell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Got to Valentine nice and early, as I had been looking forward to it for a while.
Wasn't long before Reg arrived, and after a chat while waiting for a bit of colour to appear in the sky we headed out.

I basically made a b-line around the corner toward Green Point.
Was throwing a darkish sugapen around in the low light for a while, and had a great aerial hit from a Pike, which was landed and sworn at.
I was hoping that this was not going to be the theme for the morning...

A westerly wind picked up a bit out of no where and the lake started to chop up a little, so decided to put the sugapen away and started throwing a Skinny Pop Jr.
My theory was that the extra water displacement and rattle would make it easier to find.. and soon caught a 24cm Whiting. I was on the board with the target species.

The Skinny Pop got several more hits, but the fish weren't finding the hooks. I took a few minutes out to remove the rear treble and replace it with a set of assists.
When I looked up, the wind had calmed down again, but I continued with the popper but couldn't drum up any more interest.

I headed off down to the second bay, pinning myself with my power pole and casting round the clock with a sugapen, I was throwing a more translucent colour than I was throwing earlier in the morning.

Upgraded my first whiting with a 34cm model and picked up three bream as well.

At one stage I heard (what I thought at the time) "bream kisses" between me and the bank, and saw a bit of bait fleeing. I promptly threw the sugapen past the commotion and started walking it back, stopping and pausing in the area.. I got hit and the drag started screaming. I was thinking PB Bream! After getting it a little closer I falsely called it for a whiting.
Anyhow, ended up being a 40cm Tailor, which was great fun on my little 1-3kg rod.

With the surface bite abating, I turned around and started heading back.

Ran into Rocky, and while chatting I started throwing a Slim Swim into the rapidly receding shady areas along the bank.
I unexpectedly picked up another bream, the best of my four for the morning.
After releasing, I threw the plastic out again, to have it smashed by a squire, that was almost dwarfed by the plastic.

Little video of my morning here: -> https://youtu.be/MW4-_lnLLpg

Was a good morning, and was great to welcome another new member, Dennis.
Dennis, I will try and get admin to activate your account asap mate, but as I said, you can get hold of us through FB as well.

Good to see Reg again, and to finally catch up with Rocky again, if only briefly.

Hope your feeling better Knees! Look after yourself mate.

Cheers,
PF

Reg
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by Reg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Hey Rocky.. yep that was the socially awkward me in the Slayer..
Cheers
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#14 Post by rocky » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Reg wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm
Hey Rocky.. yep that was the socially awkward me in the Slayer..
Cheers
Maybe I should of stopped for a chat, not sure when I will have another fish with Midcoast as I will be heading north soon but I am sure you won’t go wrong with dedicated yakkers in Paul and knees (Pete), tight lines and safe yakking.

Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of. Member of

Return to “Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club”