Rocky & Kathys big trip

A social kayak fishing group for the Hunter/Central Coast/Port Stephens/Lake Macquarie regions.
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Re: Rocky & Kathys big trip

#31 Post by justforfun » Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Nice Rocky did you find any dinosaurs ? :lol: .cheers Justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club

Crok
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Hunter River.
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 13

#32 Post by Crok » Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Well done with the red claw, looks like you found the right bait :wink: :wink:
Cheers
Crok
Yak PB: Whiting 40cm, Bream 39cm, Flathead 75cm, Salmon 49cm,Gold Spot Cod 38cm, Bass 54cm :-), Snapper 35cm, Tailor 47cm, Yellow Belly 53cm, Murray Cod 53cm.
Member of

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#33 Post by arpie » Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Nice feed of redclaw there! Well done! You are sure covering some miles!!

Safe travels

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#34 Post by rocky » Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Crok wrote:Well done with the red claw, looks like you found the right bait :wink: :wink:
Cheers
Yep dry dog food :)

Roberta we behave done about 11000km with all the side trips, now at Winton on the dinosaur trail.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#35 Post by rocky » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 pm

We are still alive just been out of the loop for a while. Spent a month in Mount Isa waiting for a canopy and roof rails for a new vehicle we bought there, yep bought a Ranger dual cab, would of liked another Isuzu but they were to low on trade in.
Didn't get any fishing done after Corella dam as had no roof bars.
Finally left there on the 13th and headed to Normanton then up to Karumba where I went on a charter as the crocs are to big for the yak. We caught a good bag of macs between 4 of us and one chap lost a Cobia around 20kg, he got it boat side and the skipper gaffes it but it rolled off the gaff and took off never to be seen again, I don't think it liked the gaff.
We are now at Lake Tinaroo near Atherton just relaxing and wondering what is the wet stuff coming out of the sky haven't seen any since Febuary. Put the traps out last night for Red claw but none maybe tonight. Haven't had a fish yet as the locals say the Barra are off the bite due to the water being cold 18.8'c maybe today.
Off to Cairns tomorrow to visit my brother.

Cheers and Beers
Rocky
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of

arpie

#36 Post by arpie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:17 pm

AWESOME!! I hope you get a Barra at Tinaroo!! When we were there in 2000, we saw a dead barra that was easily 1m+ long! :cry:

There are platypus in some of the rivers/creeks around there, too! Good to go spotting around dusk ......

New Wheels look good, too! Well done on the macs

Cheers

Roberta

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#37 Post by Mackayak » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Great spot been following your post with envy. Hoping to do something like your trip once farm sold. Question what size van did you end up with and if you did it again would you get a bigger van. Like the Isuzu to. Make the best of your trip :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#38 Post by rocky » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Mackayak wrote:Great spot been following your post with envy. Hoping to do something like your trip once farm sold. Question what size van did you end up with and if you did it again would you get a bigger van. Like the Isuzu to. Make the best of your trip :wink:
Our van is 20' with a ensuite it is plenty big enough. Have seen some monster vans on the road but bigger the van the bigger the tug. We ended up with a Ford Ranger and traded our Isuzu mux, would of liked a dmax but the dealer wouldn't give a good trade, we needed ute space so the wagon had to go.

Roberta just got back from a fish with a donut I think it is to cold as the locals reckon it is 17'c and water is 18.8'c.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky

Go the Blues
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of

newknees2
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie N.S.W.
Kayaks: Perception Minnow, Yellow Hobie Outback

#39 Post by newknees2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello Rocky & Kath,
Good to see you have joined the dual cab brigade, great looking rig. Glad to see you are still enjoying yourselves. :glad:
Am leaving to head to Lightning Ridge on the 4th July for a week with the daughter & grandkids then off again on the 20th July to Collerenabri for 10 days with my brother & nephew. Will have a fish in the river up there but no kayak going, fish from the bank.
Have a great time & travel safely. :grin:
Regards,
Peter.
Member of
"A BAD DAY FISHING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK"

SirMoken
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle, Lake Maquarie and everywhere else
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#40 Post by SirMoken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Ranger danger keep up the hard work Rocky, enjoy look out for the justforfunasurus :lol: :lol:

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#41 Post by rocky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:04 am

Update,
Well been in Cairns for the past two weeks catching up with my brother, had a quick trip up to Cooktown via the Bloomfield track last week and got the new truck a bit muddy, if you are up this way and have not done it go and do it. There are some great views and some good driving very steep and winding in sections. The only problem we had is it was drizzling rain most of the time and my brother reckons we brought the rain as it has just stopped today after two weeks of itintermittently. Didn't get a fish in at Cooktown because it was blowing a gale in the morning we were there.
Have flicked a line in with my great nephew in the local river catching some small sooty grunter, with some having strange blubbery lips, fun to catch on light gear.
That's all for now and we are off to Townsville on Thursday where we will fly NSW flag next Wednesday.
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG
Till next time
Cheers & Beers
Rocky

P.S. Three days at Tinaroo and no Barra, no Red claw a big donut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of

arpie

#42 Post by arpie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am

....Flying the flag for NSW....

Methinks you may be outnumbered! :lol:

Shame the weather wasn't kind to you up in the far north .... hopefully it will be nicer in Townsville!!

If you want to have some fun with some 'land locked' barra - there is a Barramundi Farm not far from town & you can have a play there .... fishing for small AND big ones! I used my bream rod with regular 6lb braid but I upgraded the leader to 50lb from memory ..... and had a HEAP of fun!! They even picked me up & took me out there from the caravan park on the waterfront!

They fought really hard too - and almost straightened the hook on the squidgey slick rig!!! (You can read about my day there here (down near the bottom): http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6671
small barra.jpg
Nice Barra.jpg
Big barra.jpg
bent hook.jpg
I just googled the park to see if it was still 'going' & looks like it is now a massive 'barra fun park' & costs heaps now as they include all the other bits as well as the fishing! :cry: Still cheaper than going on a charter tho! :wink:
http://barrafunpark.com/park/park-prices/

cheers

Roberta

rocky
Club Co-ordinator

#43 Post by rocky » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Well finally caught some more fish so can do another update. Nice work on the Barra Roberta I was staying only five minutes from the Barra park but didn't part with any $'s.
We left My brothers place near Cairns and headed to Townsville and stayed with some friends. The mate Terry took me out for a fish on his cruiser chasing Spanish but no luck only managed a trevally about 5kg, no pic. as when we got back to the marina I thought it was a good idea to fall in when mooring the boat, I was out as quick as I went in because they reckon oversized lizards live there. Oh yeah swimming with mobile in pocket is not a good idea. We had a day at Balgal beach after that where I managed my first Grunter about 2kg, mmmm tasted great.
We are now in Yeppoon house sitting until mid October. Went out for a fish in the yak on Causeway lake this morning with a rising tide. Tried some big sp's for Barra, Flatty or Jack but no hits but noticed some holes and different coloured sand on the flats so out came the 1kg and small sp's and hb's Bream time or maybe a Whiting. First cast on the flats bang a good Bream but it only had hold of the tail, then a few more casts with same result before a hook up which was a 28cm fish then another bigger model at 31cm after a few more miss hits hooked up on a bigger fish 34cm, all fish were fiesty and solid. After the bigger fish they disappeared. Al in all a good relax on the water.
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
More later
Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Member of

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#44 Post by pdfarrell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Nice one Rocky.
You do realise you could've stayed at Lac Mac and caught Bream? :lol: :wink:

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

arpie

#45 Post by arpie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 pm

WOW! You'll enjoy Yepoon!! It's a lovely area - and so many different areas to fish (without the big lizards, I think??)

There is a fantastic Restaurant there that does an Argentinian Parilla/3 meat BBQ on a Sunday evening - you have to book ...... and it is well worth going! Make sure you take your appetite with you!
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUser ... ml#REVIEWS

I think Ads22 is from up that way & fishes around Yepoon now & then ...... shoot a PM to him - he is hoping to fish this weekend to catch some of those big bream for the KFDU bream comp! So far I am the 'leader' but the leader board won't be updated now til July 31st ..... the suspense will be killing me!! :idiot:

If you land any decent bream 35 & over - make sure you have 567 written on your measure board - to be in with a chance (it is called the MUFN - Monthly Unique Fishing Number) for July. We have a bream comp on in July for 'bragging rights' ..... All the info about it is here:
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50474

And the current leader board .....
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=50506

Hope to see you on the board soon!! This one ends on July 31st ...... with another starting in August (not sure what species tho!)

cheerio & safe travels

Roberta

Return to “Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club”