poor man's kayak build

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?

poor man's kayak build

Postby fc59 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 pm

g day shirts and skirts i am a bit of an infrequent user but a new kayak build is probably worth a build thread

a while ago i bought an elcheepo anaconda kayak sub $400 to replace my elcheepo oztrail kayak sub $300 that lasted 5-7 years

the plan is to rebuild my old kayak more or less probly more

first thing on the list is to make a motor mount so up on the stands remove the rear handel

then a bit of masking tape on the side

making some ruff marks going with the lines of the kayak

once i was happy i trimmed it to shape with a stanley knife

removed from the side of the yak and stuck to a backing cardboard along with the other parts the will need to be made from 2mm alloy

thats about it for today
fc59
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: west sydney

Re: poor man's kayak build

Postby Collie Yak » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 am

Watching :ll:
Collie Yak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SW WA

Postby fc59 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm

during the week i cut the alloy i used 3mm because i had some handy and put a roll in it to match the curve of the yak
after that i ruffed out some hole placement nothing to measured just what what ever looked good drilled some 3mm holes and screwed to to the yak using a few ss screws

next was the rear arms or whatever you want to call them i just eyeballed them then held them while i tacked them

i just gave them a bit of a tweek to straighten ill make the bit that the motor bolts to tack that on then ill weld it together

fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby ThomasMaloney » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm

I am excited to see how you're going to manage the build. I think some of the solutions that you've proposed here are quite exciting! I personally would like to find a way to make my yak a little bit more portable but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to balance the weight of additional fittings. I assume that this might be a bit of an issue with you putting a motor in as well? Anyway, looking forward to updates here! Cheers mate!
ThomasMaloney
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coomera River Gold Coast

Postby Funchy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:40 am

Nice EH :lek:
Funchy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 (yellow)

Postby fc59 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:54 am

ThomasMaloney wrote:I am excited to see how you're going to manage the build. I think some of the solutions that you've proposed here are quite exciting! I personally would like to find a way to make my yak a little bit more portable but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to balance the weight of additional fittings. I assume that this might be a bit of an issue with you putting a motor in as well? Anyway, looking forward to updates here! Cheers mate!

cheers i am a 95 % fresh water fisherman so thats the way the build is heading
the weight balance in my old yak was a slight issue with a small battery in the back with the motor and running flat out it would push the back of the yak under the water and would start taking water on
so i simply moved the battery to the nose of the yak problem solved this yak is a bit better designed with drainage holes in the back but i will make the motor removable so its easier to move around and i cut the head off the motor to reduce a bit of weight so carrying it is not as big a deal but a set of wheels are on the cards
fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby fc59 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 am

Funchy wrote:Nice EH :lek:

thank you should see my EJ :wink:
fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby fc59 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm

i know i skiped a few steps but here it is on the bench welded

fitted to the kayak

with the motor on just to check clearances

fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby Funchy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 pm

fc59 wrote:

Damnit!!!
Funchy
KFDU Angler

Postby fc59 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Funchy wrote:
fc59 wrote:

Damnit!!!

if you look hard enough you can see my ej panel van in the background of one of the above pictures
i take it you and early holden sufferer as well Funchy?
fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby jumaji » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Great work Mate, can hardly wait to see how you are going to steer, control speed and tilt it from the seat! Going by your current designs they will be something to behold. BTW, in my last lifetime I was an apprentice mechanic at a Holden sub agent on the Gold Coast. One of my frequent jobs was to fit radios,mud flaps,seat belts,tar babies,and those little guards under the door handles to EJ and EH Holdens as extras and can vividly remember the first time I ever drove a 179 MANUAL [which didn't come out for a while] thinking no other car on earth can accelerate and go like this! :lek:
Jim.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

jumaji
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Malibu Stealth 9

Postby fc59 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:39 am

jumaji wrote:Great work Mate, can hardly wait to see how you are going to steer, control speed and tilt it from the seat! Going by your current designs they will be something to behold. BTW, in my last lifetime I was an apprentice mechanic at a Holden sub agent on the Gold Coast. One of my frequent jobs was to fit radios,mud flaps,seat belts,tar babies,and those little guards under the door handles to EJ and EH Holdens as extras and can vividly remember the first time I ever drove a 179 MANUAL [which didn't come out for a while] thinking no other car on earth can accelerate and go like this! :lek:
Jim.

thats cool i love nasco stuff i have a dealier fitted column gear selector lock fitted to the eh and power steering
at the moment i am trying to reproduce air chief radio knobs for a hg holden at the moment and
the mighty red motor was a big step up like 55% in power over the old grey motor that was around for 12 years with no real development and that was with a single down draft stromberg once you bolt a set of twins strommys or triple SUs a bit of head work set of extractors maybe stroke it out to 212 CI and and you can tow a caravan or boat at 114kmh while doing less than 3000rpm
:lek:

the kayak motor steering i will try something differnt from the last three i have built this one i am 3d printing a steering neck thingo

here is an early drawing i still need to smooth it out a bit

fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby zarbs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Obviously a very skilled and talented person. Very interested to follow. :[]: :cool:
zarbs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Postby fc59 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 pm

zarbs wrote:Obviously a very skilled and talented person. Very interested to follow. :[]: :cool:

thank you for the kind words i finished the design and its on the printer being printed at the moment i have no idea if it will work and i could have built 10 from steel in the time i spent designing this one but i am chasing a bit more design and weight reduction by 3d printing plus its fun to learn new stuff when its to windy to fish or weld

fc59
KFDU Angler

Postby Funchy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 am

fc59 wrote:if you look hard enough you can see my ej panel van in the background of one of the above pictures
i take it you and early holden sufferer as well Funchy?

Not that I own any but yes. :gu:
Funchy
KFDU Angler

Next

Return to Do It Yourself