footstraps

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?

footstraps

Postby seachariot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

hi. just wondering about the use of footstraps for returning through the surf zone . personally i dont keep my feet in them after foot got stuck when i wiped out.
seachariot
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane / gold coast
Kayaks: stealth profisha 475

Re: footstraps

Postby Seeker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

i dont use them.... same reason.....
if i wanted extra bracing id probably go thigh straps.
Seeker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Postby seachariot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:52 pm

i know what your saying - a few years ago i had a plastic yak and i needed the thighstraps just to stay in the yak .spent a lot of time swimming but its all part of the learning curve.
seachariot
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane / gold coast
Kayaks: stealth profisha 475

Postby LODO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 am

It's more of a personal choice choice thing really.

I owned a ProFisha 525 and I kept my straps attached to the pedals, but a little on the loose side to make it so I could escape quickly. The benefit there is when you want to "force" your ski into a directional change, you can use your legs. Without that ... you're really just hoping for a smooth ride ... unless your butt can suction cup itself to the seat.

I did some experimenting with and without and found I was heaps happier using them. Prior to that I owned an Evo 465 ... I chose to go without the foot straps on that one because ... well ... it's primary was stability, with a little bit of surf. If I straight lined an entry, all I really had to do was hold on and keep the nose pointing forward. I had to get a huge runup with the Evo and get it going BEFORE the wave got to me ...whereas the ProFisha I could ride the wave and have a little fun with it, which also meant I could avoid the breaking wave if required by manouvreing.

Foot straps got me out of a lot of sticky situations on the ProFisha, and were not necessary in the Evo.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby murd » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:23 pm

After trying mine out on the Fisha 460 I took them off as I found paddling/steering just as easy without them. I avoid the bigger swell launches / re-entries where they might be usefull but to date have never felt myself losing control of the pedals by not having the straps on.
murd
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Postby LODO » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm

You make a good point Murd ... if you're not in the bigger stuff, the footstraps aren't really a necessity. But if you're coming along the face of a large enough wave and seeing the wave breaking ... that extra grip using the foot straps to muscle the ski in the direction you need, can be quite a help.

It's understanding what conditions you're prepared to be in and ensuring you are set up for the "worst" of those conditions.

Better to have someting you don't need, than need something you don't have.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Slick Mick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 am

There's another reason for footstraps on the Stealths and that is leg drive. Most Stealth fishing yaks are a more stable version of a surf ski. They were designed for surf launches, landings and to be fast, especially in ocean swells. They are very good for trolling (which i predominantly use mine for). Leg drive in technical terms is when you push / pull your heels back against the lower part of the pedal when you are paddling, combined with the rotation of your hips in the seat. This is where kayak and surf ski racers get their speed from. The footstraps are designed to hold your foot in place.

I am a bit biased here as I race marathons in K1s and ocean skis as my other pastime, without footstraps I am at a massive disadvantage speed-wise.

When I am fishing in an estuary or skinny water I just loosen the straps, easy to swing your feet out and is not an issue...for me.

Anyway, that's my take on it and each to their own. As others have mentioned, if you do not paddle in the suds or rough stuff they are probably a pain, therefore take them off.

Cheers,
Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).
Slick Mick
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 500, Stellar SEI & SEL Surfski, Vajda K1

Postby LODO » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Yep ... what Mick said :wink:
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Do It Yourself