footstraps

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?

footstraps

Postby seachariot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

hi. just wondering about the use of footstraps for returning through the surf zone . personally i dont keep my feet in them after foot got stuck when i wiped out.
seachariot
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane / gold coast
Kayaks: stealth profisha 475

Re: footstraps

Postby Seeker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

i dont use them.... same reason.....
if i wanted extra bracing id probably go thigh straps.
Seeker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Postby seachariot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:52 pm

i know what your saying - a few years ago i had a plastic yak and i needed the thighstraps just to stay in the yak .spent a lot of time swimming but its all part of the learning curve.
seachariot
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane / gold coast
Kayaks: stealth profisha 475

Postby LODO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 am

It's more of a personal choice choice thing really.

I owned a ProFisha 525 and I kept my straps attached to the pedals, but a little on the loose side to make it so I could escape quickly. The benefit there is when you want to "force" your ski into a directional change, you can use your legs. Without that ... you're really just hoping for a smooth ride ... unless your butt can suction cup itself to the seat.

I did some experimenting with and without and found I was heaps happier using them. Prior to that I owned an Evo 465 ... I chose to go without the foot straps on that one because ... well ... it's primary was stability, with a little bit of surf. If I straight lined an entry, all I really had to do was hold on and keep the nose pointing forward. I had to get a huge runup with the Evo and get it going BEFORE the wave got to me ...whereas the ProFisha I could ride the wave and have a little fun with it, which also meant I could avoid the breaking wave if required by manouvreing.

Foot straps got me out of a lot of sticky situations on the ProFisha, and were not necessary in the Evo.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby murd » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:23 pm

After trying mine out on the Fisha 460 I took them off as I found paddling/steering just as easy without them. I avoid the bigger swell launches / re-entries where they might be usefull but to date have never felt myself losing control of the pedals by not having the straps on.
murd
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Return to Do It Yourself