Hobie livewell modifications

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?

Hobie livewell modifications

Postby Gazzaguru » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Well, I,m sicking of looking at the hobie livewell in the garage so I decided to pull it apart and see why it would not work. It packed it in about 18 months ago on its second voyage and I got the shits with it and threw it in a corner of the garage. I decided to pull it apart and first off was the switch. It looked a very basic switch but it had the green cancer around the wiring so I took it off to Jaycar and see what they have. Well, the guy was tremendous. Showed me 3 waterproof switches and I decided to go with a black rubber toggle switch. At $12 I thought if it don,t work its not worth worrying about. Took it home and drilled out the hole in the livewell to a bigger size and fitted the switch. Now, the hard part wiring it up as the new switch had a brown wire and a yellow wire and the livewell had a red wire and a black wire. First go, and I had the pump running straight away. Only problem was that I could not turn the pump off no matter what position the switch was in. :gu: I played around until I got it right. I then used electrical tape around all the wiring and connections and sealed it with liquid electrical tape. Boy is that stuff good. Anyhow, 2 hours later and I tried it in the bath tub much to the amusement of the grandkids. I,m sure they think I,m mad and they are probably right. Anyhow, I have a livewell which works again. I almost gave the thing away for free. I had given up on using it. Gaz.
hobie livewell 001 (Medium).jpg

hobie livewell 002 (Medium).jpg

hobie livewell 003 (Medium).jpg

hobie livewell 004 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.
Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

Re: Hobie livewell modifications

Postby jet01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Mate that's a great idea. I've just had my switch by the boys at Taren Point. Next time it goes, I might look down this path.

Any chance you could run me through the mods you've made with the garden hose attachments.... Looks as though you'd be able to use it to carry bream to a weigh in etc....
Life tastes better with salt.

No yak right now - we needed the garage for the car of all things!
Botany Bay/Port Hacking
jet01
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South Sydney region
Kayaks: 2015 Hobie outback

Postby addysol » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Nice fix Gaz. Seems a bit shitty that the hobie switch isnt even waterproof
-Adam

Brisbane Kayak Fishing Club
Image Image
Yak PB's
Aus Bass -26cm , Fork-Tail Catfish -30cm, Fresh Water Catfish -42cm, Snub Nosed Garfish -16cm, Whiting -26cm, Squire -28cm, Bream - 23cm, Grinner - 36cm, Shovel-nose - 70cm, Flathead (WOOO) - 41cm
addysol
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 11 "Red Baron"

Postby jet01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 pm

addysol wrote:Nice fix Gaz. Seems a bit shitty that the hobie switch isnt even waterproof

I was thinking the same thing when mine went. Especially when you think about how much you pay for it retail.
Life tastes better with salt.

No yak right now - we needed the garage for the car of all things!
Botany Bay/Port Hacking
jet01
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South Sydney region
Kayaks: 2015 Hobie outback

Postby arpie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Well done, Gazz!! Great job! You can also get that thick 'red rubber paint' stuff (to dip tool handles in) that could work as good as (possibly better) than the tape? Or whack some on top of the tape, to be sure, to be sure?

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby GRIMMASON » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 pm

I had replaced the original switch as well, got the toggle switch too & that too karked it, so i am putting the switch on the battery cover away

from water
GRIMMASON
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: anywhere

Postby Gazzaguru » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm

addysol wrote:Nice fix Gaz. Seems a bit shitty that the hobie switch isnt even waterproof

It was wrapped in red shrinkproof but I had to cut it away as too much corrosion and I don,t think it was real waterproof.
jet01 wrote:Mate that's a great idea. I've just had my switch by the boys at Taren Point. Next time it goes, I might look down this path.

Any chance you could run me through the mods you've made with the garden hose attachments.... Looks as though you'd be able to use it to carry bream to a weigh in etc....
The garden hose attachments are just some Bunnings plumbing I put in so the water intake stays higher than the overflow tube. Without this, the hobie livewell drains water slowly through the intake at bottom of tank. I pinched this idea off the forum ages ago. If you do a search you will find plenty of different mods. It works and holds the water well.
jet01 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when mine went. Especially when you think about how much you pay for it retail.

Actually thats what made me so peeved off when you consider what you pay for these livewells. They do everything 99.99% great and yet put a cheap and nasty switch on the product. I cannot understand it. I have spent plenty of money on hobie equipment and am one of their greatest fans. I hope to see an improvement on their livewells one day with the switch. Apart from that, the livewells are great and give you 3 vertical rod holders at the back which are very useful. Gaz.
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.
Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

Postby michelle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 am

yes i have had to replace the switch on Scotts as well. I find those switches from jaycar are not water proof and do get some corrosion after a while [i use them on my home made live well as well] but I always carry a spare and they are easily replaced.
Michelle
outback 2013
PB from Kayak
bream 38 cm soft plastic bream 40 cm sammy 65 black bream 41cm ZX
blackfish 42 cm on ZX flounder 28cm tailor 49.5cm snapper 39cm
flathead 81 cm whiting 41.5cm trevalley 47cm jewie 59.5cm
carp 74cm 6.5 kg BASS 46CM
Image http://www.markscustomfishing.com/
michelle
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Port Stephens

Postby oldyakka » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Gee's Gaz I had seen this earlier :cry: :cry: as I have replaced the original switch with a similar one and now am going at it again :grr: :grr: . Got a hobie switch and it looks like the one you took out originally. I will be having a go at how you fixed yours.

cheers

oldyakka
Terry
M an
L azing
A bout
Yak PB:: Bass 43 Yellow Belly 44 Kingfish 48 Flathead 59 Rock Cod 28 Salmon 55 Sgt Baker 59 Cod 62 Bream 23
Member Team Green Ginger

oldyakka
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Centeral Coast
Kayaks: Pro Angler

Postby Estuary Girl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice fix Gazza and I like the sound on that liquid electrical tape.
:wink:
Toni

Club Co-Ordinator
Estuary Girl
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: SE QLD,Far North NSW
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 495,Ultra 4.3,Dirigo,Prowler 13 & Scrambler 11.

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi

You should open up the switch by lifting up the tabs up have a look in there and see the corrosion
mine was almost falling apat inside
Lanoxed Mine every trip when i first got it still didnt last 8 months hobie dealer said they would only replace it with the same
told them dont bother fitted the same switch nearly 3 years now no problems , think the same switches are being sold on current livewells

Cheers Mr T
Member of
Mr T
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: PORT STEPHENS/Newcastle/

Postby intrepid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:59 pm

just a tip for those who are soldering (or otherwise - YMMV)

Jaycar also have heatshrink with glue lining inside:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WH5640

by using 3 layers of this you can get a virtually perfect waterproof seal on the rewiring when using a toggle with flying leads,

like this one:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... item=84208
Dave - still learning what i don't know...
intrepid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: red Revo 13 with livewell

Return to Do It Yourself