Hobie twist & stow hatch leaking

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
ua5qb
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Monaro & Far Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: OutBack (RIP), Hobie AI (not red or yellow)

Hobie twist & stow hatch leaking

#1 Post by ua5qb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:46 pm

After the last few days of weather, thought I'd check on the AI, the centre hatch has a cut down bucket inside. To my surprise it had an inch of water in it, the water can only have gotten into the cut down bucket through the hatch. Opened the rear hatch and there was more water inside the hull. This additional water must have come through the rear hatch, as I said the centre hatch has a bucket and the fored hatch has had additional seals installed.

It was a few litres of water, either the seals don't seal or it came through the twist lock of the hatch.

This answers a question I've had for a while, how is salt water getting in when I haven't opened a hatch?

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they solve it?

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Hobie twist & stow hatch leaking

#2 Post by arpie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Has the yak been sitting out in the yard, in the rain? I used to find that when I hosed the yak down, some would get in thru the hatches

cheers

Roberta

Just re-read & saw the mention of 'salt water' ....... might be an idea to check out your whole hull for cracks (re the water in the hull) - or double check that the rear of your yak is 'clear of the water' as sometimes water can get in thru the rudder cable holes.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#3 Post by laneends » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 am

run a hose over the suspect area and see what happens. If in doubt replace the seals. Generally hatch doesn't need to be closed fully flush to ensure a seal.

Do you ever spray a bit of silicone lube on the seals?

grant ashwell
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast

#4 Post by grant ashwell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:48 am

Sometimes the hatch sealing ring can become twisted. Spray it and the hatch "base"with MrSheen plus reseat it. The front hatch will leak when punching through waves (water spilling over them) I spray the inside seal to make it seat better but to totally cure it, you will need to glue a thin strip of good quality foam all the way around the inside of the hatch cover. Other leak points are the drive well and any holes that you might have drilled. If you have the later model with black trolley inserts screwed in then this is an option as the hull can be compromised here by slightly misaligned reaming.
I have never had the cable holes leak as they are encased in tubing inside the hull.

Grant

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#5 Post by nigel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:04 am

smearing some vasaline round the rims will help

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

Tiny Torpedo
2015 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#6 Post by Tiny Torpedo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks for starting this thread!! I too, get water inside the hull. Not as much as a few litres but enough to concern me :?: Its usually enough to be soaked up by an average sized towel, yet still annoying :grr:
I'm hardly ever in the salt as freshwater is my domain, so that aspect I'm ok with...
My yak is homed in a kayak shed and only really hosed down when its had a dose of salt. (I also haven't come across any cracks in the hull either - thank gawd)
The hatch seal has been sprayed with silicone lube recently and it now closes like a dream but after a recent trip, I still found water in the hull! I'm starting to think this is just normal...?
Please keep the responses coming!!!
Cheers,
Ez
Cheers,
Ezza

arpie

#7 Post by arpie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 am

.....I have never had the cable holes leak as they are encased in tubing inside the hull......

Interesting! That may be only in the newer yaks, Grant? Will check my new Sport! In my old one, when I had the Livewell on, it lowered the rear so much that water got in thru the rudder cable holes (3-4 years back.) So I reduced the amount of water in the livewell by lowering the 'exit hole' and not had a problem since. :grin: Mind you - I don't use the livewell these days, either! :wink:

...Its usually enough to be soaked up by an average sized towel, yet still annoying...

Keep an eye on it after every trip, Ez & ua5qb - tiny cracks can allow small amounts of water ...... if you notice MORE than 'normal', get it thoroughly checked out. Checking the interior of the yak with an extremely bright torch in the garage with the lights out - particularly around the mirage drive area & seat posts, even the wheel holes if you use the plug in wheels

How old is your yak Ez and ua5qb?

cheerio

Roberta

Tiny Torpedo
2015 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#8 Post by Tiny Torpedo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 am

arpie wrote: ...Its usually enough to be soaked up by an average sized towel, yet still annoying...

Keep an eye on it after every trip, Ez & ua5qb - tiny cracks can allow small amounts of water ...... if you notice MORE than 'normal', get it thoroughly checked out. Checking the interior of the yak with an extremely bright torch in the garage with the lights out - particularly around the mirage drive area & seat posts, even the wheel holes if you use the plug in wheels

How old is your yak Ez and ua5qb?

cheerio

Roberta
Thanks for your words of wisdom RP!! Will do!!
BTW, my baby is 1 year, 1 month and 1 week old today!! (Yes, I have this weird ability where I remember alot of random dates :roll: I feel like I should celebrate this mile stone or something!! :grin: :lol: )
Cheers,
Ezza

arpie

#9 Post by arpie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Yours is still under full warranty, Ez - if you are at all concerned, take it back to your supplier & have it noted & checked NOW (particularly if you've NEVER had water in the hull before) - just in case of problems later on! :wink: (Hopefully not!)

No excuses for not remembering the date of MY new yak - Xmas Day! :lol:

cheers

RP

casper08
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: corindi
Kayaks: Revo 13

#10 Post by casper08 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 pm

I found the seals dry out, this may be the reason for your leak. Maybe some dry lub or silicone spray might help
Pb: spotted mac 5kg Spanish 9kg

ua5qb
KFDU 500 Club

#11 Post by ua5qb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 pm

grant ashwell wrote:The front hatch will leak when punching through waves (water spilling over them) I spray the inside seal to make it seat better but to totally cure it, you will need to glue a thin strip of good quality foam all the way around the inside of the hatch cover.Grant
Yep, cut up a closed cell foam mat into strips and glued them to the inside of the hatch lid, no water passes through there. I read somewhere, someone put silicone on the rudder strings and worked them back and forth to provide a better seal
grant ashwell wrote:If you have the later model with black trolley inserts screwed in then this is an option as the hull can be compromised here by slightly misaligned reaming.Grant
I sure hope not!

The water came in during the recent storms, I left it uncovered when it was pouring, went to get the battery out and noticed a bit of water. Went to the rear hatch and it had good inch of water. It was dry internally before the rain, given it was static I'm perplexed that the hatches can't resist rain ingress. I've completely siliconed the hatch rings and screws as I thought that might be where the salt water was egressing. Rain water is either coming in through the hatches or the support for the mast is not sealed.

I'll recheck the hatch seals and give them a clean with mr Sheen.

Has anyone removed or serviced the mast support or checked it for water tightness.

As a last resort, I'm considering fill the hull with water and see if there is hidden leak! will be a heavy boat to drain :cry:

Sway9
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Austi to Batemans Bay
Kayaks: Team FOIB Mini X

#12 Post by Sway9 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:36 am

Not a hobie owner but there are a few things I've picked up about waterproofing, etc. The one thing I want to mention which can be over looked, the seals will not fully seal if a Tiny little bit of salt or sand gets in, now if you have multiple pieces of sand in the hatch this could cause a pretty decent leak. The salt water can corrode as we all know but it could corrode and entire circle so to the naked eye it looks the same but is in fact slightly smaller, have you found it harder to close the hatch lately?

Just a couple things, this is why I'm not taking my action camera out of its case while on the water, it won't get opened until I'm home
#FOIB
You were beaten once before
But its not like that anymore

dru
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

#13 Post by dru » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:56 am

Sway9 wrote:Not a hobie owner but there are a few things I've picked up about waterproofing, etc. The one thing I want to mention which can be over looked, the seals will not fully seal if a Tiny little bit of salt or sand gets in, now if you have multiple pieces of sand in the hatch this could cause a pretty decent leak. The salt water can corrode as we all know but it could corrode and entire circle so to the naked eye it looks the same but is in fact slightly smaller, have you found it harder to close the hatch lately?

Just a couple things, this is why I'm not taking my action camera out of its case while on the water, it won't get opened until I'm home
The Hobie lock down mechanism is quite mechanical and should really avoid most of these issues. I see talk here of all sorts of lube. We use armorall same as I do on my SIK. Makes a big difference to using the hatch, not so sure it makes it more watertight.

If a leak is a few litres... It needs looking into.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.

arpie

#14 Post by arpie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:23 am

Also check under your seat - the older yaks have holes that the seat lugs 'push' in to ....... some of these have developed cracks on occasion & could explain the hull water after heavy rain.

RP

ua5qb
KFDU 500 Club

#15 Post by ua5qb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:32 am

Sway9 wrote:Not a hobie owner but there are a few things I've picked up about waterproofing, etc. The one thing I want to mention which can be over looked, the seals will not fully seal if a Tiny little bit of salt or sand gets in, now if you have multiple pieces of sand in the hatch this could cause a pretty decent leak. The salt water can corrode as we all know but it could corrode and entire circle so to the naked eye it looks the same but is in fact slightly smaller, have you found it harder to close the hatch lately?

Good point.

Return to “Do It Yourself”