rudder spring repair

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
m2piper
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW

rudder spring repair

#1 Post by m2piper » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:57 pm

hello all, first post, new to kayak experience.

Out on the lake today (Canberra) and tried the rudder for the first time. Paddling along and there was a thump noise from behind me, couldn't see anything but when i got close to shore and wanted to raise the rudder, I realised the spring assist had gone and it was stuck down.

Inspection suggests that the spring has removed itself from its housing or lock point internally in the rudder housing. Cannot see how to open this to reseat the spring or remove it which I assume you should be able to do if, for example, you wanted to replace a broken rudder blade. Pic attached for reference.

Anyone got experience with this or is it "welcome to the disposable world" and a whole new assembly?

thanks

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mehi
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Re: rudder spring repair

#2 Post by mehi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:29 pm

in the pic it appears to have the ability to come apart I'd just try a bit of persuasion. To me it looks like the whole mechanism has just come undone and the spring has come out of it;s housing and jammed up
Tight lines Dave
Swing,Dagger Drifter Pedalfish 10

m2piper
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by m2piper » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:38 pm

looks like that to me too - hoping someone else has experienced this and can provide inspiration - just cannot see how it comes apart :(

mehi
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by mehi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm assuming if you stand behind the yak, grab the left hand side of the nut on the rudder with the left hand the right hand side with your right hand
With the left hand hold firm with the right hand turn anticlockwise and the baby should come apart if it doesn't work that way try clockwise
and if that doesn't work I think your up shit creek my friend. Hopefully you have a good outcome I don't think it'll be hard fix once you know the procedure to do so
It might also help if you let us know what make of kayak it is, then someone will definitely know how to fix it
Good luck
Tight lines Dave

m2piper
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by m2piper » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm

FIXED! - the solid housing on the left side of the rudder is not a screw cover but a cover with 2 plugs that pushes in to the housing - a flat blade screw driver slid under the edge and lift and presto! Can then access the split pin that keeps the spring tension rod locked in. Reseat the spring, tension and lock tension post in to its 2 plug holes and re-insert split pin (brass washers to reduce lateral play). Unfortunately the spring retainer end is too short and comes out of its housing when the rudder tensions it - will look to get a spring with a longer retainer end, but problem solved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mehi
KFDU 500 Club

#6 Post by mehi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:39 pm

A good outcome awesome ,time to get back out and play, enjoy the water dude
Tight lines Dave

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#7 Post by Steve R » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 pm

That looks like a new new yak. If so, get it back to the shop and have them check it over.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

mehi
KFDU 500 Club

#8 Post by mehi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Steve is spot on
Tight lines Dave

Machuwa
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hawkesbury
Kayaks: Dace Pro Angler 12

#9 Post by Machuwa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting this Mark, I took my kayak out for the first time today and had the exact same problem. Your pictures helped me fix the loose spring! :grin:
Cheers
Kris

Return to “Do It Yourself”