trailer bunks

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
sid_fishes
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: S.E.QLD

trailer bunks

#1 Post by sid_fishes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:52 pm

i,m building a trailer to suit my hobie pa 14 and i,m not sure what to use for bunks[skids etc]
ive seen some use boat trailer skids , others with downpipe
so if i use pvc downpipe how do i mount it ? so i dont crack the bottom out of it
thanks in advance

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

Re: trailer bunks

#2 Post by pavo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:15 pm

I know there not cheap but I used the hobie PA specific cradles if you want to treat you hull right.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#3 Post by laneends » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm

I use PVC pressure pipe. bolted on two crossrails. Profile timber or thick dowl section inside pipe where bolted to rail. Only underside bolted. Use either coach screws or hole in top tube to access nut. I have a third cross bar midway, which is slightly lower, and rails rest on pad, not bolted. This allows tube to bow to hull shape. If you use rigid flat rails remember bottom of a kayak is not flat. But it soon will be if you keep strapping down to flat rails.

Also when strapping down, wrap straps around hull and cross over under, rather than just strap over top as that flattens hull. Full wrap with cross over is more rigid and applies pressure to side of hull to stop any flattening.

Ke00
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem & Hobie PA14

#4 Post by Ke00 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 am

laneends wrote: Also when strapping down, wrap straps around hull and cross over under, rather than just strap over top as that flattens hull. Full wrap with cross over is more rigid and applies pressure to side of hull to stop any flattening.
laneends, I don't quite follow you about crossing over for being more rigid ? I'd like to know anything that will help me transport my kayak.

Thanks
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work EVERY TIME

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#5 Post by laneends » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 pm

You wrap the straps twice around the kayak and cross over the crossbars below. not the rails. You are not strapping to the rails. In my case it is the roof bars, but on a trailer it would be the support bars onto which the rails are attached

Like this:
IMG_1448r.JPG
NOT LIKE THIS which compresses the hull and allows side to side movement
IMG_1450r.JPG
If you have substantial chines (channels) on your hull rails dont even need to be attached, they are sandwiched there, you can pop them in place after sliding kayak onto bars. Useful if you use the roof bars or trailer for other purposes than carrying a kayak. Alternatively attach them to a frame that you you sit on top of bars as required. I do this with a couple of bungies which are there to stop it moving when loading kayak. They simply help with sliding and guiding hull on. Remember yak is not strapped to rails but cross bars, so they wont go anywhere once yak is strapped down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sid_fishes
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: S.E.QLD

#6 Post by sid_fishes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 am

thanks to everyone for the replies

ian

kneighbour
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

#7 Post by kneighbour » Thu May 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Went down to Bunnings tonight to get some PVC pipes just like you suggest, but they are pretty expensive. Like $17 each. I got a couple of treated pine timbers for $7 - much more my price bracket. It is a good idea though.

ThomasMaloney
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coomera River Gold Coast

#8 Post by ThomasMaloney » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Great to see some of the solutions on the thread here. I've been thinking about how to do this myself and haven't been able to find any good answers to put my kayak up properly just yet. Seems like I'll have to do a little bit more research on this, but if anyone can provide pictures of the solutions that they've got in place for their stuff it would really be very helpful for me while I figure out exactly how I'm gonna do this!

Tim399
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port phillip bay

#9 Post by Tim399 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

My trailer is basically a flat bed with checker plate on top. I use two 2.5m lengths of 65mm pvc that is wrapped in brickies foam (comes in a roll, about $15 from Bunnings from memory) then went over the foam with duct tape. These pipes sit in the channels of the PA14, and with the foam taking the shape of the checker plate surface the kayak doesn't have to be strapped down too tight to be secure and not slide. I also have a strip of nylon across the back of the trailer on the top which helps slide the kayak on the trailer without getting scratched but also curves the pvc upward towards the back, giving more contact with the hull

FishnDive
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

#10 Post by FishnDive » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

On the old trailer I had for my outback I had wooden bunks with runners from BCF added on top. The spacing on the bunks was the same as the distance between the rear scupper holes on the outback.
trailer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack

Return to “Do It Yourself”