DIY landing gear options

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
danfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wagga Wagga
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

DIY landing gear options

#1 Post by danfish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello,

Has anyone made a landing gear system similar to the Boonedox system?
I want to put one on my AI to make launching easier in freezing weather. I don't really look forward to putting in the hobie cart in freezing weather this winter. I will wear waders when launching/retrieving just don't want to get cold wet arms putting the cart in after a trip.
Or has anyone modded a hobie cart so they don't need to get wet installing it?

Cheers
Dan

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: DIY landing gear options

#2 Post by Steve R » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:54 pm

There are some inventive people about

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... +cart+cord
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

OzCrow
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT/South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13

#3 Post by OzCrow » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 pm

danfish wrote:Hello,

Has anyone made a landing gear system similar to the Boonedox system?
I want to put one on my AI to make launching easier in freezing weather. I don't really look forward to putting in the hobie cart in freezing weather this winter. I will wear waders when launching/retrieving just don't want to get cold wet arms putting the cart in after a trip.
Or has anyone modded a hobie cart so they don't need to get wet installing it?

Cheers
Dan

I'm making one that's similar to the boonedox but not require drilling into the hull anywhere.
Ill make it from steel first to get the design working, then make a stainless one.
I bought the cart but can see a few ridiculous hassles, Something Hobie should have developed i thought... so will use this over priced cart to make my own design work.
I like the wheels on it and axle size plus the height adjusters look good. $20 bucks of 25mm round tube is all I need I think.
I want it to be unobtrusive and manageable for a fully loaded launch and then return to carpark without any wet arm pits or spilled out gear.

Sutekh
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Seaford SA

#4 Post by Sutekh » Wed May 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi Guys, am considering some landing options myself, I have been toying with attaching to H rail system, no drilling into my expensive yak, no try to reach inside hull to awkward anchor points, but not sure if H-rail can support weight of fully loaded yak (PA 12) which could top out at around 75 kgs, H-rail is only held by one allen bolt at each end and Im not sure how they are anchored to the gunwale, any thoughts

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#5 Post by arpie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Somewhere, I've seen a similar setup to the Boonedox, using downpipe in the rod holders instead of drilling holes into the yak - so the whole thing is also removeable. They also still had 2 rod holders as a part of the design - it was quite clever.

However, the link that Steve R put up is the best with minimal modification to your existing wheels - & it has about 10 variations of 'OldTimer's design' as people have developed the idea further, to suit their own craft - and if done correctly, you can literally, chuck the wheels in the water as you approach the shore & pull the Bungee cord & have them 'in' the scupper holes in seconds - without even getting your feet wet!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

OzCrow
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by OzCrow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm taking measurements this week for other Hobie hulls and skipping the Beta design thought.
I think I will have a design made in a week or 2. Not drilling is my thoughts and easy self deploying.
I'm looking at making it to incorporate the more expensive inflatable wheels as possible floatation stabilisers..

just a bit of fun but will look at manufacturing if it looks worthy and works like i think it will... and interest is there of course

At this stage the the PA range needs more engineering to make it work and not compromise the hull integrity. Not my focus just yet, I just want my rig right first.
Stay tuned

OzCrow
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by OzCrow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Sutekh wrote:Hi Guys, am considering some landing options myself, I have been toying with attaching to H rail system, no drilling into my expensive yak, no try to reach inside hull to awkward anchor points, but not sure if H-rail can support weight of fully loaded yak (PA 12) which could top out at around 75 kgs, H-rail is only held by one allen bolt at each end and Im not sure how they are anchored to the gunwale, any thoughts
The H-rail is not designed to lift the boat. Lifting should come from the bottom friend.
gimme bit of time I'm working on something cool..

ThomasMaloney
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coomera River Gold Coast

#8 Post by ThomasMaloney » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm sure that if you look around the internet enough that you'll find some pretty ingenious solutions for docking and coming back up to shore. Or if not, it seems like it might be a pretty good idea to come up with some kind of portable unit that allows us to do so, and get it on Kickstarter or something. It sure seems like there are more than enough people in the community to help you fund an idea like that if you've got something you want to develop...

Return to “Do It Yourself”