Time to upgrade Trailer

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
djfrestyla
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yass, NSW, NSW South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Pellalfish 13, Peddalfish 10, Scorpio XL, Scorpio

Time to upgrade Trailer

#1 Post by djfrestyla » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi all,
With the cold weather about, I decided to get in the shed & tinker with a new trailer build.
My old Trailer was great, but the Mrs was having trouble lifting the front of the Kayak onto the cradle, there for I decided to put the kayaks on the bottom and store gear up the top.
I needed some extra width for both the Kayaks, so decided to build up a frame to get the floor to clear the guards (like a caravan), firstly checking the NSW RMS website for the legal dimensions, etc as I needed 1.85 m wide for both the yaks & the posts.
I started with RHS and made the basic box frame, then added the cradles, that's when I realised that the 50x50 drawbar was going to have a bit too much flex, and the 50x25mm frame rails on the trailer were going to be too light (as I was planning to put 2 big gal boxes on top), so off came the frame and I added some 50x100mm RHS under the drawbar, and some 4mm flat strap to the outside of the frame, using 2 welds underneath to 1 on top every 150mm (to create a bridge type strength effect).
Trailer Frame.JPG
This worked a treat, no more flex, so it was back to re installing the crate section, then I decided it was too high to comfortably reach the boxes, so I chopped 300mm out of the height, test fitted kayaks, added the tool boxes, and put 85mm PVC bunks for the Hobie, and added extra centre supports for the Peddalfish.
I still have a bit of work to do in paint, wiring, some new wheels, and to cover in between the boxes with alloy checker plate.
front.JPG
Back.JPG
side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

Re: Time to upgrade Trailer

#2 Post by WayneD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Very nicely done. Even room for another up top in between the boxes.
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

Return to “Do It Yourself”