Another trolling motor / battery question (Moken 14)

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Blaaahkey
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460, Moken 14

Another trolling motor / battery question (Moken 14)

#1 Post by Blaaahkey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26 am

Hey guys,

My apologies first up for yet another motor / battery question, but I couldn't find the answers to all my stupid noob questions lol

Okay so the plan is to install a trolling motor inside the wheel arch of my Moken 14, basically to get to the inshore reefs quicker and the obvious to troll with too. I also fish canals and river systems to, so it will be also for travelling to spots quicker.

The Moken is a heavy boat to start with but has excellent buoyancy, I’m trying to decide what sized motor / battery combo to use in conjunction with a PWM speed control unit.

I have seen another guy on here with the same install using a 34lb Watersnake and he was getting just under 7km/h top speed. The whole setup was quiet impressive.

I'm tossing up between the 24lb (5kg) & 34lb (8.5kg) Watersnake and either powering it with a 45ah (14.5kg) or a 60ah (17.7kg) deep cycle battery.

I understand the bigger the motor the more power it draws and bigger doesn't always mean faster, but given the heavy boat with the thrust of the 34lb would it be the better option?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what you guys who have some experience in this field have to say.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Blake

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Another trolling motor / battery question (Moken 14)

#2 Post by Dodge » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Blaaahkey wrote: but I couldn't find the answers to all my stupid noob questions .................

I'm tossing up between the 24lb (5kg)
Blake it is unlikely you would find any support for using a leccy offshore as it is a very risky idea, and possibly why you can find nothing on the forum.

Would strongly urge you to rethink this decision mate.

Inside waters use only ..... reckon the 24lb would be adequate for trolling the moken though.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Return to “Do It Yourself”