Simple Longtail cordless drill motor

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Lachiew
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Whitsundays

Simple Longtail cordless drill motor

#1 Post by Lachiew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 pm

If you look at new members forum Airlie Beach /phuket 50 50 photos you can see the images. The shaft is made of 1m threaded rod( I use 5/8),you will then need 2 nuts and washers to secure the prop a nd 2 nuts and washers to hold a 500 mm black irrigation riser in place but not tightened so the rod can spin inside it. All these nuts should be secured using locktight. The prop I bought in Thailand for 3 dollars Oz but if you look around you can use something similar. The motor I bought at bunnings an ozito brushless (80)which is powerful I also have a brushed at 40dollars as a spare. When I am not using the motor I keep the drill in a dry bag with the batteries and the shaft which is secured using a monkey strap, (I was looking at a 3 way mechanical device but I felt 250 dollars was not in the spirit of things). If you have any questions please ask. This is simple easly stowed powerful and cheap.If any one wants to manufacture these I can put you onto the Thailand prop manufacturer. (I am past running a business) Cheers

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Simple Longtail cordless drill motor

#2 Post by arpie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:10 pm

2 pics of the 'drill powered

outboard' ......
Drill powered outboard motor for yak.jpg
A better view of it .....
Drill powered outboard motor for yak 2.jpg
It looks VERY interesting! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Lachiew
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Lachiew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm

A couple of things I should point out. The problem With an electric outboard is that because the motor is attached halfway along its shaft it continually wants to pivot backwards, whereas the long tail is a direct drive forward thus no pivot. Also it is easy controlled in shallow water, just by lifting and when not using it lies back onto the stern. I have a simple netting to hold the motor, this is not required as when you are finished using the drill you put it back in the dry bag.. If you were not using outriggers then a tube out from the kayak is all that is required, the only force from the motor is forward thus no turning motion. Cheers

JustAddWater
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: AU

#4 Post by JustAddWater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:41 pm

How long does it go for on a fully charged battery? and what is the thrust like?

murd
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

#5 Post by murd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am

Looks identical to the Aldi cordless drill that I have. I thought I was smart using the dough whisk from a Kenwood mix-master attached to it to make bread but this extends the options!

Always wondered with those asian prop set-ups though, as energy is being wasted by the angle/trim of the prop in relation to the hull - you are basically wasting power pushing the stern up out of the water. You still go forward, but not as efficiently as a prop that is trimmed correctly.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#6 Post by laneends » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 pm

How does that go in a salt marine environment

Lachiew
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Lachiew » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm

To answer the questions using an oziro 18v brushless from bunnings and a 4ah battery on a dragon profisher I get full power 1.5 km at 9km/hr and 2.5km at 6.5km hr at 3/4 power. Oddly enough the Longtail is highly efficient ( over the years I have had 4 of them) it is standard propulsion on multi million dollar white boats, I think it is called the Anderson system from Denmark or Sweden. You will see a big roosters tail out the back when underway. The prop is very efficient when half out of the water to near the surface. And you notice this even on a Kayak. The other question, there is no problem in salt water, both my kayaks in Oz and phuket are in saltwater all the time. When there is a good breeze about and waves I use a supermarket plastic bag wrapped around the drill. Cheers

steve202
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: outback

#8 Post by steve202 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 pm

That's a good idea

Return to “Do It Yourself”