Self addhesive lash points

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Frit
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Kaskazi Dorado

Self addhesive lash points

#1 Post by Frit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi guys, had a dilemma about how to do a suitable paddle park. Used to have it across my lap, or to get it completely out of the way would just toss it overboard and retrieve it by the leash. Didn't really want to drill any holes in my glass, so it needed to be some sort of adhesive. Couldn't find a spot I was happy with to do a bungee cord against the cockpit, so it looked like one on the bow ala stealth. Came across these self adhesive lash points in anaconda, I got them on sale for $15. Says it's a really strong adhesive, and so far looks good. Found some self adhesive foam in 200 wide strips at bunnings, it's only soft foam, so will have to see how it holds up. If I need to it could be replaced with diamond deck or similar but this was only a fraction of the price. On the water it's easy to use, and the foam really grips the paddle well. I can shove it in there in a hurry and it doesn't fall out. Happy days. It says on the pack that these don't stick to hdpe, so obviously no good on ldpe either, so won't work on plastic yaks unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Re: Self addhesive lash points

#2 Post by Cubits » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Looks good, that style of paddle keeper stealth does is so handy. I used my existing anchor points to put one on my viking and use it all the time.

It's doubly handy for holding the butt of a rod for when untangling light braid from the tip, or rigging in general. No more having the rod slide off the yak and dunking the reel while i try not to snap the tip or lose the lot!

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#3 Post by Dodge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:26 am

Cubits wrote:or rigging in general. No more having the rod slide off the yak and dunking the reel while i try not to snap the tip or lose the lot!
Cubits for the problem you mention it is very easy to put a flush deck rod holder near your knee on the gunwale of your kayak.

On this Pacer you can see a rod holder on the deck near the long webbing carry handle, that holder's only purpose was for rigging and unhooking fish etc.
P1020395.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Cubits
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Cubits » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 am

My kayak has two forward flush mounts which i do use when handling a fish. But have you tried reaching the tip of a 7ft rod with it in that holder?

When fishing offshore i have to rig my rods after launching, which means feeding the line through the eyelets on the water. The best way to reach them is by putting the rod butt on the nose of the kayak, secured by the paddle park strap.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

#5 Post by Dodge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

Cubits wrote:But have you tried reaching the tip of a 7ft rod with it in that holder?

The best way to reach them is by putting the rod butt on the nose of the kayak, secured by the paddle park strap.
Of course it is impossible to reach a rod tip with rod nearly vertical, so have never tried, but have seen no need to ever reach to the tip of any sized rod in the rigging holder.

Mate have done full rerig many times while on the water over 10 years.... like you I just feed line thru runners to tip, and end up with butt on front deck, but rod is never secured at this stage as am holding the rod in one hand, only need one hand to feed line, when thru all runners, pull thru enough slack to easily stand the rod upright in side holder while tying the rig, want more slack line? then pull it from reel which is at deck level near your knee
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29

Cubits
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by Cubits » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Mate I'm not sure why you're so against added convenience. The paddle park is useful for parking my paddle, and also for securing my rod when rigging because the short, rounded nose of my kayak makes the rod ocassionally slip off when tooling around with wind knots or tangled lines.

More convenience is good, and not worth this weird argument over your ability to rig a rod.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

#7 Post by Dodge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Cubits wrote:Mate I'm not sure why you're so against added convenience. The paddle park is useful for parking my paddle,
Mate you misinterpreted my original comment, was only suggesting another alternative thought re rigging, and not posted as a negative shot at you. If you are happy with your system, so am I as it is entirely your own business.

Forums are places to offer our own various thoughts on topics, and that was what I did, nothing more

To close, I too also park my paddle on the bow as it happens

revolt
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: adelaide

#8 Post by revolt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

Easy cure for reaching end of 7ft rod. If two piece put in rod holder and pull it apart to get to tip. If one piece, put in shed get two piece rod.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#9 Post by Paulioq » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:42 am

frigen hell every one has an opinon on a post that was more matter of fact then a request for information. see what I reckon you do is....... :roll:

Foghorn
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#10 Post by Foghorn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:07 pm

If you are having trouble with line around your rod tip, get a interline rod, great for spinning, no probs.

Return to “Do It Yourself”