2018 Hobie Revo water under the seat query.

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
grant ashwell
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast

2018 Hobie Revo water under the seat query.

#1 Post by grant ashwell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Howdy. I have the new craft with lounge seat. My first of this seating style. I am finding that the area under the seat is constantly full of water and it then runs forward over the hatch which obviously leaks a little in spite of lubing the seal etc. At the end of the day there is quite a bit of water in the hull. I am therefore dragging around an extra 4-5 l under the seat plus that in the hull. I am aware of the ball and rope business that activates the venturi but--I am carrying 30l in a tank behind me and I am trolling very slowly so the venturi doesn't work (and only partially so when I do 5kmp) I think also that the weight I carry allows water to rise up and force past the ball seal. I have had 5 previous Revos and never had issues before and only a mildly damp bum. I cannot find any solutions on the net but maybe you know where I could look or have fixed this issue yourself. There is not enough space to sponge it out constantly.
I had it suggested that I run a small pump and battery to off load this water or that I fill the underseat area with non absorbent foam so that the water is displaced.

Thank you for thinking about this.
Regards
Grant

koji
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 2017 Hobie PA 14

Re: 2018 Hobie Revo water under the seat query.

#2 Post by koji » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Grant, do you have a Revolution 11 or 13?

What is your estimated fully rigged weight?

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#3 Post by XDCammer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm

I would be looking at dropping some water weight in the back. 8 gallons, 24+ litres looks to be your problem in the new format hull. The molding to fit the seat mod means that the floor is deeper into the hull for the lower COG. It is important specially in the Revolutions. Not so bad in the Outback’s.
If you can get away with less water in the live well and see how you go (of course that would mean less live baits) I’d be trying that approach first.
I know it’s less than perfect,but, consider another live well solution. The 90mm poly pipe live well trick with the fly wire screen ends, however, this will create more drag on the troll.

Another option may be to raise the veturi hole in the yak hull via a tube siliconed onto the top of the floor.
Mark your high water mark in the seat well and see if you can raise the hole with tubing.

Just some considerations.
BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

grant ashwell
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by grant ashwell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Its a 13. I'm thinking about 130kg which is a little over the recommended max. I like the idea of raising the venturi hole so keep your thoughts rolling in
Thanks
Grant

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#5 Post by laneends » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm

16 is even worse. i would consider removing the cord and bung altogether. Water wont flow back up due to forward motion, only according to water respective water levels at rest which is not static, but the drain easily gets clogged so it doesn't drain very well. After each trip give it a good flush and poke something in there to remove any debris. The only time mine overflows as you described is when the drain is closed or clogged. Otherwise it only partially fills, and the revo 16 is a much wetter and lower ride. Be very careful dragging yak backwards on a beach as that is guaranteed to block it.I know it is very annoying when it does stop draining and overflows

If you want to keep the bung and have it closed then if you want to remove water that has come over the side use a manual bilge pump, which you should have anyway. Sponging would take forever. Sometime the bung doesn't seal proper so it wont stay dry.

Water in there is not such a bad thing in rough conditions as it lowers the COG. It can hold a surprisingly large amount of water, I think it is something like 15 litres. I am thinking of putting some sort of honeycomb baffle under the seat to reduce any slopping about
Last edited by laneends on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#6 Post by laneends » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 pm

dont raise the intake as you wont drain anything that is in there. Choppy conditions means there is no static water level.. So if any water does surge up there when at rest it still will, just wont get back out again

If the kayak is arse heavy due to load in the back then ballast the front to bring front level, It will also ride better if more evenly loaded eg water container in the nose fill at waterside.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#7 Post by StevenM » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:21 pm

koji wrote:Hi Grant, do you have a Revolution 11 or 13?

What is your estimated fully rigged weight?
What Grant does Koji

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51283

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#8 Post by XDCammer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm

A manual bilge will only remove as much water as the bilge suction tube will be under water. In this case very little due to the angle the pump tube will have to be located in the seat well, unless the outlet hose was cut on such an angle to match the angle of the seatwell floor. This with a manual bilge pump it would become a PITA (pain in the A$%#) after a while. An electric pump would be a better solution, but, then you would need a battery. (more weight)

Increasing the ballast in the front of the bow will only increase the weight of the whole yak to make the whole hull sit lower in the water.

Capacity weight is Revo 13 is 159KG. If you increase the weight from 130KG I would be considering not to take it too far offshore (40m mark SWR), specially with a Marlin in full tow.

It all lies in the weight you wish to carry unfortunately.

Another way to combat the problem is to give the yak more float. I was thinking of the side kicks this afternoon, but then dismissed the idea. Due to your type of angling you need to be somewhat mobile from the bait grounds to the fishing grounds, and side kicks would create more drag, and not sure how much extra float they would give you.

A bilge system designed by Yakass may be the answer, but it only removes water from inside the hull, not under the seat.

Physics, it's a %#%# sometimes.

BobbyB
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

mattimoto
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

#9 Post by mattimoto » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 pm

You could just stick all those Slimies under your seat Grant. Two problems solved in one...

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by laneends » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:10 pm

A manual bilge pump is used vertically in the recess in front of seat rail to one side and will get the vast bulk of the water out, whats left wont matter I do this all the time in a revo 16, I am assuming the front of the seat well is the same on a 13. Failing that an adaptor tube extension down the side of the seat. The idea is not to dry the well entirely but to prevent it fully flooding.

An extra 4kg or so in the nose will trim the boat more level, it will not just pull the nose down It will reduce the front to back "lurching" over the waves. The pivot point for bouyancy will shift forward raising the stern a tad. It keeps more effective hull line in contact with the water. The kayak will handle better regardless. If the stern is low in the water, due to the natural way of loading fishing kayaks, especially with a live well, it means the nose is lifting out. So your 13 foot kayak may now only have an effective water line of say an 11 foot kayak. The bow wave starts further back down the kayak and hence less sharp an entrance angle so more resistance.

Side kicks dont lift a hull out the water or add bouyancy (unless you are sinking maybe) they are like training wheels and only prevent it leaning too far over to either side. On flat water they aren't even touching the water. They are like side buffers

Filler under the seat wont displace the water anywhere else except to spill over sooner. If you have say a profiled noodle compressed between hull and front seat rail across front of the well it will help to dampen/baffle what water is there from swilling forward out the front as the boat rocks back and forward. It will also prevent you loosing stuff under the seat

Real pain when those undersized spiky flatties get under there and you have to fish them out.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#11 Post by laneends » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Pic of manual pump location, and also noodle "baffle skirt" under seat to prevent water slopping forward with kayak pitching
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

#12 Post by StevenM » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Dam that’s a grubby looking kayak

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#13 Post by laneends » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 pm

StevenM wrote:Dam that’s a grubby looking kayak
yup most of it is squid ink, even though it gets rinsed after every trip. I clean the squid up on the hatch(aka bait board) rather than the kitchen sink..I also use the section in front of the seat as a bait well. The seat stays on the kayak so the seat well doesn't get that good a scrub. Pumps getting old in the tooth as well.

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

#14 Post by StevenM » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:06 am

Nothing bad

Thought it must have been squiddly stains. That shit just stays.

grant ashwell
KFDU Angler

#15 Post by grant ashwell » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for your responses. I have options to try now. This is why forums are worth participating in.
regards
Grant

Return to “Do It Yourself”