Mechanical Jigging for Kingies - try this at Long Reef!!

Got a Video that you'd like to share with everyone else. This is the best place to post up a link to it. Great for 'YouTube' or 'Google Video' links.

Mechanical Jigging for Kingies - try this at Long Reef!!

Postby arpie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 am

Hi guys

This TOP video from Rob Fort (Coromandel Kayaking Adventures) shows you how to do Mechanical Jigging` for Kingfish (and big Samsons in WA.)

You DO need to locate the fish below you on your sounder & then send the heavy jig (or inchiku) down to the bottom. THEN, whilst synchronising a HALF wind whilst LIFTING the rod tip and another HALF wind whilst DROPPING the rod tip and just keep doing that thru about 1/3 of the water depth, then send it back to the bottom & start again, til you get the hit!! ....... You could practise it in front of the TV to get used to the action, as it IS a little weird initially ........ then speed it up, til it becomes 2nd nature!! Then, just wait for the hits! It aggravates them into striking (and keeps you fit!)

Give it a go - I don't think you will be disappointed!

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Mechanical Jigging for Kingies - try this at Long Reef!!

Postby spanky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 am

Great clip Roberta!
I :ht: jigging! Only done it a few times out on the big boat at the GBR. Would love to give it a go off the yak but I can't find any deep enough water within paddling distance. I've got a heap of knife jigs, ranging from 80g to 300g, but have also had heaps of action using 8" z-man jerk shads on 4oz Berkley elevator heads!
I bought a PE5 (50lb) overhead jigging outfit for my last trip... great setup but is pretty heavy and you DO get tired quickly... but there is nothing better that giving your arms a good stretch when you hook up to something big in deep water.

Spanky
spanky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Townsville region
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 575

Postby Salty Dog » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 am

Nice one Roberta, does seem to upset the kingys a bit doesn't it. Bit more offshore practice for me before I go out of my way to upset them. :grin:
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550
Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Berowra

Postby Silverback » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:45 am

is that a fish or is that a fush :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mark
YaK PB Kingfish 75cm Flathead 78cm ,Jewfish 96cm,whiting 47cm,bream 28cm, estuary perch 36cm,goldern perch 68cm,snapper 32cm trevally 42cmFL salmon 66 cm more will come

Member: Sydney Kayak Fishing Club
Silverback
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney south sylvaniam,port hacking,botany bay,
Kayaks: Mokem 14

Postby arpie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Nah ...... THIS is a FUSH!!!! Top kayaker Rob Fort & well known kiwi yak guru Stephen Tapp as well as Shelley.

This is Stuart Cooney - his wife, Shelley is coming over on Wed to come up to SWR for a week with me & Grant Ashwell next week, to go ahuntin' marlin!! ........ well, THEY will be huntin' marlin - I'll be reading fishing magazines, playing ukulele & dreaming of getting back on the yak!!

The clip shows Stuart when he is tired & jigging 'slowly' - he can STILL get the hits - but I think you get a better hookup rate with the faster jigging!

Things get REALLY interesting at the 3 minute mark!! And, he isn't wearing a gimble! :beye:

...but I can't find any deep enough water within paddling distance....

Do you get kingies up that far, Spanky? Worth trying it wherever they normally get the fish - maybe with inchiku rather than the big knife lures, if in shallow water? THey get them in shallow water in NZ!

They went out in 'the mother ship' that you can see in the background of the vid

arpie

Postby spanky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 pm

arpie wrote:Do you get kingies up that far, Spanky? Worth trying it wherever they normally get the fish - maybe with inchiku rather than the big knife lures, if in shallow water? THey get them in shallow water in NZ!

No Roberta unfortunately we don't get yellow tails up here... we do get cobia though, they also call them black kingfish up here... not sure if they're related or not but they go just as hard as their southern couterparts. As for species, you can catch just about everything jigging on the reef... BIG cod, trevally, nannygai, emperor, tuna and mackeral... last time the most shallow water we fished was 30m... lots of little stuff there but the bigger fish were down deeper. Jigging for GT's is just as fun as popping for them... like I said... a good arm stretching!!! I didn't know what inchiku were until I just googled it... I have just bought a few 'slow' jig types... octa jigs and shimano lucanus to take on a boat trip the weekend after next. Might have to get some occy skirts to try aswell (last time we were live baiting squid which was very effective).

What depth do you call shallow water over in NZ?

arpie wrote:They went out in 'the mother ship' that you can see in the background of the vid

Ian (nqkayaktours) is trying to get a 2 or 3 day tour underway with this exact purpose in mind! Would be a fantastic trip to go on! Those who haven't done the GBR don't know what they're missing out on!

Spanky
spanky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Townsville region
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 575

Postby arpie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 pm

...What depth do you call shallow water over in NZ? .....

15m or less .... check out these Google Posts

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=inchiku+jig+nz+shallow&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=EStpUfyMH67UigKXhYD4Bw

Shelley is bringing her slow jigs over to try out at SWR - she may even get a cobia!! Hope so! :lek:

Roberta

arpie

Postby BigPete68 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:11 am

These clips are enough to make a fella want ti immigrate. Problem is I like woman more than sheep :lol: .
All the same I fish similar waters around the Barrier Island off Auckland every year. A good mate has a 60ft motor yacht in Auckland and he and his boys are typical crazy kiwis and right into fishing and diving. Haven't tried jigging this way though. Can confirm a slow jiggled big soft plastic worm works a treat on kiwi snapper.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.
BigPete68
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

Return to The 'Drive In'