Glenelg River Camping Trip - EP and Mulloway

Got a Video that you'd like to share with everyone else. This is the best place to post up a link to it. Great for 'YouTube' or 'Google Video' links.

Glenelg River Camping Trip - EP and Mulloway

Postby Ads22 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm

G'day Folks,

Haven't done a report yet, but here's a video from our camping trip down the Glenelg River. We were a bit restricted on available time, and the weather became pretty ordinary and rained for 24 hours straight. The video is a bit long, but wanted to give enough time to the River and the National Park, also the reason there is no music to drown out the birds, paddle, etc.

Anyway, if you care to take the time to watch, I hope you enjoy and it inspires someone to venture to this area. It's a beautiful place and I would happily spend a week or more travelling down the river.

https://youtu.be/_wBMqDAUmNQ

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Glenelg River Camping Trip - EP and Mulloway

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:08 am

A magical place it is indeed!

I never tire of the place even if the weather is sometimes a little ordinary. Whilst wet, at least the wind stayed away. That would've made the fishing a little more difficult!

I've only ever put the yak in there once and that was in the lower reaches, but the higher reaches are truly spectacular ey..

Looks like the flows have slowed but the water is still dirty, my next trip scheduled for two weeks, might be a little tougher than I had hoped. Was there much surface action during your stay? Its my favourite form of fishing there & I am champing at the bit for some more of it.

Just a tip ;) use the HB's on the flats & structure & use the eccoda or similar sinking lures on the walls. Unless you are working them parallel to the walls, HB's are usually well past the strikezone when they get down to working depth.
Thanks for sharing.
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: the internet
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Slayer 10x2

Postby Ads22 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:28 am

Yeah, I used 20 odd different lures I think, perhaps more over the course of the time there. I tried all sorts to get some results. I got my 3 EP's casting to the structure from the downstream side and working back reasonably slowly.

The Mulloway were all hooked more toward the middle, not near edges, as I'd imagine is typical. But, they were all on shallow divers. I think one was on a Greedy Guts 44mm shallow and the other 2 were an Atomic Shad about 50mm. Lots of large fish arches holding down deep but couldn't entice them. Tried sinking stickbaits (Kamikaze's), Squidy Pro paddle and curltails, weighted Z-Mans, soft vibes, hard vibes of various sizes and colours, ZX blades; slow retrieve, slow trolled, lift/drop, sink and burn - nada.

Surface action was only evident at night, could hear splashes everywhere. Tried some surface early morning, but as with the rest, was really tough and little action.

Would love to try the lower reaches, too! Good luck on your trip, and enjoy! Hope you bag a few more than we did. Local knowledge may just be the ticket. A few blokes in a boat picked up a few EP on the northern side of the river of a mudbank in the afternoon just downstream of Sapling Creek. I picked up two from a tree on corner just upstream from Sapling Creek on same side, and one a little downstream from snag on opposite (northern) side.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:55 am

Ads22 wrote:Yeah, I used 20 odd different lures I think, perhaps more over the course of the time there. I tried all sorts to get some results. I got my 3 EP's casting to the structure from the downstream side and working back reasonably slowly.

Dont be afraid to work that structure from different angles, coz sometimes you do have to get the lure coming out a certain way. It does sound foolish, but have put plenty of casts into a snag like that for nought before finally getting a retrieve that worked. Also chuck in a sinking plastic if the HB's draw a blank after a few fish from one snag. Sometimes they are still there but sulking a little deeper.

Ads22 wrote:The Mulloway were all hooked more toward the middle, not near edges, as I'd imagine is typical. But, they were all on shallow divers. I think one was on a Greedy Guts 44mm shallow and the other 2 were an Atomic Shad about 50mm. Lots of large fish arches holding down deep but couldn't entice them. Tried sinking stickbaits (Kamikaze's), Squidy Pro paddle and curltails, weighted Z-Mans, soft vibes, hard vibes of various sizes and colours, ZX blades; slow retrieve, slow trolled, lift/drop, sink and burn - nada.

Its intersting coz, I see some trolling around the Dry Creek area in the early morn in the middle, then I have seen the locals trolling the edges in the evening. Me??? I'm yet to get one on the troll, but then I dont really try either.

Ads22 wrote:Surface action was only evident at night, could hear splashes everywhere. Tried some surface early morning, but as with the rest, was really tough and little action.

Gotta be there before the sun is up n start casting once there is just enough light to be able to see where you are putting your lures. Have had to motor cautiously in the dark many times but the rewards are worth it. LOVE surface action.
I've heard of some doing it landbased from the landings maybe or near good structure, so maybe thats something you could try on your next expedition there.

Ads22 wrote:Would love to try the lower reaches, too! Good luck on your trip, and enjoy! Hope you bag a few more than we did. Local knowledge may just be the ticket. A few blokes in a boat picked up a few EP on the northern side of the river of a mudbank in the afternoon just downstream of Sapling Creek. I picked up two from a tree on corner just upstream from Sapling Creek on same side, and one a little downstream from snag on opposite (northern) side.

Cheers.
Been doing an annual trip there for 11 years that is now looking like turning into a twice yearly adventure. Its taken many a trip to slowly piece the puzzle together and I am far from completing it, but its getting there.
The beauty of the place is that there are landings everywhere making the whole river, pretty much, accessible to boaties n kayakers alike. We had some great surface fishing that went well into the morning in late Jan this year on the shallow flats of the estuary catching both EP's n bream.
Just remember to stay clear of the ski zones!
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: the internet
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Slayer 10x2

Postby rocketV » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:48 am

Shame that the rain was so persistent, but good to see you were rewarded for your efforts. :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Return to The 'Drive In'