Flathead action plus hints and tips - Video

Got a Video that you'd like to share with everyone else. This is the best place to post up a link to it. Great for 'YouTube' or 'Google Video' links.

Flathead action plus hints and tips - Video

Postby rocketV » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 pm

I headed out to one of my favorite local spots for a few hours on Saturday arvo hoping to tangle with some Flathead and Jewfish.
My plan was to fish a tide change just before dusk, so I took along my action camera and captured some of the action.
Some of my videos are purely for entertainment, while others I try to add some educational content to share some of my (limited) knowledge.
It was a slow start to the day and I cast my lures for 3 hours solid before finally landing a fish.
It was a PB, but not one of the target species.
Not long after the tide turned and the sun started to dip, the fishing really heated up (unlike the air temp that was rapidly falling!)
I caught in total 5 Flathead, most 50cm + with the biggest measuring 63cm.
Where was this form when I needed it for the Flathead social????
Please check out my video and subscribe if you want to see more.

Rod

Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11
rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: Flathead action plus hints and tips - Video

Postby Leper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm

I was just about to text you and see how you went on Sunday! Nice video Rod and some great flathead too, would have won you the SFC too! :wink:
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com
Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Postby Ads22 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Leper wrote:Nice video Rod and some great flathead too, would have won you the SFC too! :wink:

I thought the same! I enjoyed the vid, too. Especially the 3 or so hours without a fish. Made me feel better about many of my trips!! :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Fleetfeet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 am

Awesome video, thanks for putting it up..... I wish I could catch flatties like that
Fleetfeet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast Qld
Kayaks: Spirit Venus, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby hillbilly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am

Nice video and well explained. Well done on your fish too though I always keep a couple for the table. I wish I was as good as catching bream on soft plastics as I am with flathead. Yesterday was a magic fishing day for me, going up with the current and back home with the current, but I still couldn't manage even a tiny bream for the bream challenge. I did catch seven flathead though, the biggest at 53 cm and on 4 lb braid with a 6lb flouro leader so I really enjoyed the fight on the light rod. Regards Bill
'
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby rocketV » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Ads22 wrote:
Leper wrote:Nice video Rod and some great flathead too, would have won you the SFC too! :wink:

I thought the same! I enjoyed the vid, too. Especially the 3 or so hours without a fish. Made me feel better about many of my trips!! :lol:

Thanks fellas. It's easy to watch a fishing video or show on TV and think that it is just fish after fish with no idea of long it took or how much effort was made.

There are an awful lot of casts that don't make the final cut :roll:

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Postby rocketV » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Fleetfeet wrote:Awesome video, thanks for putting it up..... I wish I could catch flatties like that

Thanks mate.

There are plenty of good videos around that will give you some more great tips on how to do it, but in the end, it is time on the water putting that advice into action that will bring results

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Postby rocketV » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:54 pm

hillbilly wrote:Nice video and well explained. Well done on your fish too though I always keep a couple for the table. I wish I was as good as catching bream on soft plastics as I am with flathead. Yesterday was a magic fishing day for me, going up with the current and back home with the current, but I still couldn't manage even a tiny bream for the bream challenge. I did catch seven flathead though, the biggest at 53 cm and on 4 lb braid with a 6lb flouro leader so I really enjoyed the fight on the light rod. Regards Bill
'

I keep the odd flatty, but I prefer chicken, pork and beef over fish most of the time.
For me fishing is more about enjoying the challenge, experiencing the environment and escaping the stress of a busy life.
I'm not very good at catching bream on plastics, but it's not something I have put a lot of effort into either.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

Return to The 'Drive In'