Shark attacks kayak Woody Point

For inquiries please send a PM to Coordinator "Jen"

Shark attacks kayak Woody Point

Postby MrPinkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 am

Thought this might have been posted already - but doesn't look like it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 946f15a5e2

Looks like he took a big chomp off the front of that yak. I fish pretty close to here and often see really big sharks breach but they keep to themselves. I wonder what triggered this and if the guy had pedal drive or paddles?
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Re: Shark attacks kayak Woody Point

Postby MrPinkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:28 am

Also it says he was pulled out yesterday arvo. The winds were around 40km/h yesterday which is very very rough for the bay - I wonder what the heck they were doing paddling all the way to Mud Island for in those sort of winds - that is pretty dangerous on its own.
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Postby Lazybugger » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 am

If you look at the second pic the bite is well behind the rudder. Looks like a very narrow kayak ski. I'd say your looking at some cery qualified paddlers to be using that equipment in those wihd conditions ... experts looking for a challenge.

I can tell you I flew over the bay on Saturday and it was choccy milk. My bet is a bull or tiger shark having a test bite on something it couldn't sight well visually.
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby Lazybugger » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:49 am

Now hearing it was an outigger canoe that got bit
Lazybugger
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby Edstar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Looks to me like one of those ocean surf ski things. At 6.5m maybe a fenn or epic ski. I think I can see a carbon fibre rudder in the second pic. So doesn't look like a outrigger to me.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Steve R » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:57 pm

This is where media gets the Qld news that involved Police (and from similar Police media release websites in other States).
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/

As is becoming all too common, all media does is cut and paste the part they want and maybe change a few words. Here's the original story the Courier Mail copied from the Police website:
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/04/02/shark-attack-moreton-bay/
In this case it says 9 in the group and you can see more of the guys T-shirt, which gives a lead to the type of paddling the group does. My guess is the group were highly experienced surfski racers out for practice in bumpy conditions. From the Police story, the kayaker phoned 000 himself. From that, it's probably a safe guess that the group was well-equipped for emergency.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby CAV » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 pm

MrPinkie wrote:I wonder what triggered this and if the guy had pedal drive or paddles?

A mixture of Dirty water and curiosity on the sharks behalf, would have triggered it
I'd put money on that it was a bully and the bite was a test to see what the yak was and if it was edible
The shark will probably never bother biting a yak again now he knows they aren't a food source.
CAV
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Deception Bay/ Redcliffe / Bribie Island
Kayaks: Bandit 550 Fisha Profisha 525

Postby MrPinkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Steve R wrote:This is where media gets the Qld news that involved Police (and from similar Police media release websites in other States).
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/

As is becoming all too common, all media does is cut and paste the part they want and maybe change a few words. Here's the original story the Courier Mail copied from the Police website:
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/04/02/shark-attack-moreton-bay/
In this case it says 9 in the group and you can see more of the guys T-shirt, which gives a lead to the type of paddling the group does. My guess is the group were highly experienced surfski racers out for practice in bumpy conditions. From the Police story, the kayaker phoned 000 himself. From that, it's probably a safe guess that the group was well-equipped for emergency.

Wow no wonder they need 6 metre plus kayaks - not just for the conditions but their fit their kahunas in too! It was gusting over 55kmh that day in parts and their water was like a washing machine. It never dawned on me a whole group would purposefully go out in those conditions but definite respect if they did/do on purpose for the challenge.
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Postby GlassedOff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:10 am

Lazybugger wrote:Now hearing it was an outigger canoe that got bit

I also heard the same from one of the offshore kayak fishos that works with a guy that was in the group when it happened and he said they were an outrigger canoe group, also on the radio today they were saying the "kayak" was bitten in half when in actual fact it only took 100mm off the end of what looks in that photo to be the be just the outrigger, I know who I believe and it's not the media.......
GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Postby Steve R » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 am

A little more detail via ABC. There's no mention of 8 others hanging around providing assistance.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-03/sunshine-coast-kayaker-tells-shark-encounter-off-brisbane/8411798
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby mouse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 am

GlassedOff wrote:I also heard from one of the offshore kayak fishos that works with a guy that was in the group when it happened and he said they were an outrigger canoe group

If that was the case, why didn't they assist :?:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby arpie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Definitely a Brown Pants moment, that one! :beye:

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby MrPinkie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 pm

mouse wrote:
GlassedOff wrote:I also heard from one of the offshore kayak fishos that works with a guy that was in the group when it happened and he said they were an outrigger canoe group

If that was the case, why didn't they assist :?:

The media seems to have made a mess of this whole thing as always.

If there were 9 other guys with him he wouldn't have had to sit on his sinking yak for 40 mins alone. Also, why would someone going from Cleveland to Scarby which is like 40km, in winds gusting up to 60km/h in a very shallow and provocative bay which is considered one of the most dangerous waterways in Australia, and this was actually under the estimates of the winds for that day, even do it, especially after a cyclone?

He willingly embarked on a trip which reached 10km + past the shoreline, without an Epirb or flares, and only a mobile phone for safety. Sorry, the whole thing sounds like a bad idea. Plus the water that day was very dark after the cyclone as I saw it myself despite what he was quoted on in the article. The shark I bet was just a big inquisitive Bull which couldn't tell the difference in the murky water, took one bite, it tasted bad and was a bad misjudgment, and he left him alone thereafter hanging in the water.

For people I see in the comments for the various articles on this story to be suggesting shark culling - it is a joke. Leave them alone. Everyone who plays in the water around here knows they are there. I hope this doesn't cause some big culling operation because it wouldn't be fair. I see them all the time in the same area and they just do their own thing and I don't be silly and go out in rough murky conditions.
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Postby Snow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I don't know why but this sort of thing just doesn't surprise me anymore. "Shark attacks something/ someone in a body of water". I thought it might have happened on dry land :lol:
Sometimes when I blink, I can't see
Snow
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour
Kayaks: Moken 10 Lure and a Mantra Noa

Postby deegs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Well said Snow agree 100% :lol: :lol:
deegs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney northern beachs
Kayaks: hobie pa14