Go-Pro on the Quadcopter

addseo2015
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: thai

Re: Go-Pro on the Quadcopter

#16 Post by addseo2015 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm

you loose RC control or just order it to.

sym0
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Profish 400 Lite

#17 Post by sym0 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm

tonystott wrote:Jim, great gadgets aren't they! Just remember though that you musn't use it for any commercial purpose without having a UAV Operator's Certificate issued by CASA. I once investigated applying for one, and the helpful souls at CASA told me they could "walk me through the process" for around $5,000!. F**k that! So I sold my chopper and now use a 40 foot mast as well as a giant tethered kite, without needing CASA involvement.

Cheers
In about two months you won't have to, strangely CASA are removing the restriction for commercial use, trouble is if you're not licensed, you're not insured... which is the whole reason for the license process. I'm a CASA certified operator and I couldn't get a job without $20million PL, and PI insurance, plus I want to be able to replace my UAV if it gets trashed.

I have the new Phantom 3 as our multi-rotor for inspection and small scale mapping, and then we step up to several fixed wing solutions that cost over $40k each, the software for post processing is $10k on its own.

One other thing to note is the SAME restriction will still apply to the new regulations as they do now to unlicensed recreational users. That means among the other obvious restrictions that 3nm or 5.5km buffer around ALL aircraft take off and landing locations is required, not just the airport you think you know is there. When you map out all the helipads, grass strips, registered and unregistered aerodromes, restricted airspace (RAAF, Army), and populous areas - your left over flying space is nill to nada. CASA operators are allowed to fly within 3nm of non-towered aerodromes, and obtaining area approval under RAAF airspace is a cinch. Which means the skies are more open for us.

sym0
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Profish 400 Lite

#18 Post by sym0 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:06 pm

mudpat wrote:
tonystott wrote:Jim, great gadgets aren't they! Just remember though that you musn't use it for any commercial purpose without having a UAV Operator's Certificate issued by CASA. I once investigated applying for one, and the helpful souls at CASA told me they could "walk me through the process" for around $5,000!. F**k that! So I sold my chopper and now use a 40 foot mast as well as a giant tethered kite, without needing CASA involvement.

Cheers
5k is cheap, that's 3 days work for a consultant. Although UAV's have been around since war II, it is only recently that their true value has begun to be realised. CASA, like most other regulators are behind the 8 ball at the moment. I am for extremely tight controls as there is so much potential for disaster with them intereacting with humans at such close quarters. Autonomous UAVs will be with us very soon, probably a safer option.
It took me (in a company that already had established SWMS, Safety Management Plans etc) about 3 months from start to end, and CASA took about 3 months to process, so 6 months in total. Its even longer wait now as they literally only process one or two applications a day, and it also requires a field examination (flight test of the applicant). My fees were $2400 roughly, and the amount of hours put in by CASA where about that much $170/hour I think).

Our UAVs are all automatic except the Phantom 3, basically you can program a flight, drop dead and the plane will complete its mission, and return to land back where it was launched, within 5m roughly.

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”