Brands of video cameras

spanky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Townsville region
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 575

Re: Brands of video cameras

#76 Post by spanky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 am

Hmmm... started having a read of this thread while I was charging my current action cam last night (AEE Magicam SD21)... all fully charged and went to turn it on to make sure battery readings etc were all good... think it must have gotten jealous at the thought of me upgrading it and decided to die on me! :cry:
Luckily it's got 5 weeks warranty left so I'll have to get onto that tomorrow once shops etc are open again. It's been a great camera during it's time, but I lost the remote for it last month at the Adder Rock comp (was clipped to my PFD and decided to jump off sometime during the second session)... so I thought I'd turn it into my "hat cam" and get another for up front. I'm liking the look of the Eyeshot Full HD that was posted up here earlier, will have to do some further research into it. What other camera's out there have good battery life and come with a remote? The SD21 has a second clip on battery included which replaces the LCD (also removeable) and would give me about 3.5hrs continuous record time @1080p. Video quality has to be good, and preferably 1080p... but battery life is also up there for me. Any suggestions?

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#77 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 pm

If I was to buy another camera, this one (suggested by someone here) looks ok.

Veho Waterproof Action Sports Camera by Muvi
Full HD Video | Record 60m Underwater

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/product ... muvi-81098

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDceBFhpGwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWF6e8eA3A
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

#78 Post by Occy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Just following up on this. I didn't receive a response from Big W and shortly thereafter they disappeared from the shelves, so I thought it was all over. Until today when I saw a couple of them back on the shelf at my local. This time for $10 less.

So being the tragic customer service crusader I am I gave it another go. Big W were hopeless again but I did manage to get the number of the importers from them this time. They have promised to find out and get back to me.

I know I've said this before and should get a life but getting accurate product information shouldn't be this difficult. I'll let you know what the situation is if anyone bothers to get back to me. :grr:
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#79 Post by nqkayaktours » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Occy wrote:Just following up on this. I didn't receive a response from Big W and shortly thereafter they disappeared from the shelves, so I thought it was all over. Until today when I saw a couple of them back on the shelf at my local. This time for $10 less.

So being the tragic customer service crusader I am I gave it another go. Big W were hopeless again but I did manage to get the number of the importers from them this time. They have promised to find out and get back to me.

I know I've said this before and should get a life but getting accurate product information shouldn't be this difficult. I'll let you know what the situation is if anyone bothers to get back to me.
Waste your money on cheap shit and that is what you get. :grin:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#80 Post by Plakkyboat » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Occy wrote:Just following up on this. I didn't receive a response from Big W and shortly thereafter they disappeared from the shelves, so I thought it was all over. Until today when I saw a couple of them back on the shelf at my local. This time for $10 less.

I know I've said this before and should get a life but getting accurate product information shouldn't be this difficult. I'll let you know what the situation is if anyone bothers to get back to me. :grr:
Love your honesty Occy. Wish I could find the time for things like that...second thoughts...no I don't. :wink:
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#81 Post by Occy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Honest? Sometimes. Obsessed? Often. Too much time on my hands? Probably.

Ps haven't bought one I might add, and probably never will.. I already have two perfectly fine units as it is. :lol:
Cheers Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#82 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Occy wrote:Honest? Sometimes. Obsessed? Often. Too much time on my hands? Probably.

Ps haven't bought one I might add, and probably never will.. I already have two perfectly fine units as it is. :lol:
For Moi.....

Honest? Always. Only exception being my proclaimed size of 'the one that got away'. :grin:

Obsessed? Only when the outcome or rewards for being that way are worth the effort. :?:

Too much time on my hands? Only when I'm asleep....half your luck there Occy. I haven't felt that way for decades. You must be about 16 years old eh? :lol:

Back on topic, remind me again, what are your cameras?
Cheers -- Paul

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

Finally a result

#83 Post by Occy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Folks,

OK finally got an email from the distributor of the 3SIXT Wi Fi Full HD Action Camera, and they have confirmed it's waterproof to 50 metres. That's an extremely good depth rating for such a cheap camera, and whilst I have no reason to doubt what they say I can't help but feel something isn't quite right. But hey who am I to question the experts, especially one who actually took the trouble to get back to me (thanks Simon). Anyway for what it's worth here's his response:

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that you have had the run around on our camera. To answer your question. The maximum depth that the 3SIXT WiFi camera has been tested to is 50m. I certainly suggest you test the housing to the max depth you are diving before inserting the camera. This way you can be sure it is water tight. Please sure that the seal is clean and not obstructed by sand or grit or anything that might compromise the seal. Same thing GoPro asks you to do in their fine print. I hope this makes sense and I hope you enjoy your camera.

Best Regards
Simon Woodward
Product Manager
Cellnet Group Limited
e simon.woodward@cellnet.com.au http://www.cellnet.com.au

By the way I have the contour HD and a cheap little full hd action camera I bought from Kmart for a lousy $59 (http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... ic#p306672) and it's my current go to camera actually. It's small, has all the mounts, is easy to use, and takes reasonable video. I also have a Fuji waterproof something or other and a Sanyo Xacti which do a good job as well. Then there's the Pentax DSLR in a waterproof case for the really fine stuff. Thinking about it I actually have too many cameras. Or do I? I don't have one with wi-fi. :devil:
Last edited by Occy on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers Paul

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#84 Post by Occy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:54 pm

OK, being as I'm a pain in the arse I couldn't leave it at that, so once more questioned the rating, this time mentioning I'de heard the user manual says 2 metres. He came back with the response below which categorically states it's rated to 50 metres:

Hi Paul
We have 2 Camera's in our range
The HD model is rated to 3m
The Full HD WiFi version is 50m
Best Regards
Simon
Simon Woodward
Product Manager
Cellnet Group Limited

Well that's the end of that argument I suppose.
Cheers Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#85 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey Paul (Occy) here's a camera for you to depth test.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... 8-05_10-42
Cheers -- Paul

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#86 Post by Occy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Yeh saw it in the catalogue yesterday and my immediate thought was it's a pity it's only 720P. It's obviously just another of those cheapie 720 P cameras every man and his dog seems to be flogging for around $50 at the moment, but obviously from the video in the advert it's a fairly good performer.
Cheers Paul

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

#87 Post by tonystott » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:18 pm

I reckon there definitely is a market for a $50 camera, even if it only does 720p (see screen grab below) IF it comes with a remote...
Clipboard02s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club

#88 Post by Occy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Yeh Tony your video from that little cheapie is pretty good from whet I've seen.
Cheers Paul

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”