Brands of video cameras

Message
Author
User avatar
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"
Location: Forster, NSW

Re: Brands of video cameras

#31 Post by tonystott » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Sorry, but my internet bandwidth is not unlimited and the next smallest clip I have is 90+Mb. As the only purpose of uploading the clip was to show you the quality of the video available, I think it did that job, which is quite acceptable for a $50 camera.

My normal clips are a couple of Gbs befoe the battery on my cheap camera goes flat. I also have set up a mini voltage regulator plus 12v LiPo battery so I can recharge the battery twice without needing access to 240v.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

User avatar
RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Posts: 2557
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 am
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

Re: Brands of video cameras

#32 Post by RUG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am

Talking about video size does anyone use any type of video compression program(if one exists) before uploading to YouTube etc?
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."
Image
Image

User avatar
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:47 pm
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Re: Brands of video cameras

#33 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:52 am

RUG wrote:Talking about video size does anyone use any type of video compression program(if one exists) before uploading to YouTube etc?
Not sure if this will do the job you require but to my knowledge Microsoft Movie Maker (free) allows you to edit and save your movie files at different compression ratios for different formats including YouTube standard. Try saving in different formats and check the file size to see the variations. Hope that helps you RUG.
Last edited by Plakkyboat on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

User avatar
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:47 pm
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Re: Brands of video cameras

#34 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:09 am

tonystott wrote:Sorry, but my internet bandwidth is not unlimited and the next smallest clip I have is 90+Mb. As the only purpose of uploading the clip was to show you the quality of the video available, I think it did that job, which is quite acceptable for a $50 camera.

My normal clips are a couple of Gbs befoe the battery on my cheap camera goes flat. I also have set up a mini voltage regulator plus 12v LiPo battery so I can recharge the battery twice without needing access to 240v.
Sorry to hear about your bandwidth limitations Tony. I don't have unlimited data either but I understand your point about the file size situation in regards to displaying the best quality online. The short video clip (much appreciated) did provide some evidence of quality but I was just getting to enjoy it and suddenly it stopped. :?:

How long do you get from full charge to flat battery?

Some pics and more details about you method to recharge your battery on the water would be greatly appreciated, e.g. how long does it take to recharge on the water, what are the specs of the LiPo battery and the mini voltage regulator, how have you bundled it together in you yak, etc.

I'm buying the Big W waterproof action camera today for $98.

I would have bought the one you own but with a remote added for to the camera for that price at a local shop, I decided it was a bargain worth checking out.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

bingunna
KFDU Angler
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm
Local Fishing Region: Fraser Coast QLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Re: Brands of video cameras

#35 Post by bingunna » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Plakkyboat wrote: I'm buying the Big W waterproof action camera today for $98.

I would have bought the one you own but with a remote added for to the camera for that price at a local shop, I decided it was a bargain worth checking out.
You should have read all the posts techmoan did a review on the BigW camera and it's a piece of crap save your money or you will be disappointed.

User avatar
RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Posts: 2557
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 am
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

Re: Brands of video cameras

#36 Post by RUG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Cheers Paul thanks.

bingunna wrote:
Plakkyboat wrote:
SHORT being the operative word Tony :lol:
Nothing longer eh?
Yeah Battery life on these cheapys have a bit to be desired :lol:
Just checked the footage I shot for the Pirtek and found on two occasions I'd mistakenly left the Camera(K-Mart Audiosonic 1080 Action Cam) running for an extended period and found I'd recorded, in total, about 1hr 15mins of footage. Upon checking the battery icon on the Cam it still showed approx 50% life left. So if I can get 2hrs+ of recording from future trips I reckon for the $59 spent it's a definite bargain.

And overall the footage is pretty decent for a cheap Cam..........made extra good because I managed to cut most of my noggin off in all the clips I got. :wink:

http://youtu.be/aAfPI-461tc
Last edited by RUG on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."
Image
Image

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing
Location: Pt Augusta

Re: Brands of video cameras

#37 Post by Pete49 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Occy wrote:Just got the latest Big W catalogue which lists their own brand 3SIXt FHD action camera with 1080P@30fps, Wi-Fi, remote, 50 metre housing (surely that can't be right) and two mounts, all for a lousy $98.
With so many cutting edge features in a sub $100 action camera if Go Pro aren't nervous they should be.
Well I did the normal (read rash) thing and went down this morning and got one. :idiot: Once charged up I'll give it a run and report back but looks like it will work well. The case is waterproof to 2m not 50m but hey I don't dive much :lol:

User avatar
Gareth6210
KFDU Angler
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin XL
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brands of video cameras

#38 Post by Gareth6210 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Plakkyboat wrote:
RUG wrote:Talking about video size does anyone use any type of video compression program(if one exists) before uploading to YouTube etc?
Not sure if this will do the job you require but to my knowledge Microsoft Movie Maker (free) allows you to edit and save your movie files at different compression ratios for different formats including YouTube standard. Try saving in different formats and check the file size to see the variations. Hope that helps you RUG.
RUG wrote:Talking about video size does anyone use any type of video compression program(if one exists) before uploading to YouTube etc?
Windows movie maker is a great little editor, and as stated has different compression ratios, however, i think all ratios are saved in .wmv format, making it unavailable to be used on a lot of phones if im not mistaken. I use photoshop CS6 for all resizing and format changing(to .mp4), but there is a program called "Any Video Converter" which is free too, and has everything one needs. Think you can download in from Cnet.
Tight lines,
Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/GarethEadiePhotography?ref=hl
Ytube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyy9mI ... VCDhcUkPYA
Instagram: gareth6210

PB's!!
Bass:45cm (wild) Bull Shark:1.34m Whiting:36cm
Bream:36cm Mangrove Jack:60cm Murray Cod:52cm
Flathead:67cm Snapper:73cm Mulloway:60cm
Est Cod:58cm Mullet:65cm
Tilapia:40cm Grunter:68cm

User avatar
RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Posts: 2557
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 am
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

Re: Brands of video cameras

#39 Post by RUG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

RUG wrote:Cheers Paul thanks.

bingunna wrote:
Plakkyboat wrote:
SHORT being the operative word Tony :lol:
Nothing longer eh?
Yeah Battery life on these cheapys have a bit to be desired :lol:
Just checked the footage I shot for the Pirtek and found on two occasions I'd mistakenly left the Camera(K-Mart Audiosonic 1080 Action Cam) running for an extended period and found I'd recorded, in total, about 1hr 15mins of footage. Upon checking the battery icon on the Cam it still showed approx 50% life left. So if I can get 2hrs+ of recording from future trips I reckon for the $59 spent it's a definite bargain.

And overall the footage is pretty decent for a cheap Cam..........made extra good because I managed to cut most of my noggin off in all the clips I got. :wink:

http://youtu.be/aAfPI-461tc
Thanks Garath.

Now why does my YouTube link show up as a link and not like a YouTube screen shot?
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."
Image
Image

User avatar
swabio
KFDU Angler
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am
Local Fishing Region: Canberra / NSW South Coast.....and the local lakes!
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler old school PA14

Re: Brands of video cameras

#40 Post by swabio » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

1-day sale are having a bit of a gopro sale at the moment..... $419 for the GP3+ BE.... i still reckon the sony is a better bet though ;)

http://www.1-day.com.au/onsale/gopro0304/p/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Image

User avatar
Gareth6210
KFDU Angler
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin XL
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brands of video cameras

#41 Post by Gareth6210 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 pm

RUG wrote:Thanks Garath.

Now why does my YouTube link show up as a link and not like a YouTube screen shot?
When you type a post, you will see a button that says "youtube" above the type box thing. Click that and paste your link between the youtube words> [youtube]Paste link here[/youtube], and use the full URL and not the short one.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAfPI-461tc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube], remove what I have made blue and it will work. Hope that helps :grin:


Tight lines,
Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/GarethEadiePhotography?ref=hl
Ytube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyy9mI ... VCDhcUkPYA
Instagram: gareth6210

PB's!!
Bass:45cm (wild) Bull Shark:1.34m Whiting:36cm
Bream:36cm Mangrove Jack:60cm Murray Cod:52cm
Flathead:67cm Snapper:73cm Mulloway:60cm
Est Cod:58cm Mullet:65cm
Tilapia:40cm Grunter:68cm

User avatar
RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Posts: 2557
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 am
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

Re: Brands of video cameras

#42 Post by RUG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks mate. The blue highlight really helps. I'm sure it'll help others as well.
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."
Image
Image

User avatar
Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso
Location: Sydney - Lower North Shore

Re: Brands of video cameras

#43 Post by Occy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Pete49 wrote:The case is waterproof to 2m not 50m but hey I don't dive much :lol:
I thought 50 metres sounded strange at the time Pete, but my doubts were laid to rest when I clearly saw it in print, both in the catalogue and on the box. If you could confirm where you saw the reference to 2 metres (possibly in the user manual?) I would appreciate it mate, because it would be tantamount to false advertising. As the old saying goes "there is profit in chaos", so it could prove quite lucrative if one was to buy one then sue for compensation. :?:
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

User avatar
swabio
KFDU Angler
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am
Local Fishing Region: Canberra / NSW South Coast.....and the local lakes!
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler old school PA14

Re: Brands of video cameras

#44 Post by swabio » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Image

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing
Location: Pt Augusta

Re: Brands of video cameras

#45 Post by Pete49 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 am

Occy, page 19 of the user manual DEFINATLY says 2M. To my understanding that is 2metres not miles :grin: so someone is having a lend.

Post Reply

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”