Hds 7 touch

scaffdogg
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold coast

Hds 7 touch

#1 Post by scaffdogg » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:02 am

Hey guys just wondering if anyone's put there lss2 mounted inside the hull I'm just checking my options as to mounting the structure scan transducer I have the ram mount arm but would like to mount internally any pics or info would be greatly appreciated cheers

Jarryda
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: QLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Viking Espri, Viking Ozzie

Re: Hds 7 touch

#2 Post by Jarryda » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:26 pm

I have done it before. It does work when installed correctly, (No bubbles at all in the glue). I now have mine mounted externally as i found as the glue got older it started to form bubbles and stopped working well, that could be due to me loading my kayak upside down on the roof of the truck and getting direct sunlight and heat. Selleys All clear or Marine Goop are the best glues to use. Just use the same technique as a standard shoot thru hull transducer install, Make a reservoir, pour warmed glue in, place transducer in etc, just remember you will need ALOT of glue :lol:
ImageImage

o0Ben0o
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere within a few hours of Penrith
Kayaks: 2015 PA 14

#3 Post by o0Ben0o » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Mine is gooped in to the front of the PA14... Seems to do the job.

Hope the pics not too big.

BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Esky Lid

#4 Post by BrettoQld » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Jarryda wrote:I have done it before. It does work when installed correctly, (No bubbles at all in the glue). I now have mine mounted externally as i found as the glue got older it started to form bubbles and stopped working well, that could be due to me loading my kayak upside down on the roof of the truck and getting direct sunlight and heat. Selleys All clear or Marine Goop are the best glues to use. Just use the same technique as a standard shoot thru hull transducer install, Make a reservoir, pour warmed glue in, place transducer in etc, just remember you will need ALOT of glue :lol:
Hey Jarryd

Any chance you could post a photo of how your Structure Scan transducer is mounted externally? I still haven't installed mine. Looking for some ideas for external mounts on Outbacks.
Cheers,
Bretto

Jarryda
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Jarryda » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:07 pm

BrettoQld wrote:
Jarryda wrote:I have done it before. It does work when installed correctly, (No bubbles at all in the glue). I now have mine mounted externally as i found as the glue got older it started to form bubbles and stopped working well, that could be due to me loading my kayak upside down on the roof of the truck and getting direct sunlight and heat. Selleys All clear or Marine Goop are the best glues to use. Just use the same technique as a standard shoot thru hull transducer install, Make a reservoir, pour warmed glue in, place transducer in etc, just remember you will need ALOT of glue :lol:
Hey Jarryd

Any chance you could post a photo of how your Structure Scan transducer is mounted externally? I still haven't installed mine. Looking for some ideas for external mounts on Outbacks.
Hey Mate,
I used the LSS specific RAM arm, Mounted it just behind the seat so i can easily access it while on the water, The picture makes it look super low but its not as low as the rudder whils't in the water so dont need to worry too much about it hitting in shallow water unless the rudder is hitting bottom. Works a treat.
20150514_191213.jpg
20150514_191234.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club

#6 Post by BrettoQld » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Jarryda wrote: Hey Mate,
I used the LSS specific RAM arm, Mounted it just behind the seat so i can easily access it while on the water, The picture makes it look super low but its not as low as the rudder whils't in the water so dont need to worry too much about it hitting in shallow water unless the rudder is hitting bottom. Works a treat.
Cheers Jarryd.

Do you notice the drag through the water?
Cheers,
Bretto

Jarryda
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Jarryda » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:02 pm

I dont notice in terms of adding drag meaning i have to work harder. But it does make noise when underway.
ImageImage

BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club

#8 Post by BrettoQld » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:52 am

Cheers for that mate. That's pretty much made up my mind for me. I'd been mulling over installing the LSS inside the hull for the last 5 weeks, but I wasn't convinced it would work long term. It seems my concerns were the same problems you experienced.
Cheers,
Bretto

scaffdogg
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold coast

#9 Post by scaffdogg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Is it true that you need to mount the lss2 close to the other transducer so you don't get different readings ?

Jarryda
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Jarryda » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:12 pm

scaffdogg wrote:Is it true that you need to mount the lss2 close to the other transducer so you don't get different readings ?
Yes and no, Ideally you would have them directly beside each other so that the image line up. For eg if you go over a tree they both come up at the same time on Sonar and on Downscan. But its not a must, My sonar transducer is mounted about 800mm in front of where the LSS is. Its just something you need to keep in mind when comparing readings.
ImageImage

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”