"Improved" Railblaza Camera Boom

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

"Improved" Railblaza Camera Boom

#1 Post by pdfarrell » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:52 am

Did a minor mod to one of my camera booms the other day, so thought I'd share it.

I have a couple of Railblaza Camera Boom 600 Pro Series, and really like them.
The only thing I don't like about them is the first joint. To adjust the angle, you need loosen the knob, move the boom to where you want it then retighten.
It might not seem too hard, but it annoys the hell out of me.

I normally have the boom laying down out of the way, running parallel to the rail on the PA, and to adjust the angle with a fish on is next to impossible.

All the other joints on the boom are friction joints, and can be adjusted one handed. It got me thinking "Why not the first joint?"

I noticed that the only difference between the joints was a plastic washer/bush in between the 'halves' of the joint.
I use the Railblaza Camera Mount Kits instead of the platforms that come with the booms, so I robbed a washer from the joint in one of those.

I bunged the washer into the first joint and hey presto, instant friction joint.
I replaced the knob with a washer and a nylock nut, as the knob would work loose after a few 'adjustments'.

Will try and get some video tomorrow showing how quickly I can now go from stowed position to filming from a nice angle.
I used it successfully to get a quick selfie of a nice flatty I caught last weekend. http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48598
Knob.jpg
New Friction Joint.jpg
Platform.jpg
Camera Mount End.jpg
Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Re: "Improved" Railblaza Camera Boom

#2 Post by simons rat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:58 pm

bloody brilliant!

:lek: :lek: :lek:

That is the only thing that annoys me about the boom. Looks like it has been solved.

Legend.

Thanks for sharing,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler ... 258444623/

drluvski
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400

#3 Post by drluvski » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm

What a great Idea...
I'm trying to do the modification as well. Just one question. How did you remove that washer from the camera platform?
Any tips appreciated. I can't get it to budge.
Cheers
Flathead 80cm, Whiting 40cm (surface) , Bream 36cm, GT 38cm

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#4 Post by pdfarrell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:06 pm

From memory I had to jam a large screw driver in next to the nyloc nut to stop it from spinning.
Was a bit of a P.I.T.A, but got it done..

Cheers,
PF

Member of

drluvski
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by drluvski » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Have you found it all works well and copes with the weight of the camera OK

WAGrunter
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: AAAAH- OWEE (Cockburn Sound )
Kayaks: Hobie outback-LE pew. Seabird fisherman 12 .. Both rigged for sailing

#6 Post by WAGrunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Speaking of improved Railblazer - has anybody else broken the little pin on the locking tab , on there Starport ? Well I've broken 3 now so had a rummage and found a heap of 316 stainless links that were laser cut as a mistake at work . So any way they fit the purpose perfectly .Image. This would work with any material though . 13 mm wide , 5mm thick and around 60 mm long . The orange dot is the front side of the 3mm hole that I drilled and just forced a small SS screw into act as new detent . Anyone could do this using chopping board , for example .Image. Much better :wink:

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#7 Post by pdfarrell » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:43 pm

drluvski wrote:Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Have you found it all works well and copes with the weight of the camera OK
Yeah, no problem with the weight of the camera, I use a Garmin VIRB XE...
You do need to apply a bit of torque to the nut and bolt though.

Cheers,
PF

Member of

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#8 Post by Ads22 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I had a play with the 150 boom yesterday. Couldn't get the screwdriver to hold, so ended up using a cheap soldering iron (the blade type that is great for cutting poly rope) to give a wide enough space for a socket to fit. That worked a treat, however, it took a little screwdriver to the thumb webbing and a minor curse episode to decide on the heat! :?:

Looks like it'll work well, and now if I get a 600, will be able to switch over easily!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

drluvski
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by drluvski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:06 am

Nearly got mine sorted. Like adds22 I resorted to melting the plastic to get to the nut and also managed to put
a lovely gash into my finger with a screwdriver. I think the pain will be worth it in the end :grin:

I didn't use the plastic washer but took out the 2 plastic "serrated" washers that form the friction joint for the camera stand.

Just got to get a washer and nylock nut now and it should be sorted. I'll put some pics up when its done. (and hopefully working)

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#10 Post by Ads22 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:54 am

Mine was perhaps a little different in that the Boom 150 has a separate mid-piece. Essentially what I did was swap the boom platform with the female component at the bottom of the boom 150. The boom 150 had a friction joint, with two serrated washers, below the platform and a knob and serrated multi-position joint at the bottom. The camera mounting kit came with a friction joint already.
20161209_071027_S.jpg
To access the nyloc nut that held the female socket/cup to the bottom attachment containing the knobbed joint, I had to use heat around the nut.
20161209_071135_S.jpg
To access the bolt that held the platform to the friction joint, I had to separate the friction joint first, using heat to access the nut on the side of the joint.
20161209_070842_S.jpg
Once I had access to both bolts it was a simple case of swapping female socket with boom platform. Both components retained their original bolt/nut setup on their new base, however, on the female socket, I inverted the bolt for easier attachment as I wouldn't have had access to the nut to tighten adequately (e.g. the nut sits inside the cup). This doesn't affect insertion of a male star into the socket.
20161209_071633_S.jpg
20161209_070540_S.jpg
20161209_071252_S.jpg
If I want to make it longer, it would probably work easily with an extenda pole or visibility kit pole from what I can see, just using whichever length I choose to replace or extend the mid-piece.

This is a short arm, but allows the camera to sit higher than the sounder on the Reload's tackle pod, or out sideways from tackle pod for a different view; or can be used on the Fish Bandit in a few different places, and will be more stable than the arm that I currently use on it (less internal flex/twist).

The platform probably won't be used for much (or anything), but I was already not using it anyway, so as for PF, stealing the joint seemed more useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

drluvski
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by drluvski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Mine is pretty similar to pdfarrells.
I've just used the serrated washers (taken out of the camera platform which I also didn't plan on using) instead of the flat washers
This is the final joint and the base and it works perfectly. A great idea. Thanks guys.
P1040324.JPG
P1040321.JPG

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”