Photos on KFDU Please use our Server

Photos on KFDU Please use our Server

Postby Buj » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Just want to clear a few issues...

It is much preferred for all members to upload their photos via the KFDU 'Attachment' option when posting.

Even though third party sites (i.e. photobucket, imageshack, etc) provide easy photo hosting services the fact is that these sites may 'lose' your photos due to either server downtime or user limits.

For example - if your using 'photobucket' and you have a 50Mb limit, once you post additional photos, beyond that limit, it may delete older photos. Therefore this can leave 'image can not be displayed' error messages on the KFDU forum (which are now evident in a lot of 2006, 2007, 2008 posts).

When using the KFDU 'Attachment' option - images have to be a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels (resolution) and no more than 250kb. There are many free programs, on the web, that will easily convert your original photos to within these limits. I use 'Microsoft Office Picture Manager' to resize my photos. It has very simple procedures for re-sizing photos and is part of the 'Microsoft Office' suite. Otherwise their are free programs such as 'Infranview' which will do this for you (hopefully a few members will post up valid links to similar programs).

At least with photos, uploaded via the KFDU 'Attachment' option, your photos will be permanently attached to the KFDU forum. They will never be deleted...even if it involves having to upgrade the web host service to a higher usage plan.

If any member has dramas re-sizing photos then they can also email me their photos buj@kfdu.com.au (use the subject title 'KFDU Photo Attachments') and I'll send them back, re-sized, so that they can be attached to the forum.
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast NSW
Kayaks: OK Prowler 4.5 Elite, Malibu Mini X

Re: Photos on KFDU Please use our Server

Postby OutbackYak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm

For Windows XP users there is a handy powertool that resizes images for you. Works a charm and is really easy to use. :ha:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx
Mic
Member of
Hobie Outback

“Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks”
OutbackYak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lismore

Postby Biggles » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 am

Bump
Biggles
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby bigjase » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:02 pm

And heres one I posted the other day.

Paint.net - its free and it has other tools like phtoshop.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Cheers,

Jason
The BigFella

Hobie Pro Angler - Hobie Revolution

Member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's
bigjase
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast

Postby dishley » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Ahh i like imageshack, that way when i get cranky and decide to quit i can delete my pics. And we all know that's pretty likely :smi:
Sorry mods, not what you want to hear... but seeing as you can't delete your own posts or even delete your own account this is the last bit of personal freedom. I don't think the site should own a pic just because it's posted.
The option is always there for the site to sell our photo's to magazines ect once they're uploaded to the server and although you're all exceptionally responsible people (specially saltydude) business tends to get in the way of ethics
Not very agreeable am i
dishley

Postby OutbackYak » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I like Gimp again open source! Has all the tools ect that photo shop does but doesn't cost you anything.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

this is the Windows version works on just about anything!

There are more image converters or resizes that are open source as well. Most software can be found by putting what you need with open source at the end of it in a google search.

Heres the Image Resizer that was developed for Win Xp but will also work on other operating systems.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/

The open source movement has got me by for the last 5 years without spending anything on software.
Mic
Member of
Hobie Outback

“Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks”
OutbackYak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lismore

Postby T.J » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:08 am

dishley wrote:Ahh i like imageshack, that way when i get cranky and decide to quit i can delete my pics. And we all know that's pretty likely :smi:
Sorry mods, not what you want to hear... but seeing as you can't delete your own posts or even delete your own account this is the last bit of personal freedom. I don't think the site should own a pic just because it's posted.
The option is always there for the site to sell our photo's to magazines ect once they're uploaded to the server and although you're all exceptionally responsible people (specially saltydude) business tends to get in the way of ethics
Not very agreeable am i

Dish,
I think you may have misinterpreted this topic.
You can delete pics loaded directly to the server as you do with posts if you so choose. The use of outside hosts will leave the door wide open for lurkers and [bots] to pinch your pics as they are not locked.So it was requested that members load their photos up directly so the history that we are writing today remains intact when future generations view this old rusty forum and our kids and gran kids get to see what us old farts did in our glory days.
And more importantly Free Stuf... to enter the photo of the month competition."All photo's entered are to be placed/uploaded via the KFDU attachment option." :cool2:
Regards,
T.J
T.J
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Botany Bay and Surrounds
Kayaks: A plastic one

Postby Bretly » Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks, was having trouble with the photos. Have just joined KFDU.
I fish Pittwater and have been getting loads of fish lately. Cheers
Cheers

Bretly
Kayak PB's - Bream 46cm - Flathead 110cm - Tailor 65cm - King 85cm - Flounder 33cm - Whiting 30cm - Trevally 43cm - Frigate Mackeral 35cm - Snapper 44cm - Aust Salmon 67cm - Bonito 47cm - John Dory 45cm - Cobia 55cm -Jew 72cm
Bretly
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Pittwater NSW
Kayaks: OK Prowler Elite 4.5

Return to Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak