Palm Beach Surf Launching

For general inquiries please PM Fleetfeet

Palm Beach Surf Launching

Postby Michal Duzynski » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:39 am

Hi
Just wondering if there is somebody who has time on Tuesdays( around 10.30-14.00), and who can walk me through a kayak surf launching?
I have Jackson Cuda 14, and I would like to practice.
No fishing gear, no electronics, just my bumb in the seat and learning/practicing.
Let me know if there is anybody and we'll discus the rest from there.
Cheers
Michael
Michal Duzynski
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Palm Beach Surf Launching

Postby Snapperpaddy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Check out the many utube clips re palmy fishing excursions, basically observe the sets and bide your time, keep square to the wave, when catching waves back in- again observe the sets, keep square to the wave, I reckon lean back can be a good tip if you are on a plastic, if you start going right to the wave lean into it with your paddle out, usually you can just bubble your way back to the beach. Now the Gold Coast beaches are a different beast. If you don't have a stealth than your gear preservation needs careful thought otherwise your bank account will cop a bashing. Hope this is some food for thought
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days
Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

Postby Seeker » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Cant do the weekdays but many of us head out during the weekend... its a bit quiet fush wise atm... and following a comp at noosa... but im sure there are people heading out this weekend.
Seeker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Postby Michal Duzynski » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Cheers for that.
A part of hiding your rods, how do you deal with fishfinders/ sounders? Mainly asking about the battery inside the hull, how do you secure it?
Mike
Michal Duzynski
KFDU Angler

Postby Seeker » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 pm

with drones becoming more popular and available we are starting to see ( refer Godzilla Kayak Fishing youtube) video of the whole picture of launching and hopefully returning.... palmy is hard being so close to the airport (restrictions on flying after certain times.... and HUGE fines if caught)
I hope that as drone footage grows that beginners can see the bigger picture online and take that awareness to the water.
I noticed when i was getting into surf launches that youtube showed it was all glory shots.... success on the out and victory on the in...... or spectacular wipeouts :D
but when starting unless you have a surf background, ya sorta fukked .... new sport...new kayak... no idea :S
This is a hard sport... hard on equipment,yaks,body and spirit... but accept the help you can and the fact your arse is going to be handed to you on a sandy platter :D
d runkin ramblins here.... shouting out is good... Try joining the palm beach yak fishing crew on the
(off your)fACEbooK...... always guys heading out... always someone to help
Seeker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Postby Edstar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:29 pm

I went out a few time last wk and probably headed back down on Friday and Saturday. If ur not carrying gear u have nothing to lose besides ur ego. :lol: don't forget ur hat and sunnies if ur wearing them. jump in pick a small wave and paddle hard till ur thru the white wash area.

Last wk if ur launching at the surf club. Looking at the beach. Just on the right hand side about 10m right was smaller surf than right out the front. If launching from 9th on ur left hand side about 15m was the small surf. But things change and don't be shy and ask the old guys just watching the surf.

Returning, look where u came from I've beached my yak a 1km from my car park before coz it all looks the same when coming home. So I'm no pro going out I've been pretty good get home I swim a lot. I can't read the back of the waves so I just hope for the best. Avoid the flags. Avoid the surfer they're looking for the big waves ur not. Ideally launch and beach at the same spot but it not always possible. I like to have a quick rest before heading in. Paddle hard behind a wave and hope that u make it thru the break zone before the next wave hits u in the arse. Lean away from the beach. And hang on. Surf in sideway if u have to and jump off before u hit the sand.

Edstar
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Michal Duzynski » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Bloody hell, looks like I set my bar to high to start.
I will stick to calmer water for now and keep reading and watching.
Cheers for the comments
Mike
Michal Duzynski
KFDU Angler

Postby Jamie D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Edstar wrote:Avoid the surfer

Good advice right there . Being a tourist area some of the surfers don't speak English either , last year I nailed this Japanese surfer bigtime man , I was screaming f ing watch out but of course he could not speak English . He had to go up to the surf tower for medical treatment the other guys at 9 th thought it was highly funny . The jap surfer didn't he was screaming and crying out in jap . Was messed up
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Return to Gold Coast / Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club