Heroes on the Water Australia / Bribie Island 9th March

Heroes On The Water - Australia, supporting our returned Serviceman and Women. For information on how you can become involved, please PM Yak-Gear (Andrew)
pat_o
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, all things native and snowy mountains trout
Kayaks: NWC Ultimate 12 / NWC Slayer 13 / Malibu X-13

Heroes on the Water Australia / Bribie Island 9th March

#1 Post by pat_o » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

We are calling on kayakers in the area to come out to Bribie Island to assist us with putting our veterans on the water on Sunday morning. We are planning on being on the water between 0830 - 1130, basically we after assistance with Kayaks, some basic fishing gear and some people just to be there to lend a hand, cook a sausage, and throw in line.

If you are interested in helping out with your time or some gear please contact Graeme via email graeme.fletcher@howaus.org or give him a call on 0413 556 228

Looking forward to seeing you there.
Pat 0402 167 265
p.oneill@aerocare.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/heroesonthewateraustralia
"Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: Heroes on the Water Australia / Bribie Island 9th March

#2 Post by Biggles » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi Pat,

This now appears on both the Coordinated Trips Section AND HOTW Section :cool:

Also, a PM has been sent to every Brissy Club member.

Al

yak-gear
HOTW Australia
Local Fishing Region: ppb - Williamstown, vic
Kayaks: wavedance kingfisher, aquayak snapper

#3 Post by yak-gear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:51 am

Thanks Al kfdu support is awesome.

A big hand is needed from suppliers ..

We need 10 rods and reels - light gear
Plastics
Small boxes
And ofcourse kayaks for the day...

Type of volunteer work needed is instruction, launch assistance and cook any assistance would be great...

yak-gear
HOTW Australia

#4 Post by yak-gear » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Thank you to Daiwa for their support who have given HowAus rods, reels, braid and other gear that our vets at Bribie Island will be using.
daiwa-white.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pat_o
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by pat_o » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:41 pm

I want to extend a Big thanks to all those who have volunteered their time for this our first event, looking forward to seeing you in the morning for a great day.

The weather is looking like it will hold and the yaks and fishing gear are all loaded ready to go. Big thanks to Daiwa, Rosco Canoes and Viking kayaks who without their help tomorrow this wouldn't have happened.
Rosco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat 0402 167 265
p.oneill@aerocare.com.au
"Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#6 Post by arpie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

All the best, guys - I hope your gathering tomorrow is a huge success, with plenty of fish caught by the Vets.

Many thanks to Daiwa for coming to the party with rods, reels and braid & Rosco & Viking for the use of their kayaks - that is just fantastic of them all to help out & I reckon we'll have a few more yak fishos 'addicted' to the sport from tomorrow on!

Have fun & tight lines
cheerio
Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

pat_o
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by pat_o » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 pm

No need for an alarm clock today, the torrential rain came knocking just after 0430 and the hopes of the day were riding on mother natures good mood. Graeme was soon up and down to to the servo to get the ice. We had picked up all the kayaks yesterday and due to the fantastic job Greame had done over the last few weeks all that remained to do this morning was coffee up and try and remember all the things we had forgotten before heading off.

A few coffee’s later and Greame’s brother arrived and with both the trailer’s filled with kayaks and canoes from Rosco’s hooked up we were on the highway heading up the coast. Mother nature had decided that she would cool everything down for us and would provide a good cloud cover for us for the morning. My excitement was running at all time high as just over 12 months ago I had volunteered to butter the bread and today i was finally going to get the opportunity. We arrived at Bribrie Island and within seconds I realised that Greame had truly done his homework scouted the perfect location. Soon after starting to setup our friends from Viking Kayak’s arrived and brought a selection of kayaks for us to use on the day. Tyson from Mate 4 Mates was the next to arrive and Raymond from KFDU arrived soon after and helped with the set-up. With all marques setup it was time to take 5 and Raymond hit the water ready for the vets for when they arrived.

About 3 minutes into that take 5 our first vet turned up, a quick chat about experience on the water and we had her a kayak selected. I ran through the safety brief, (big thanks to Rohan Klopfer from East Coast Kayaking in Sandringham for the time he spent showing me this brief). Next the brief on fishing and we had her on the water were Raymond was out there waiting - while having a fish :o) . The next to arrive was from south Brisbane and he was keen to get on the water, while chatting I discovered he was originally from Vic and had only recently discovered the joy of fishing for Murray Cod, 20 minutes later and we were still taking about the Murray, Ovens and the Loddon rivers, all this talk of fishing was making for a great day but we had him on the water baited up ready for that magic fish. Not long after 3 guys from up north arrived (about 3 hours north) and after the safety briefs we had them all out on the water. Mid morning saw a couple arrive with two labs in tow, as both advised they had canoeing experience we had a large Canadian Chief and we suggested that if they wanted they could try with the labs. As they were an adventurous couple they tried it on, both of the dogs gladly jumped in the canoe but one decided he was not into this and was out before they started. In all we had 7 vets on the water and as the day progressed it was looking like they were never going to come back in.

Coming up to lunchtime Greame and the safety punt had to hit the water to round the team up, Tyson had BBQ in full swing and before we knew it everyone was sitting around talking about the time they had on the water, freshly cooked meat was the only thing that quietened the banter about the mornings paddling. It was plain to see that the team where planing on going back out as some had not even removed their life vests, so with a quick feed and drinks, a new round of sunscreen the entire team headed back out, minus the dogs:o)

The next few hours flew by. We took the the time to present Viking Kayaks and Mate4Mates a certificate of appreciation as this is what it is all about, people selflessly giving their time and assets to help our returned vets. Around 1430 mother nature decided for us it was time to pack up, the wind and rain returned but it did nothing to dampen the spirits of the team on the water, luckily the rain didn’t last long.

Big thanks to Daiwa as along with the rods they had provided a range of t-shirts and the team were very thankful to have a clean dry shirt to put on, we also received caps from both Daiwa and from Fishing TV who came and in filmed a short segment of the day ( Will let you know when it comes online) which were also distributed to the team. Everyone helped pack the gear up and it was time for goodbyes, I was pleased it wasn’t quick as many had more stories of the day to tell and questions about when is the next event and where can I get one of these kayaks. I gave them the warning that once you start kayak fishing you may never stop and pointed to Greame’s kitted out kayak and laughed when I told them it is missing 80% of what he normally has but it didn’t seem to deter any:o)

The magic question - did they catch fish? some did and some didn’t, the fish of the day went to Lauren with a good sized whiting, the team caught flathead, bream, flounder and a mystery fish, all were released to live another day.

To see the transformation from the quiet team that arrived to the guys and gals that left at the end of that day is something I am not able to express with words, the closest thing that comes to mind is that it made my heart smile.

Set up ready to go

Raymond getting out there ready for the vets

Everything starts with fitting the seats correctly and the safety brief - paddling instructions and the all important re-entry techniques

This is simply what its all about, putting our vets on the water kayak fishing

Fancy asking a Victorian where the fish are - somewhere over there :o)

The team at Viking leaden a hand

Hey Dad - wait for me

Time to round up the troops

Half time feed

The smiles say it all

In the end it doesn’t happen with volunteers, thankyou.

Pat 0402 167 265
p.oneill@aerocare.com.au

Jen
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there are fish
Kayaks: Hobie Revo ll "Calamity Jen ll"

#8 Post by Jen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:55 pm

So glad the day went well. I am sooo sorry I was not able to be there to hinder you all. :lol: can't wait to get on board with the next event but I will be doing my part to help out HOW (Hero's on the water)by fundraising chocolates at work. With over 100 chocolate craving doctors and nurses I should be putting coin in the koffers soon ( just have to get back to work first). Also like to add that the fund raising will also continue at both Brisbane and Gold Coast/northern rivers outings so have your gold coins ready. Also any monies I get from sausage sizzles at outings will be going to HOW.
Cheers
Jen

Abren
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Nemo 2+1

#9 Post by Abren » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi Guys, Raymond here.

Thanks for a great day out on the water and the chance to help out. I'm looking forward to the next event and will put my hand up for BBQ duty any time, I can probably knock together a BBQ kit of sorts, save from having to clean the hotplate with a stick :)

So that mystery fish turned out to be a Stargazer about 40cm long. Check out my post in the Bris club for a pic :) ugly ugly fish :)

Thanks again for a great day and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Cheers
Ray

yak-gear
HOTW Australia

#10 Post by yak-gear » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 am

Thanks tor helping out Ray..
Graeme is planning for a few more events throughout the year.. stay tuned for more info..

This was a great day, nothing dampened the spirits not the howling wind nor rain..

Big thanks agqin to Daiwa Australia, viking kayaks and rosco's anf all the behind the scenes stuff by the committee to ensure the day went ahead without a glitch..

Andrew

Return to “Heroes On The Water - Australia”