HOWAUS Event Weekend 13th & 14th April

Heroes On The Water - Australia, supporting our returned Serviceman and Women. For information on how you can become involved, please PM Yak-Gear (Andrew)
pat_o
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, all things native and snowy mountains trout
Kayaks: NWC Ultimate 12 / NWC Slayer 13 / Malibu X-13

HOWAUS Event Weekend 13th & 14th April

#1 Post by pat_o » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Its funny sometimes how life has a way of taking you places that you never thought you would be, as with this trip two weeks earlier I was thinking about finally fixing up the backyard, badly neglected for last few months when out of the Blue I get the call to see if I want help with couple of events for HOWAUS, the choice was fairly easy, the backyard would have to wait, again.

With not much time to plan the call for volunteers went out and many gladly answered the call, including our sponsors for this weekend, Daiwa, Wavedance Kayaks and I am pleased to announce a new sponsor, Land Based Fishing all came on board with plenty of gear and kayaks.

Andrew and Leon did most of the hard work during the week by arranging and picking most of the gear and I arrived at his place Saturday morning to load up and head off on our latest venture. With everything loaded we were on the highway, clouds loomed in the distance and they soon turned to rain, by the time we got to Blue Rock the weather had turned for the worse with wind bringing up white caps over the lake. The tent remained in the trailer and we were soon checked into a cabin down the road at Moe.

Sunday morning and the sky’s cleared, we were down to lake early and all set-up by 0800. The wind again picked up just in time for the AI boys (Mark, Chris, Dave, and Rob) to have some fun, there is something special about seeing an AI in full sail that always has me doing maths figures and looking at EBay :o) Soon after Kevin from Land Based Fished rocked up and not only did he bring lures, rods and reels but a box of homemade cupcakes that we had to fight the local wildlife just to eat.

The morning rolled on and the fishing was very tough with only a few small reddies caught, the guys got to try the different AI’s, something special in itself and enjoy a sausage sizzle followed by a generous lure give away by Kevin, some of which we are putting up as a prize for an online raffle on the facebook page along with a new set of Ugly Fish Sun Glasses. Sadly as with all things the time came to a close with promises of a return trip, hopefully with better weather.

With all the gear and Yaks back on the trailer, it was time for the drive up to the Ovens River, Andrew decided on the mountain pass and we soon realised that we had forgot the CD’s and Cyndi Lauper in CD player had to go, needless to say when we found a Sting CD in the back of the glovebox all rejoiced.

5 hours later had us pulling into the caravan park at Bundalong where we were meet by Big Pete, no trip to the Ovens is complete without having him along and as usual he had secured us the best accommodation in the park.

Time seemed to flash by and we were down at the river setting up again, with all the rain the river had really dirtied up and it seemed bait would be the way to go, lucky I had the chance and had been down in the channels and in the bush and bought with me a few dozen yabbies and bardie grubs to tempt the local fish population.

The guys from the local Yarawonga RSL turned up and it was time for a coffee, Andrew took one of the boys out for paddle and he was all smiles, sometimes just being in a yak is all it takes to put your mind at rest. John the Secretary of the RSL pledged he would be back again next time and we gladly advised him that we would be back. The fishing again was very tough, we had a few bites and a bust-off but we only managed to land a turtle being caught on a juicy bardie.

As with my previous outings with HOWAUS, the uplifting feeling and the experience of being able to assist at these events is one that is extremely difficult to express in words, the closest I can come is it makes my heart smile.

Time to load up

Blue Rock Lake
The AI’s are here

Spoiled for chioce

Welcome Kevin – Land Based Fishing

Cupcake heaven

Big thanks to Wavedance :o)

Ovens River
Boys from the local RSL

Time on the water

Thanks for coming – John Yarawonga RSL

Big Pete and Pato hard at it

Who needs fish
Pat 0402 167 265
p.oneill@aerocare.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/heroesonthewateraustralia
"Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."

Jen
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there are fish
Kayaks: Hobie Revo ll "Calamity Jen ll"

Re: HOWAUS Event Weekend 13th & 14th April

#2 Post by Jen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Glad things went well. Can't wait till QLD's turn again :grin:

BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

Re: HOWAUS Event Weekend 13th & 14th April

#3 Post by BigPete68 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 pm

My pleasure to be a small part of HOWAUS. Here's a pic of the Ovens I took while loading up to head back to work on Monday arvo.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

Return to “Heroes On The Water - Australia”