23 February 2013 The Big Day - Reports and pics

Catch - Measure - Photograph - Release
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Re: 23 February 2013 The Big Day - Reports and pics

#16 Post by mouse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks to Dave, Ewen Maddock Fish Management Inc, Sponsors and everyone that attended.

During the week leading up to the competition I picked up a cold and advised Dave I could'nt attend, at the 11hr decided with the support of the minister for finance and war (wife) I was fit enough to attend.

The day started early with 2.30am alarm (which I didn't need as I was so excited I could'nt sleep, first comp.), drove the 1hr and setup contemplating the day ahead not with any high expectations as I only had the opportunity for 2 prefish sessions.

During my last prefish I had the pleasure of meeting Michael, being a local he knows the dam well so together we fished for several hrs, Michael pointing out underwater structure and various points of the dam, Thanks mate.

Back to the day, briefed and on the water about 6.30am, I looked at barometer before setting off and it was low so decided that surface was out and starting trolling with no success, (lots of bass and spangled perch but nothing legal). Michael and I headed towards the far banks, after no success decided to stop trolling swap rods and try plastics, well it did'nt take long before "bang" I was on with a nice fish, drag set light (4lb line) played him for a while let him have a few runs and tire out, a beautiful 53cm bass came to the surface what a fantastic site, placed the Bassaction net under him and well you all know the excitment you feel when you net a PB fish especially in a competition, photo's taken and looking for that 2nd legal fish.

Stayed with plastics for awhile with no legal bass I decided I would go back to trolling with old faithful a mid diving atomic that always produces fish but never that big bass. Several hours had passed since landing what I hoped would be in good running for a place but just needed that second fish and then the drag went crazy, concentrate and take your time i'm telling myself but all I wanted was this fish in the kayak, well once again in the Bassaction net and on the measuring scale, photo taken.

Weather started to change and I was getting burnt so decided to head back and discuss the day on the dam.

See attached winning fish,

Cheers Kym :grin:
Ewen Maddock Dam. v2.JPG
Ewen Maddock Dam v2.JPG
Cheers,
Kym

Firstcast
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#17 Post by Firstcast » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Great competition @ Ewan Maddock Dam. First competition that myself and a mate have been in and can say it was fantastic and congratulations to the team for organising such a great day. Keep up the good work and will see ya all back there next year :grin:

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#18 Post by Jamie D » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Kim you tin arsh.

scorpio
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120. Hobie Outback no. 3.

#19 Post by scorpio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Had a great day yesterday. Congratulations to the winners and a big thanks to Dave, the crew, and all the sponsers. Hope to be there next year.

mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

#20 Post by mouse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Jamie D wrote:Kim you tin arsh.
Tin arsh............ :wink:
C u on the 10th at Dohles rocks.
Cheers,
Kym

Jen
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there are fish
Kayaks: Hobie Revo ll "Calamity Jen ll"

#21 Post by Jen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Rats.. damn weather confusing me :roll: glad you all had a great morning weather gods played nice for a change..dsmn weather gods :lol:

Gigantor
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Jabberville

#22 Post by Gigantor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Great to hear all went well. Congrats to all involved.

Cheers, Pete

Fishmond
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Limbo (between sunny coast and goldie)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo Fisherman/ Seak SiK

#23 Post by Fishmond » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Congratulations to Kym for taking out the Bass title.
I'd love to see the trophy on the next club day :wink:

I'm glad that all went well on the big day.

Well done to those who organised the event and I hope that it will become a regular fixture as it seems to have been very well received.

Richo

Return to “Ewen Maddock Fish Stockers Challenge”