Saturday 18/3

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Saturday 18/3

Postby LODO » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm heading out this Saturday ... trolling.

I will be heading out from Pallarenda, and at the moment ... either going to the Strand to have Breakfast at the cafe behind the swimming pool ... or across to the Island for some eggs benedict at Picnic Bay hotel. Likely to be on the water by 0700.

I won't be stopping to flick lures, or soak baits ... just cruising around to see the sights and get a little exercise.

Cheers.

Mike.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Re: Saturday 18/3

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Great - i'm hoping to get out Saturday morning as well and planning on a breaky at Picnic Bay. B
I'll be out earlier and not launching from Pallarenda. And I also hope to be fishing.

9am at Picnic Bay unless things change? I'm keen to see this new rig of yours.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby LODO » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am

Where are you launching from? if there's easy access ... could be a change of scenery :)

I may be happy to get on the water earlier ... depending on how well I can get organised tonight. Other than that, yep, aiming for 0900 at Picnic Bay. Unfortunately for me the wind is not predicted to be doing too much, but hey ... It's supposed to be about the exercise anyway right :)
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am

I'm launching from the beach just past the Golf Club. Only works as I now have the Sand Cart (thanks again to Whisky for lending me his to test out first) for the haul down to the beach. Takes me straight over Virago on the way to Picnic Bay.

I am pretty sure I'll see you out there if you head towards the usual marker at Middle Reef. I should be slightly more visible than before too :lol:

I am hoping to be on the water about 6am, but will muck around Virago/ Middle and maybe the flats until 9am.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am

No chance of me launching the TI From that location.

I tried once from there and it was a long walk at low tide. But with a 2.08 low and 2.2 high ... you shouldn't have to trek so far.

Check with Omer too ... he has a wheel eze cart sitting in my garage that has seen no use in a long time. They are brilliant, but don't pack down to put inside a hull with the big wheels. Other than that, they are a wonderful piece of kit.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby caustic » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:00 am

Keep an eye open, I came across a small crocodile (1.5 - 2 meters) at Virago on Tuesday morning. :lek: It was just cruising past about 10 meters off my bow as I was packing up my gear. I honestly froze for about 10 seconds and then decided that paddle like hell was the best approach, as soon as I dipped a paddle it turned toward me and submerged, I think it was as surprised to see me so close as I was of it. Worst of all was I had just turned my Go-pro off, so I had an hour and a half of footage of me catching baby cod and getting snagged and then miss my (Hopefully) only meeting with a croc.... :beye:
caustic
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: RTM K Largo

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Bugger that caustic - at least it wasn't huge (big enough though). I have heard that they seem to be about in the past few weeks - must be a late migration season.

It has been suggested to me the best approach in your situation is to paddle as hard as you can STRAIGHT AT IT in the hope you intimidate it from looking at you properly. Not sure if I would manage in the real situation :?:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby caustic » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm

I was aiming to pass behind it, which I did. But I keep thinking a bigger croc might have reacted differently. I always knew they where out there, but I figured the chances of coming across one where akin to winning the lotto, so I figured needle in a haystack odds are in my favor. I am always very aware while kayaking, I am always scanning the water, and this croc was suddenly right in front of me. At first glance I assumed it was a sea turtle, (hundreds around out there at the moment) and when I recognized the eye and nose ridges. I realized I was very alone with mere tupperware between me and it. It scared the hell out of me (and made me think a lot about how to deal with bigger versions) But I am still going out tomorrow morning, However I am live-baiting around kissing point for Barra, mainly because there is basically no tide tomorrow morning so drift fishing should be great, while the reefs will probably be shut down.
caustic
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: RTM K Largo

Postby LODO » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 am

I must admit, it's one place that I'd tend to be more vigilant for Crocs anyway. You've got those lovely little mangroves at Rowes Bay there, and I have seen a couple of crocs there in the past. Back in the day when I'd drag my heavy kayak across the rocks through the mangroves and to fish in the shallows there.

Productive fishing spot, but there are some cranky bull sharks and little lizards that frequent there.

All that in mind, I must admit, my reflext is to paddle hard and fast straight at a croc. The time that Spanky encountered a big bopper at Toolakea, he surfed the very next wave in, while I turned and paddle hard in the direction of the croc. I wasn't entirely sure why I did it, but that was my reflex. I figured ... I'd be able to tell for certain if it was a croc (seeing someone turn white and use a girly scream wasn't enough evidence), and I'd know where it was going.

I've seen spear fisho's use the same technique with sharks on documentaries. See a shark, intimidate it by going at it ("I'm a bigger predator than you" attitude). Not sure I'd be THAT keen.

Seeing the big storm coming from 4k off the beach was a little intimidating ... probably more so than seeing a croc to be honest. Once you see the first lightning bolt you suddenly start to feel very exposed...
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub