Sun 16th

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Sun 16th

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Planning to take my son for first ever independent paddle on the water Sunday morning. He has been over to the island on the back of my boat and paddled on the river in the second kayak but not the ocean.

Probably Palleranda and probably only for an hour or two. Will bring rods but expect minimal fishing effort.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Sun 16th

Postby Whisky » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 pm

great to hear that. I found it very enjoyable to have the kids paddling along. My son started at 8 and he outpaddled me a year ago when he turned 15.
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Top little morning paddle is was.

NorthSIKer Junior is 8.

We trolled from the boat ramp down to the old jetty for nothing. Just as I launched a saw a shower of bait just to the right of the boat ramp in shallow water, followed by a doggie launching over a metre into the air. No time to fish it as NorthSIKer junior was already on his way.

We drifted a bit around the old jetty / rocks and NorthSIKer Junior pulled in a catfish and undersize grunter on salted prawn. Daddy, with exact same bait two metres away didn't get a nibble :lol:

Trolled back before 9am. I got a nice little trevally trolling back (ceviche tomorrow night :love: ). Pulled in NorthSIKer junior's line just before landing and he'd been 'grinnered'. 'Yeah dad, I thought it was maybe a bit heavier'. They do pull like an anaemic lump of weed.

So Whisky I have 6 or 7 years before I will need him to wait up for me out on the water?
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Whisky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

Sounds like a great trip for NorthSIKer junior. Sure you are going to have great times together for years even after he will need to wait.

Because kids start young, they can absorb skills through their skin without understanding. Whisky junior can ride waves, paddle the yak like a standup board or a submarine by filling it with water and I don't have a clue on how.

I found it is helpful to develop signals in communication using paddle or hands for "come here", "do you need help?", "I am fine", "look over there", "I need help" etc. As he gains further skills, it will take no time for him to be 500m away when you are concentrating in drifting over a fish hole;

BTW my outing to Virago Shoal on Sat was not as good. No bite at all, not even a bommie cod. I will try again coming weekend
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby tasfisher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 pm

For someone who was expecting minimal fishing effort you did pretty bloody well!

Kids, they'll surprise you every time. Can't wait to get my boy out paddling, he just had his first fishing trip yesterday (he's just turned 3) and I had to pull in his bloody big stingray because he wanted to drive the boat instead. Thought he was bored, and today he hasn't shut up about it..... surprises.

Keep the trips coming and the stories too, great to hear them.
tasfisher
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: South East Tasmania
Kayaks: Wavedance Kingfisher

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub