Saturday 5/8

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Saturday 5/8

Postby LODO » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Hi all

I am heading out on Saturday morning at sunrise from Palleranda ... hopefully stopping out there until the afternoon low tide completes.

At the moment, my plan is to launch, troll around Palleranda towards West Point, perhaps out and around Bay Rock (perhaps) and then drifting along the front of the island as many times as possible before a brief stopover at either middle reef or virago.

You won't be able to miss me, I'm the big yellow boat with outriggers.

First time on the water for a while for me ... and first time with fishing gear in almost a year!! *sigh* ... hope the fish are feeling generous!!!

Cheers
Mike.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Re: Saturday 5/8

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Weather should be really good (might even be some showers) and tides ok. Your plan sounds good. If it is overcast and the water clear (should be) with the tides having a bit more run should be good chance the doggies are back in and biting into the day.

If all else fails I'd suggest trolling an un- or very lightly weighted plastic or fly in 0.5 to 1.5m of water along the contour inside the flats of the island. The trevally will be hanging there.

Not sure if you have a sounder but last weekend there was heaps of small trevally (too small to keep) and other stuff (got snipped by mackerel) exactly two kilometres from the Pallarenda ramp if you head in a straight line to the Pipes in the middle of the flats. I'd suggest heading to that point and then turning to Bay Rock (if that is still your plan) as the line you would travel between 2km out and Bay Rock is close to the point of a few hookups for me over the past few months (i mapped the hookups coming back from the island and they are mostly in a straight line around the path I just described!).

I'm hoping to head out to Cape Cleveland on Sunday. If the rain forecast holds hopefully mackerel are biting into the day well.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby LODO » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am

Thanks NorthSIKer

I don't have a fishfinder as yet, I'm saving up some cash to buy one and have it retrofitted into a Pelican case as a completely portable unit.

Battery in the case, sounder mounted on the case, transducer arm mounted on the case and a starport or ram mount on the bottom to mount it to the kayak. That way, I can use the mount for fishfinder, or anything else if I'm not fishing. I can't stand the annoyance of fitting batteries into awkward compartments on the yak. For me, I'm learning (still) that with regard to kayak fishing, if it's not easy to organise and convenient ... I won't do it.

My mate has requested a trip around the island as well .. so the plans are up in the air, but if there's any chance the doggies are around ... it's highly likely I'll be leaning towards fishing!!

Cheers
Mike.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 pm

How did you go yesterday LODO?

All i managed today was four sharks - not so much as a touch from anything else. :cry:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

Saturday was the closest to a perfect day on the water than I have ever been.

We got to the boat ramp at 0600 and were on the water by 0630 and in no great rush. We headed along the front of Pallarenda around to Shelly Beach, the buddy I had with me had never seen that side of Townsville and I thought it was a great opportunity to show him what's around. From there, we headed across to West Point .... plenty of bait activity was evident due to the bird activity ... but no hits.

About 2km off West Point we started to get a bit of splashing around us, and some bow waves going against the swell, after a while two juvenile Dugongs swam alongside us. Anyone that knows me, knows that once I see dugongs, it's the perfect day, anything additioinal is just extra cream :)

Stopped at West Point for a feed, and enjoyed the comfort of the lawn chairs left there by local residents while throwing down some water and food.

We then paddled out along the West side of Maggie heading towards Horseshoe bay, about 3/4 the way along we headed directly towards Bay Rock for about 2k and then back to West Point. My entire focus had been around getting along the front of the island for a period between 10am and 11am that I thought would bite well.

As we cruised past West Point, we were getting little taps on my trusty gold bomber and nothing on the plastic.

Then right on 10.30 WHAM! Gold bomber line starts screaming, fish launches out of the water ... there was a fight for maybe two minutes, and the mongrel cuts the leader (40lb Fluorocarbon) about 40cm above where the lure was! It was a clean cut ... we didn't get it close enough to identify it, but it was clearly a mackeral of sorts.

Spend a little time putting new leader on (the remaining strip was too short), next gold bomber (last gold bomber) ... paddled back to the same area and WHAM! My plastic gets hit, but this one stayed on. The beauty of the Tandem Island is that I could stand up on the trampoline and fight the fish, and take time to think about what I was doing. While I'm fighting the fish, WHAM! Gold bomber gets hit and line starts going ... this happened as my mate was winding in the line to make it easier for me to fight the fish. He gets it right to the side of the yak, would have been 80-90cm (approx) mackeral. It jumps higher and bites the line ... snapped ... so if you catch a mackeral with a gold bomber as a piercing, I'd love it if you could return the lures and enjoy the fish!!! There's two out there somewhere.

Anyway, back to my fish, it took several runs, got a little acrobatic and a couple of good dives under the yak ... best fun fighting a fish I have had in a long, very long, time. Eventually, I got it close enough and just dragged it up on to the trampoline ... a very healthy 61cm salmon weighing all of 2-3kg ... very healthy fat fish with chomp marks all along both sides where scales had been removed.

We continued to paddle along the front of the island for no more hits ... by the time I repaired both lines it was nearly 11.30 and the time had passed. We paddled to the blue house and turned to Palleranda and opened up the sail. Had a very gentle cruise back sitting on 8kmh all the way without using any energy.

Total day was 27km, 21 of which we pedalled, then enjoyed the last six.

Plenty of turtles and birdlife as well ... spectacular day!!!

I must also add that the tides4fishing site was BANG ON (thanks Whisky for posting it up) for the bite time. Never seen the site before, but right on the time they suggested ... the bite happened and disappeared just as quickly. Was very happy with that, it gave me something to work with.

Still no fishfinder setup, still not sure I need it...

:cool: :grin:
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Very nice.

I have seen plenty of dugongs out there but none in the last 12 months for some reason so I am bit jealous. Also haven't caught any salmon in a while (got them quite a bit for a period generally coming back into Pallarenda).

Looks like you are going to have to wire up if you are going to troll for those mackerel. Though sounds that first fish would have got through anyway. Same thing happened to me yesterday with one of the sharks at the boat, it turned, wrapped its tail in the line and bit through about a metre above the lure.

Those salmon will rub through sometimes too - but your pretty safe with 40lb Flurocarbon. Unlike the macks that will slice 100lb fluro as easily as 4lb.

I got really unlucky coming back from the Cape yesterday - a mackerel must have hit my FG knot. Felt nothing, just looked back at one point and the line is all slack with just braid flowing in the breeze. I've lost quite a lot of (unwired) lures like that over the years and the occasional trolling sinker but never the knot before. I run about 4-5m of mono to the lure so not a missed hit of the lure - I can only think the FG knot was just big enough for a small mack to take a swipe.

Yeah, I have been checking that site Whisky put up but haven't as yet seen a strong predictive ability.

So we going to see you out trolling more often now? :grin:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Whisky » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Great report, I already planned my next trolling trip on coming weekend along NorthSIKer's track posted couple of days ago.
Hope that it is not a first timer's luck in using that tide4fish site for Lodo.
It sort of works most of the time. But there are other factors such as turbid water etc. For me, It is actually most useful in showing it to my wife that I definitely need to fish on a particular day. :lol:
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Whisky wrote: For me, It is actually most useful in showing it to my wife that I definitely need to fish on a particular day. :lol:

You're smarter than I am Whisky :lol:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub