Holidaying in Townsville

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Holidaying in Townsville

Postby fishing addict » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 am

Have been in Townsville for three weeks now on holidays with the olds. Took the viking reload off Toomulla for a little 50 cm GT but nothing else. Went out to Cape Cleaveland overnight in the old mans boat around the 19th for 2 Barra (released), 2 salmon, 1 fingermark, 1 cobia and 3 Tarpon. On the 30th we then went out to Rattlesnake island via magnetic island where we stopped to pick up some bait. On the way past maggie I saw 2 lads in a yellow tandom adventure island that I gave a wave to (anyone from here?). lost 2 Tuna trolling lures but picked up a 59cm Grunter and the old man picked up a 45cm Jack. There were a few smaller trevally and other catches that were all thrown back. Lots of sharks around.
I'm heading off to the blue house on Magneic island today so hopefully the weather gods are a bit kinder than the weather forecast lets on.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm
fishing addict
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

Re: Holidaying in Townsville

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Sounds like you are getting about there.

Bloody hot around here last week and the fish may be sent down deeper and wider than normal. Hopefully more rain through this week to cool things down.

Where you are should be fairly protected this week especially in the mornings. Would definitely get out from the blue house. Might even still be a few grey mackerel around just off the edges of the flats.

When do you head home?
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby fishing addict » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Heading home on 15th of jan or there abouts. Caught a 45cm cod and three black tip reef sharks on popper in the kayak this arvo just fishing tbe rising tide in the kayak. Just beat the storm back to the house by a half hour.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

fishing addict
KFDU Angler

Postby LODO » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 am

The two blokes in the Yellow Tandem Island ... that was me and my father-in-law.

That whole bay right in front of you can be quite productive in patches. Right out front is often a good spot for Golden Trevally, trolling along the front of the reef there (tide dependant) I've landed everything from Coral Trout to a nice 10+kg Blue Tusk Fish!

The great thing about the island is there's always somewhere protected to get to. From the Blue House, you can get to West Point nice and easy and it's a good spot. Then Horsesoe Bay is good along the edges, and a troll along the shoreline about 50-100m from shore you often get hooked up to something. I don't mind the front of Picnic Bay, but I'm always distracted by the eggs benedict for breakfast at the pub ... so I don't fish there :)

Winds are looking a bit sketchy for me this week, but there could be an off chance I get out early morning on Friday. The swell is down, so I could be in with a chance ...
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Postby fishing addict » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Caught a 45cm cod 150m out from the house and a baracuda around the 80cm mark. Lots of blacktip reefs sharks as well. Hopefully better tomorrow

fishing addict
KFDU Angler

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 am

Hey fishing addict,

How have you been going over the last week?

I may be heading out Sunday morning inside the island between the Pipes and Picnic Bay (to stay out of the northerly). Northerlies combined with a high tide in theory not good fishing conditions but sometimes the in theory crap days work out well.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby fishing addict » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Had my trip canned early due to an uncle passing away back in Brisbane and heading back for the funeral.
end result was an 84cm barra, 9 80cm plus barracuda, soo many blacktip reef sharks, a number of 40-60 cm trevally, and the cod. Lost some really big stuff around West point and pretty sure I lost a few kg's of fluids in the heat. That paddle to the point was a lot further than I thought when the weather turned on me in the afternoon.

Hopefully next time Im up there I get to spend more time on the water.

fishing addict
KFDU Angler

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Sounds like a good trip, and very Townsville fishing wise (I note 'soo many blacktip reef sharks' and 'Lost really big stuff').

Sorry to hear about your uncle.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub