Maggie Island 11 Feb 2018

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Maggie Island 11 Feb 2018

Postby LODO » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am

I finally dusted off the fishing gear and went out for a quick session yesterday morning.

I will be adding some photos and video to this post in the next day or so ... when I download them to my PC.

Got to the Pallarenda Boat Ramp at 0500 to hit the water at first light (0542). It was a complete glassout, absolutely stunning. Only disappointment was not taking the cast net down to catch some bait before heading off, as there were bait fish jumping around everywhere.

Got the Tandem Island all rigged up, and off we headed. I might add the boat ramp, was also the busiest I have seen it in a loooong time!

Spectacular sunrise, heaps of turtles and a ray that would have been at least eight feet across launched out of the water in front of us to give a truly spectacular start to the day.

We got over to the front of the island and I had a couple of patches in mind that I wanted to tackle. We were there well before high tide, and I had no intention of anchoring up until the outgoing. So we trolled across the front of the flats for a while.

Heading to waypoint #1 there was a stink boat anchored up about 20m from the mark ... I gave it a wider berth, but made sure we were between it and the flats. Timing couldn't have been better ... as our lines went past the front of the boat ... WHACK! GT on! only a littly, but on light gear (when you are holding the fishing rod) ... I am yet to find anything that hits better than a hungry GT. There were some unimpressed boaties watching on!

Once we got ourselves sorted, and released it unhurt to fight another day. We decided to go over the same patch, so we gave the boat a wide berth again, and came through the same patch at the front .... WHACK! This time a nice size Queenfish ... right in front of the boat again. :lol:

This one was a keeper, for dinner. We trolled a little longer, and then headed toward the selected anchor point. Anchored up, organised ourselves a little better and re-rigged for bait fishing. First bait out there, a beautiful little stripey, absolutely stunning ... about 40cm ... but we let it live another day. Then a juvenile Barra! Stunning, and healthy ... another one living to fight again.

Our bait was not lasting more than 2 minutes in the water before needing to be replaced. Some really aggressive and solid hits, but just not managing to set the hooks. Has me thinking likely tuskfish or something like that. Rods would bend over, take drag, but the hooks would just not set ... and they were 4/0 circle hooks, that should do the job. We landed a few other smaller fish, and a couple that would have been keepers, but as we had something there for a feed, we continued to throw them back in.

By 11am the wind picked up to about 15knots, so we opened the sail, and headed back to the boatramp cruising along at 12kmh. A great way to get home after a morning's fishing.

It was also a good reminder for me, of why I do like kayak fishing. Need to do this much more often!!!
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Re: Maggie Island 11 Feb 2018

Postby caustic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Mornings have been amazing the last couple of days. Sounds like a good day fishing as well. I am heading out to virago tomorrow so hopefully the weather holds out.
caustic
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: RTM K Largo

Postby Ant01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks for the post.

Would love to join in a trip one day. Have only recently started kayak fishing around TSV in my Hobie.

I have been thinking of doing the trek across but would feel more comfortable with a partner. Not doubting my fitness if the winds turn but more safety as the Maggie area is unknown to me. I have done palleranda, kissing point mainly.

Cheers
Ant
Ant01
KFDU Angler

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Nice work and good to see you getting back into the fishing LODO. Was the trolling on your gold bombers?

+1 the thoughts on the hit from a GT, even the little ones are shockingly strong.

I had a quick morning run Saturday off Saunders but water was super dirty from the previous week of wind and I couldn't manage so much as a touch.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby LODO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 am

Yep, trolling was on the trusty gold bombers. The closest lure to the edge was the one getting hit. Plenty of weed, we were pulling the lures in every 50-100m but it was worth it.

The water was too dirty to consider using a soft plastic ... needed a nice loud rattle. These are the next step up from gold bombers, the next step up from the cheaper ones... they're also designed for long casting. The Gold bomber is my most trusted lure ... it's the one that gets hit most often, and trevally love them. It was a great surprise to also land a nice Queenfish on the lure. I love Queenies because of their acrobatic tendancies ... they're just so much fun.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby LODO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 am

Ant01 wrote:Would love to join in a trip one day. Have only recently started kayak fishing around TSV in my Hobie.

I have been thinking of doing the trek across but would feel more comfortable with a partner. Not doubting my fitness if the winds turn but more safety as the Maggie area is unknown to me. I have done palleranda, kissing point mainly.

Ant ... the trip across to Maggie isn't too daunting, but yeah, you need to be prepared to deal with some sudden changes in condition at times. Depending on which hobie you have, I'd highly recommend the inflatable akas. My father-in-law has them on his island and we go around the island fairly often, and have been out there in some very rough stuff. He's approaching mid 70's.

That's the beauty of the hobie drive, if you've got turbo fins, you can sit on 6-7km/h without a problem.

That being said, I'll be sure to put posts up to let you know when I'm heading over to the island again ... This weekend is looking pretty decent :)

Cheers

Mike.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Ant01 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks Lodo.

Yep I made my own outriggers which almost replicates the Hobie design. They work great, however never really needed to use them. I have the turbo fins on a hobie adventure.

Thanks will really enjoy getting over.

Cheers.
Ant01
KFDU Angler

Postby LODO » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am

I agree, you don't need them ... until you do.

One thing about that strip between Pallarenda and the Island is the current can flow throw fairly fast. My father-in-law tethers himself to his yak when he goes out solo, and always has the outriggers on. He had an issue a while ago, heading towards West Point ... it was hot and he decided to jump in to cool down. Luckily he was aware, and very quickly grabbed the yak, he said the speed it started to move away gave hiim a real shock.

Key thing is ... with the turbo fins, they don't add too much drag, but they do add a heck of a lot of security and stability.

Especially when solo, you either need to make sure you can get back in to your yak quickly and safely, or at the very least stay with your yak. I'm also a big believer in proper PFDs not the inflatable kind. For the same reason, if I get knocked off my kayak for some unknown reason ... I want to know I can float, rather than risk the potential of being knocked unconscious by a 50kg hull and not pulling the cord.

Just a couple of things to ponder with regards to safety on the water. Hobies are AWESOME! But they can tip us out like any other kayak ... eventhough we reckon they can't.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub