Hello...Anyone out there?

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
nobillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ex-South Coast NSW but Townsville region now
Kayaks: Hobie 13 Revo OK 4.5 Prowler Elite Malibu Stealth(past) OK 4.1 Trident

Hello...Anyone out there?

#1 Post by nobillie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 pm

:wink: Hey...anyone out there still? ...I hear nothing, as "Schultz" would say. And I am also :gu: for not posting and not enough fishing...and kayaking. I'm not far from Pallarenda or Rowes Bay. Fishing off the hot sand from the beach I'd rather trade for a paddle on a windy day.

Time starvation is symptomatic of most of our lives, so it is hard to coordinate a 'buddy' trip. But I'm open to suggestions, and it'd be nice if we can pump some interest back into this forum.
:grin:
Cheers, John

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Hello...Anyone out there?

#2 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Yeah, quiet alright.

I haven't been out much since before Christmas. Actually heading out tomorrow though. Pallarenda on daybreak - out to Bay Rock (maybe Burdekin Rock), over to behind West Point and back up the inside of the island on the last of the outgoing tide is the plan at this stage.

Am keen to stretch the arms and figure it might be a bit far for most other fishers.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by nobillie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Guilty again. I didn't check the forum. How did you go on Sunday NorthSIKer? We were walking on the beach at Palleranda at around 4ish or after... saw a few 'yaks coming in...

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 pm

nobillie wrote: How did you go on Sunday NorthSIKer?
Pretty much followed the plan. Picked up a decent barra trolling inside the island on the way out but on the fourth or fifth jump it spat the lure clean out of its mouth. Also picked up a little GT - usually a common catch around there but this year has been slow for me so far. Welcome to be able to make trevally cerviche salad again.

Headed around the point to just before the green zone at Five Beaches Bay but nothing doing on the sounder. Paddled out to Bay Rock and snagged a squid jig but nothing. Paddled back to West Point and the wind blew up in a direct head wind, killing my speed. So a painfully slow slog back to the pipes area before crossing back to Pallarenda. Had hoped to fish an hour at the pipes but the wind slowed me down too much plus the water was too chopped up to fish properly. Wind mostly settled down again by the time I got into Pallarenda.

Out of the water by lunch (over an hour late due to the wind) to take my son to Kingpin for his birthday. 30kms on the GPS but that couple of hours pointing into the wind was definitely worth a few extra kms.

If a few things come together might be popping across to the pipes for the low tide this Saturday afternoon - otherwise just a rolling practice session in the river.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by nobillie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:43 pm

- otherwise just a rolling practice session in the river.[/quote]

...in the fresh, I assume... :grin:

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm

nobillie wrote:...in the fresh, I assume... :grin:
Yeah, the fresh. Though with the assistance of a 4m mud gecko in the salt, I may be able to beat the world record for number of rolls in a minute? Then again, would probably just get a box jelly wrapped around my face :?:

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by nobillie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 am

:lol:

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#8 Post by LODO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Stoked to see some activity on here at long last!!

I will be unable to get on the yak for a couple of weeks, I just had my Dupuytren's Contracture (look it up) sorted out by xiaflex. In short, clawing of the hand straightened out by ten needles and a forced straightening of the finger.

So, I can't do much of anything at present, I am cleared to hold 1 cup of water (250ml) in my right hand ... so not even a full beer yet!!

That being said, I'd love to get a group outing happening again. I have a Tandem Island, so distance isn't really an issue for me with two motors and a sail :)

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#9 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Bad luck on the hand LODO. But you hardly need your hand anyway sailing that new rig? :lol:

Been way too long since a group paddle. Also still to consider that overnight trip - I have a pretty full year but hoping to get a few in over the next 6 months. Then next year hopefully a weeklong paddle around the Whitsundays.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by LODO » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 am

Sounds brilliant.

If you give me plenty of notice for the week long trip around the Whitsundays ... I know Brian and I would be very interested to tag along and cramp your style on your solo journey :)

The hand isn't bad luck, it was starting to "claw up" ... so I decided to get it sorted out. The procedure softens all the tissue and ligaments around so I need to be careful for a couple of weeks. Even launching the hobie would be sketchy ... one push the wrong way, and I'd be in trouble. For me, it's best to just flat out avoid the situation, rather than take the chance. Though I am starting to get frustrated at my lack of vitamin sea!

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by nobillie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:39 pm

If I were to launch my kayak for an up river fish on the Ross, would that be around Loam Island? Suppose the road works are still blocking access... :?:
Never fished the Ross up that way...any tips for gear... fish ...etc. Bearing in mind, I'm a southerner and also 99.99% saltwater fisho :wink:

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#12 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Access is still open - loam island boat ramp is one spot or just past loam island is the community centre which is where most paddlers launch from.

Barra are the main target in there. There are also large sleepy cod (i have no idea how to target them successfully in there) and of course tilapia. With a small fly there are some pretty big longtom if that is your thing. But mainly barra.

I very rarely fish in there as well but have caught a few barra on soft plastics. Some monsters in there that don't last long unless you have very thick leader or wire. Trolling or casting hardbodies will pick them up but the weirs are full of weed at the moment and the recent rain has only served to disperse this throughout the river so it would be tough. I'd try casting soft plastics near weed patches or where ever there might still be a little flow coming in still (not sure if there is any).

You need to get a stocked impoundment permit now to fish in there.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by nobillie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks for the tip re stock impoundment permit! I wouldn't have even thought about that.
And thanks for an insight into the 'fish scene' , will have to give it go soon.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club

#14 Post by LODO » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:06 am

I think my fishing style makes me highly allergic to fresh water, so absolutely no help to you.

I have paddled in the Ross River twice, and spent more time getting rid of weed from my rudder that I decided it was Salt and only ever Salt for me. Plus ... I've tasted a fresh water barra ... ONCE! and vowed never again. :lol: :lol: :gu: :grr:

Plenty of great places around to fish to not require me going in the fresh ... although it does make it hard when the wind and chop doesn't want to play the game.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”