Upcoming Paddle Sun 12/8

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

Upcoming Paddle Sun 12/8

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:52 pm

As per end of previous thread by Whisky that was hijacked.

Heading out this Sunday, location not yet determined. If LODO makes it need a boat ramp or car accessible launch for BFK (Hobie Kayak/mothership) which to me makes it most likely Pallarenda or Forrest Beach.

I prefer a daybreak launch (or even before daybreak) and getting out further afield of Townsville but (for once only) open to others suggestions :lol:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Upcoming Paddle Sun 12/8

Postby Whisky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Just got my kayak trailer registered.
Forcast is getting better. The issue is it is just getting too good. Now the Misus will be taking the opportunity for a short trip around Pallarenda/Virago in the Duo with me. Mostly likely will be launching (literally) at the ramp at around 7:00 am.

Good luck with anywhere to be planned.
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby LODO » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:22 am

I am definitely heading out on Sunday. And have had the itinerary "hijacked" by my +1.

At the moment it looks like, trolling lures across to West Point, and then along the front of Cockle Bay towards Picnic Bay ... (Stop for Breakfast ... Eggs Benny & Coffee) ...

Then down towards the Breakwater with a possible stop on the Strand near the pool for a wee toasted sandwich.

Then ... paddle/sail towards Pallarenda right past the point and Virago Shoal ... in the hope of enticing something to take the lure.

My father-in-law has not been on the water in a long time either ... so ... for me ... it's more about him being on the water than me proactively fishing. That being said, I tend to hookup going along the front of Cockle Bay most times ... last time was trevally, queenfish and coral trout. All on soft plastics ... trolling ... so I can't even be specific on location.

Definitely at Pallarenda, and I too would LOVE to be on the water by sunrise. The weather conditions have been beautiful and it would be wonderful to see the sun come up.

Northsiker ... if you have a time to be on water ... let me know ... otherwise, I'll make my timing up based on Brians' workload on Saturday and how he is physically feeling.

Regards
Mike.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Good to see everyone getting out on the water with their other halves.

I've decided I am going to head over to the pipes before daybreak and fish the incoming tide in the shallows between there and West Point. LODO, might see you as your come past to West Point after daybreak?

I'm then going to catch up with another paddler and head around to out front of Five Beaches Bay looking for whales (and mackerel, tuna, etc :grin: ).

Whisky, don't think I will see you on the water on Sunday but if I do I'll come over, otherwise have a good trip.

Weather forecast still looks great. LODO, you might even have to paddle instead of bludging off of the wind.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

Yeah, I've seen the wind forecast ... I'm more than happy to kick in to pedal drive for a change. It's actually better for trolling a lure anyway ... I only ever use the Sail on return legs, or getting from point to point. Other than that, I truly prefer to pedal and control exactly where I want to be.

But hey ... at least with my vessel, I can stand up to take a leak! :lol: :lol:
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

LODO wrote:But hey ... at least with my vessel, I can stand up to take a leak! :lol: :lol:

Bahhh.

Real men can muster enough pressure to shoot over and out the side of a sit-in kayak, from a seated position, with barely a dribble spilt. Which is why I take a pee bottle :lol:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:02 pm

So my trip has just changed ... AGAIN.

Looks like no fishing for me, but I will be on the water.

My young bloke (8yo) has decided he wants to get up early and come out with me. Only down side is he doesn't like the thought of killing animals :)

So ... first hurdle is get him addicted to being on the water with his old man ... then get him fishing!!

We'll still be at the ramp and hopefully on the water some time close to sunrise. Still want to head across to West Point, then to either Picnic Bay or the Strand, and back. Hope is ... he'll get to at least see some turtles and general wildlife ... the skeptic in me is suggesting that he will be board before we get past the marker off the boat ramp at Pally.

But ... you've got to try!
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Ads22 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 am

LODO, I have the same issue with my kids. They are CRAZY animal lovers (more than me, and I work with animals every day!), which is great most of the time. I get them out fishing still, purely from the interest of experiencing how cool the fish are, the different shapes, colours, sizes, and so on. It doesn't have to be about killing them. However, from a nutritional and scientific point of view, I also remind my kids that we are, in fact, animals! Contrary to ever-growing social perception. And, as animals, we must eat. Eg. if we were a shark, or a tiger, or a dog (and so on), it would be second nature. And they must kill to eat, and it has nothing to do with being mean, but a requirement. So, we teach them to do it with respect.

In time, they will choose their own path, but exposure to reality is an important step in the learning curve.

Hope you got out and enjoyed the day either way. I'd have at least trolled a lure or two!

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby LODO » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 am

Ads22 wrote:LODO, I have the same issue with my kids. They are CRAZY animal lovers (more than me, and I work with animals every day!), which is great most of the time. I get them out fishing still, purely from the interest of experiencing how cool the fish are, the different shapes, colours, sizes, and so on. It doesn't have to be about killing them. However, from a nutritional and scientific point of view, I also remind my kids that we are, in fact, animals! Contrary to ever-growing social perception. And, as animals, we must eat. Eg. if we were a shark, or a tiger, or a dog (and so on), it would be second nature. And they must kill to eat, and it has nothing to do with being mean, but a requirement. So, we teach them to do it with respect.

In time, they will choose their own path, but exposure to reality is an important step in the learning curve.

Hope you got out and enjoyed the day either way. I'd have at least trolled a lure or two!

Adam

Don't get me wrong, he used to be right into it, and is often absolutely fascinated when I bring fish home, and clean them for dinner. He wants to know everything about how they work, gut contents ... the whole shebang, and is fascinated by their skeleton when filleted nicely.

It's the act of seeing them with the hook that he doesn't like. He happily went to the barra farm, put bait on the hook, cast in to the water ... then it was up to me. Once the hook was out, he was happy to look at the fish, and investigate and loved watching it swim away. It's just for me to be respectful of his wishes, and not force it on him.

All that in mind ... come wake up time ... the little turd decided he wanted to sleep!

Absolutely amazing conditions on the water, stacks of driftwood floatin around ... so boaties would have needed to be alert that's for sure. A good number of yakkers all heading out for "whale watching" allegedly. It will be interesting to hear if anyone spotted anything.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 pm

LODO wrote:
Ads22 wrote:Absolutely amazing conditions on the water, stacks of driftwood floatin around ... so boaties would have needed to be alert that's for sure. A good number of yakkers all heading out for "whale watching" allegedly. It will be interesting to hear if anyone spotted anything.

Sure was - it was approaching boring calm.

And I have seen a lot of boats out on the bay before, but never as many as yesterday. I joined that group of yakkers around to Five Beaches for whale spotting but I suspect with the amount of boat traffic even if they had been around during the night they would have scedadled for the Palms soon after sun-up.

Fishing was reasonably quiet. Another yakker managed a flathead near West Point and there were a few wolfies hooked I believe.

I headed out in the dark and fished drop shot at the pipes on the incoming tide. Hooked a trevally but it spat the hook right at the boat. An hour later with the sun coming up I trolled the shallows and got another trevally, similar to the first, on fly. Finally for this year the usually reliable technique payed and Kokoda/cerviche was set for dinner again.

Fly Trev.png

Nothing after that and around West Point, though someone saw a spaniard jump and I saw a few doggies cruising though a current line (but no bites).

Then back around West Point over the sea grass beds got onto a 5.4kg golden trevally.

Golden Trev.png

Trolled back up inside the island and managed a couple of wolfies and a small shark - the story of every fishing trip for me these days. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub