Geez ... has fear of crocs killed the TKFC?

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Geez ... has fear of crocs killed the TKFC?

#1 Post by LODO » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:52 am

No posts in over a week, and conditions are beautiful. Sure, I'm busy this weekend, but there's got to be more activity in Townsville ... than none at all :o)

At least I would have thought so?

nobillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ex-South Coast NSW but Townsville region now
Kayaks: Hobie 13 Revo OK 4.5 Prowler Elite Malibu Stealth(past) OK 4.1 Trident

Re: Geez ... has fear of crocs killed the TKFC?

#2 Post by nobillie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:57 am

Being only a newcomer since early in the year. I have noticed the lack of enthusiasm for posting on the forum by TKFC members. Maybe crocs...but I do think that if a few members would get together for an outing, we would probably participate.However, some of us don't have the "gun" fast kayaks or the desire to fly around Magnetic Island. It's a pity that Ian tried to put a camping/kayak trip together to Maggie in august, but there was little interest. I must admit, I'm not as fit as when I was 26, now I'm 60 still fit but not really realistic for me to venture on a 40 kilometer journey on my Hobie.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club

#3 Post by LODO » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 pm

You know my father in law is >70 and pedalled around the island twice. It's something you put aside ten hours to do, just so you don't over exert yourself.

You don't need a speed machine to enjoy a good sight seeing trip around the island. Just time, conditions and an easy going state of mind.

First time he snapped a rudder pin before the half way mark, and made it around using a paddle to steer.

We are not always about the big trips, it's great fun to share the experience with other keen kayak fishos.

danfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wagga Wagga
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#4 Post by danfish » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Are there any adventure islanders in the club? I'm hoping to move there and will be doing some big trips in mine.

Are crocs really a worry?

Dan

LODO
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by LODO » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:05 pm

There is at least another one AI up here that I know of. Depending on what you mean by longer trips there is a couple of us on ocean going fishing skis that are capable of keeping up, for a reasonable distance anyway.

I would say to me, crocs are less of a concern in the open than I would consider great whites in the cooler climates. I have only seen one and that was beach fishing, but it is the ones you don't see that you should worry about.

When they are sighted. Exercise common sense and caution and just avoid launching your yak in the same location, just need to be a bit smart about what you do, no different to any area that has ocean predators.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:31 am

:) - there must be something about this time of year which just becomes a lull up here. Just based on that I never seem to get out much in whale season (which has just about finished).

One observation - trying to organise trips when everyone has differing family and life commitments, work schedules, boats, paddling styles. Can be like herding cats! Just post up trip intentions and people will tag along if it suits them.

nobillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ex-South Coast NSW but Townsville region now
Kayaks: Hobie 13 Revo OK 4.5 Prowler Elite Malibu Stealth(past) OK 4.1 Trident

#7 Post by nobillie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:57 am

Actually, it comes down to commitment...SIMILARLY I am not committed to pedalling around Magnetic Island, because I choose not to train for such a demanding trip. And I congratulate those who can. It is a choice.
But I don't believe that a busy life ( we are all busy,....although I don't have children at home anymore :grin: ) would stop you from participating in a club event, but CHOICE does, and same goes for lack of commitment.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club

#8 Post by LODO » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am

Totally agree, but, when I said that my father-in-law has done the trip ... there was no training. It was just a decision to do it, we worked out the distance at approx 42km ... and decided if we sat on 4km per hour, it'd take us ten hours. 4kmh is pretty easy in a hobie especially if you have turbo fins.

The Standard ST fins, he was averaging between 4-5 and once he had the Turbo fins in, he instantly went up to 6-7 kmh, into the wind and current. He does have the Adventure, which is a nice long vessel though, and that makes the difference I think.

My point is though, that on the right day, it's a very calming trip that you just put aside a day to do. Last time, we fluked all the right conditions, absolute glass out and every direction we went, the wind seemed to be at our backs the whole day. We did that in 8 hours ... and that was with two 20 minute stops. One at the half way point, and the last one at West Point.

But, again, I do agree ... to some people, it's just not on their wish list, and that's cool.

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#9 Post by nqkayaktours » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:50 pm

LODO wrote:No posts in over a week, and conditions are beautiful.
LODO wrote:but there's got to be more activity in Townsville ... than none at all :o)

At least I would have thought so?
I noticed that you glass boys went out for a spin today, but no post up on here or on the facebook page asking others if they wanted to attend. Just yourselves. The glass brigade. Which has happened a number of times now. And you say no posts going up about activity. :roll: Sign of the times I guess.
nobillie wrote:But I don't believe that a busy life would stop you from participating in a club event, but CHOICE does, and same goes for lack of commitment.
Got to agree here. Just to easy for lame excuses these days.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#10 Post by nqkayaktours » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:55 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:there must be something about this time of year which just becomes a lull up here.
Not sure what the reason is. Lack of committment. As mentioned earlier in the post. There have been some fish caught in close. Swag of doggies out there, big grunter and fingermark caught at Middle Reef, channel markers, and West Point, with some good coral trout and spannies caught at West point area as well. And there have been some good days to get out there on the yaks as well.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”