3-4 October Middle Reef

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
spanky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Townsville region
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 575

Re: 3-4 October Middle Reef

#16 Post by spanky » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:17 pm

It was wild further up north... wind and waves were literally knocking us off the ski's at times.
Had to rescue one guy who couldn't paddle against it and got too fatigued to make it back to the launch point!

dave dudley
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Quest Fisherman

#17 Post by dave dudley » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Well went out regardless from Palleranda, blowing a gale impossible to fish but I had to blow off the cobwebs and give it a run, the sail got me back to shore in no time and at one point the waves were at shoulder height. So shit but good and no friggin croc the next good weather I'm out.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#18 Post by LODO » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am

Talking about THAT CROC ... Last time at Picnic bay with Spanky, I saw what would have easily been interpreted as a croc. Right near where the other one was allegedly spotted.

There's a decent weed bed and in rough conditions, I managed to have a nice little encounter with a dugong ... again (I can spot them that's for sure). But that was on the way in, from a distance watching them rise out of the water with a bit of chop can cause some anxiety for those who have not seen them before.

Then ... on the return leg, I deliberately went past the very same patch to see if my friend was still cruising about. What I did notice was a huge chunk of weed ... at least 12-15 feet long, that real bushy, textured stuff. Floating length-wise in the swell. At first, from a distance, even I thought "sh1t that looks like a croc".

But, knowing the area, I paddled a little closer and was easily able to identify it as weed!!!

How far away was it? In choppy conditions, no more than 20 - 30 metres away and I couldn't recognise it 100% as weed. I may be old and blind, but it shows how one can easily mis-identify something.

Apparently Dugongs sightings are rare... is there a reason I've seen more dugongs than I have crocodiles in that Pallarenda to Magnetic Island patch?

Hmmmmm ... ponder.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”