Pally to West Point Sat 12/12

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Pally to West Point Sat 12/12

#1 Post by LODO » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:37 pm

Well, Brian and I decided to head over to West Point on Saturday morning.

That was the plan, paddle into the wind and swell. I'd ride some runners home and he could open his sail and sail back to Pally.

We were going pretty slow over there, due to Brian not having his radio, and also not having his Turbo fins, so ... we screamed across the water at 3.5 km/h! That being said, it was nice to actually troll a lure and not be in any great rush to get anywhere.

The trip was a blessing, just to get out on the water, I managed to see three dugongs, from a distance, but nonetheless, I saw them and have marked the spot for the next time I take Cooper out on the duo.

After the dugong sighting I turned direct towards West Point and noticed a red yak in the distance doing some strange circle work in the water, but not really going anywhere at the same time. So I figured, since he was on his own, I'd paddle over just to make sure everything was okay. This is where the video kicks in, I met ... forgive me if I got it wrong ... Jody (I blame complete ignorance if I did get it wrong). A very pleasant pommy bloke who was having a bit of a wrestle with a fair sized hammerhead shark.

This is the first time I've seen one up close, so I was pretty keen to stick around.

Anyway, I promised him that I'd upload some video of his fight, purely so he could prove it to those that would not believe him ... since he didn't have a free hand to take any photos.

Here's hoping we meet up on the water again some time.

https://youtu.be/zdAG9ERYFa0

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Pally to West Point Sat 12/12

#2 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Ah, nice nice - that is a weighty little shark.

What did he catch it on? I have caught heaps of different ones on trolled sluggos but not a hammerhead as yet.

dave dudley
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Hobie Quest Fisherman

#3 Post by dave dudley » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Very nice job I'll be back out when this weather settles

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#4 Post by Whisky » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Not too far away, on the same day, probably the same time, another person on a red kayak also hooked a shark + some reef fish near the pipeline. The son captured the scenes in this video.

http://vid1167.photobucket.com/albums/q ... c3ocvs.mp4

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Good to see some making use of the few windows in the winds at the moment.

What sort is the yellow kayak in that vid Whisky?

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#6 Post by Whisky » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:31 pm

It was actually quite windy in Pallarenda. Magnetic Island shielded out the northerly and made it looked calm. It is the RTM Disco. IMO, one can't buy a better one under $800. It is reasonably fast, very stable and agile and simple to customize. This is how it is set up. Perfect little rig for lighter person for short trips. My son prefers this than the Dorado II and he got no trouble in keeping up with the DII.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”