Anyone Heading out on the weekend

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
tracti
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville

Anyone Heading out on the weekend

#1 Post by tracti » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 am

Looking at a few places to go as the weather looks pretty good, was thinking the mouth of the Ross first this Saturday. Any thoughts

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Re: Anyone Heading out on the weekend

#2 Post by LODO » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:42 am

Hey Tracti ... I was going to be heading out on Saturday morning ... but alas ... I cannot go :ts:

With some wet weather predicted to arrive some time between Sunday and Tuesday ... I need to mow a few paddocks ... Wednesday deadline for short grass.

My intention was play in the yak on Saturday and mow during my time off next week ... but that hasn't worked out.

Hope you do get out.

The mouth of the Ross can be a bit of fun, though be mindful there's a fair bit of boat traffic that will come through there. There's also some nice little rock walls, near the port and the bridge as well.

Tides are pretty decent (2m movement) this week, and from experience ... water screams in and out of the Ross.

If you get there at a good time, there's a neat little beach that you can stand on and cast on to the flats (in relative safety) ... on the up river side. They empty out very quick, there's also a fairly steep drop off. I've often had fun drifting baits and watching them slide off the ledge into the mouth of waiting fish.

It's sort of kayak fishing ... mainly because I used my kayak to get there.

Hope you get out and have some fun.

tracti
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by tracti » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Did think there will be a bit of boat traffic there because of the boat ramp just down from it. I'll see if I can sound out any deep holes while I'm there, mind you my sounder is only dsi so don't normally see fish but it's good for structure. Will try at first light hopefully a little quieter

tracti
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by tracti » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:48 pm

So was great to get out finally, fair bit of boat traffic which was to be expected but they where all pretty good giving me plenty of room. As for the fishing, few little finger marks to start with, then some sweet lip and a couple of decent spotted cod. In all pretty good well worth getting up for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Nice work Tracti.

Those gold-spot cod are top eating if in the smaller sizes (just over legal to about 2-3kg).

I have found the majority of boaties up here to be really good around kayaks - though have also encountered the odd #*%&head. You shouldn't have any problems so long as you don't go charging out in front of them.

dave dudley
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Hobie Quest Fisherman

The Townsville Crew

#6 Post by dave dudley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:52 am

I bought a dual sport bike before Xmas and caught up with a group of TSV Adventure Riders over a drink and dinner at the Seaview on Friday there was no president or director just a loose group with similar interest they just picked a date and turned up, was great to put names to faces and plan an event next month where a fair turn out is likely. The TSV mob of yak fishes seems to struggle a bit for a big team fish day or a get together is anyone interested in putting dates forward for a big fish day and or a counter meal.

Last year I remember a few of us hit West Point, it wasn't a bad day out. Always fun when a group turns up for a dawn assault. If nothing else a bundle of yak fishers heading out would make for a bloody good photo.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”