Rel opinion

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
berndb
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: rowes bay qld

Rel opinion

#1 Post by berndb » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:41 am

I know this should be in tackle talk, but I used my first point of entry

has anyone used the penn spinfisher reels?
NorthSIKer you are the authority on this - what is your opinon?
I've been to Fishing Warehouse and was impressed by their attention, advise and help ( more than I have received from any of the other stores ) and even asked them to put a 4500SV aside until I've built up my budget.
Anybody has any good advise for a water resistant+good drag reel? :?:

berndb
KFDU Angler

Re: Rel opinion

#2 Post by berndb » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:51 am

sorry guys - it should read Reel opinion

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#3 Post by Whisky » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:48 pm

I am a fan of Penn and have several legacy Penn spinfishers (not the sealed SV type though). Although a bit heavy and do not have 12 ball bearings, they are bomb proof. Plus it won't hurt much if you lose it. I found that the recent Chinese made ones are better made than the previous USA made ones.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Sorry berndb - I have been away.

I am no expert on reels by a long shot. But I know who is. I have been reading this guys reviews and comments for over a decade and I think it is easily the most detailed and honest/ non-biased reviews of saltwater spin reels anywhere. Shimano made changes to their Stella following the faults he picked up in the latest model (other firms including Penn and Quantum have also made changes after reviews) - this guy is well regarded in the industry.

Penn Spinfisher review in eye-watering detail :wink: :
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/spf.html
Not all that positive to be honest. The reel IS NOT sealed.

As a guide to your purchase an article on the best spin reels for 2015 in different price categories:
http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr15.html

And more simply some lists:
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

Looks like the cheapest decently sealed reel today is the Shimano Spheros. Below that, the best options (if you need to hold up against water) is a simple locomotive drive in one of the picks of the lower budget reels and pack the gear box with marine grease (and grease everything else you can think of). USA surf fisherman have been doing this for decades and Mr Hawk recommends it himself.

If you are not as fussed with water resistance (E.g. don't think the reel will ever be dunked or drenched by a breaking wave) the choices get easier.

berndb
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by berndb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:42 pm

thanks guys,
I am at the moment using a less expensive Shimano Sahara with frequent opening and cleaning out the corrosion, have also replaced the rod with one having a higher reel seat but will probably still go for the 4500SV, albeit heavier, but a safer option.
just waiting for more friendly winds (for my kayak) and the scars to heal more.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”