KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Quest Fisherman

Sunday the 1st Report Dave and Gerry

#1 Post by dave dudley » Sun May 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Weather excellent
Water temp cool
Water Vis very good

How'd it go, initially shit. We Paddled toward West Point and stopped at right angles to middle reef about a km or so away and Gerry got one shark about 70cm but nothing else. We then paddled toward the western marker and nothing again, and after now a couple of hours I was very despondent and at risk of a tantrum. I then said I would try my old mark again, and within ten minutes I had bagged 5 nice grunter all 40 and above. So initially a bad day but the gods smiled and a tantrum averted.

Of interest a nice pod of dolphins swam past very close, a few turtles as well but the highlight was a larger than normal shark showing interest in my dilli bag of grunter. Unfortunately I don't have a new yak with a keeper hole so I use my dilli bag over the edge lashed to the yak. Anyway pesky shark of at least 6 foot gave my rudder a nice little test. He either bumped it or had a tasting I'm not sure but even though I then stowed the catch on board he was hanging around and gave me a few close passes.

Other than that nothing further to report, a lot of yak fishers on the water today.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Sunday the 1st Report Dave and Gerry

#2 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon May 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Nice work Dave - you clearly are the grunter hunter!

With the sharks, they do seem to like the rudder - on a couple of occasions I have had them (smaller than yours) bite the rudder whilst paddling. Scary as hell for the first second or two until you work out what is going on. I have read some accounts from crazy sea kayakers that have paddled across the north (several now have circumnavigated Australia!) and they report small sharks occasionally biting the rudder in the north, particularly in dirtier water.

dave dudley
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Quest Fisherman

Re: Sunday the 1st Report Dave and Gerry

#3 Post by dave dudley » Mon May 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes a good day had I thought

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”