Anyone out there

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
fishing addict
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

Re: Anyone out there

#16 Post by fishing addict » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 am

I used to catch mackerel off those headlands with metal slugs in winter back in the day. Anything firing up at west point at the moment? I am not adverse to paddling long distances.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#17 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:01 am

Not sure on what the fish about at the moment are (haven't been out due to shoulder).

A good bet, particularly for a low tide, is to paddle straight over to the middle of the island and fish around the flats. Then you can either head right to middle reef area (and if keen breakfast at Picnic Bay) or left to West Point.

For some reason I have never done too well on the kayak at West Point itself - but there are definitely plenty of fish in that area.

nobillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ex-South Coast NSW but Townsville region now
Kayaks: Hobie 13 Revo OK 4.5 Prowler Elite Malibu Stealth(past) OK 4.1 Trident

#18 Post by nobillie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:52 pm

This is the first time in months I've been on the forum; and unfortunately, sold my Hobie Revo last year as well! But sort of keen to start looking at buying another kayak. Ocean Kayak probably. Between crocs, 'kandji, stingers and tiger sharks, there's just a bit too much fun out there. Interesting tale about the Bull shark in the creek just before Pallarenda, is that the same creek in the park which is popular with Kite-surfers?
Anyway, going to get motivated to kayak-fish again.

I'll give Ian a nudge,...haven't spoken to him for a while either.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#19 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:57 pm

What sort of Ocean Kayak are you considering nobillie?

Don't worry about the sharks - there are tons out there (and big ones too) but you'd be very unlucky to have a problem with one.

Dress right and you don't need to worry about the irikandji, stingers or for that matter the sun either.

Fair enough to worry about the crocs - just need a kayak that keeps you offshore and that is mostly sorted as well :)

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#20 Post by nobillie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:56 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:What sort of Ocean Kayak are you considering nobillie?

Don't worry about the sharks - there are tons out there (and big ones too) but you'd be very unlucky to have a problem with one.

Dress right and you don't need to worry about the irikandji, stingers or for that matter the sun either.

Fair enough to worry about the crocs - just need a kayak that keeps you offshore and that is mostly sorted as well :)
I used to own a OK 4.5; great kayak, a little too big for the southern estuaries. I would be looking at a 4.3 probably.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#21 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Nice - will certainly get you out and about in the Bay.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#22 Post by nobillie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:40 am

So is anyone still keen to go out? Not just for a random trip, but I'm thinking maybe once fortnight in a small group. I know that difficult with work commitments etc. But as an idea. I'm not into long jaunts around the island, but wouldn't mind fishing the shoals or Middle Reef. Still haven't bought a kayak, but will if there's some interest. Why, not go out alone? You might ask. Since being up here for nearly two years, having lived and run a small business on Maggie, I've done a little diving, fishing ( until I sold my Trailcraft ) in the course of all those activities have learnt lots about the interesting wildlife here, AND incidentally a good chop in the bay when it blows a bit. Always a good idea to go out with a 'buddy' if going 'offshore'.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#23 Post by LODO » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:12 am

You are absolutely right nobillie. The chop between the island and mainland can be quite offputting ... at best.

Something I have noticed in townsville, is that we pretty much always have somewhere to get to ... especially if based on the Island. I learned over time, that if I was prepared to put up with an hour paddle through some chop, I'd get to West Point, Cockle Bay, Picnic Bay etc ... even Rowes Bay, Kissing Point can be quite calm when the rest of the place is getting a little un-inviting.

It's one of those things, if we put in the time to learn and work with the wind and swell, and also learn what we are capable of dealing with on the water ... the more experiences we have. Once upon a time I would NEVER go out if it was choppy, whereas now I look forward to the fun of playing in a wave on my return trip. That being said, a Hobie PA is not the type of yak you want to be in with the messy stuff.

I have always said I would always go out with a buddy, that's probably why I haven't been on the water so much lately ... lack of buddies getting out there. Hence the sale of my two kayaks, I am purchasing a Tandem Island. A big tri-maran ... I doubt will have too many troubles in our small chop we get around here.

I'm all for the social type outings and learning more off other paddlers. Unfortunately, the month of Feb is out for me. I am currently selling both of my kayaks and will be delivering them down south in the first week of March. At which point, I will be returning with the new (used) vessel.

Once I am back in Townsville (9 March), I will be looking to get well and truly stuck in to being out on the water again.

Look forward to meeting up.

Cheers
Mike.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#24 Post by nobillie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Hey Mike,
Had a look at some Ocean Kayaks at Freddie's ... bargain basement prices. Despite the pricing I'm still not decided about buying a kayak again. ( Had 7 in the past, including a beautiful Hobie which I sold in 2015 ) Looks I might be up here in North Queensland for a few more years yet. Might be going back to a 4.2 tinnie with reasonable high sides, and 4-stroke. Other than going west, and explore freshwater systems might sway me to buy a kayak.

Good luck with the sale of your kayaks. A tri-hull set-up sounds exciting. cheers, John

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”